To TL or Not to TL?

I just replaced the tweeters, capacitors and resistors on my SDA 2's, and absolutely love the sound. Unfortunately it's made me just want more, so I'm looking at upgrading to bigger speakers. I heard a friend's Martin Logans recently and actually preferred my SDA 2's to them in almost every way except for the wall of sound the ML's put out. The 2's can put out sound, but they lack the presence of the ML's. I've preliminarily narrowed it down the the 2.3's, but I don't know if I should look for 2.3TL's instead. I've read some of the comparisons on the forums here, but I wanted to get your opinions on which way to go (and try to up my post count. I'm starting a project to create a wall of video games and stereos this summer and I'll have some old stuff to sell. I figure that gives me a couple of months to find 100 things to say. :smile: )

My room is about 12' x 20' with an open kitchen on the right and the 20' wall on the left. The speakers have to be on the 12' wall because I can't sit in the kitchen to listen. I listen about 6' in front of the back wall. Right now speakers are about 1.5' into the room with an entertainment system between them, but that will change when I start my video game wall project. I included my other equipment in the signature below.

I've also considered trying other companies, but I've had the SDA 2's for 30 years and I've been indoctrinated to their sound. I've gone to RMAF the last couple of years and have mostly been unimpressed - or at least not impressed enough to spend thousands more to get a small upgrade. The only speakers that had me drooling were the Davones, and I was intrigued by Bob Carver's speakers, but not $20,000 worth of intrigued.

Thank your for reading my rambling and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited February 2018
    My 2 cents. Unless you can get the bigger SDA's on the long wall you're not going to get the best results and may be hampering your current results. SDA's really need a minimum of a 15 foot wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited February 2018
    I had my 2B's on my narrow wall, roughly 13', was the bare minimum and they did pretty good.

Once I put them on the long wall, 28', they really opened up. Having them 18" from the wall is hurting you, in bass and likely soundstage but not 100% sure on the staging part.
    I have 2.3TL's now on the long wall and they fill the room much better. Not saying the 2B's did bad on the long wall...they just performed better than the short wall.

Proper placement is paramount.

Forgot to ask, are you using the interconnect cable?
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Yes, I have the cable and it works well. I really can't find much wrong with what I have other than a little muddiness in the low midrange, which I suspect is due to the walls, and I'm jealous of the wall of sound I heard from my friend's MLs. Plus, and this is more important, I'm in a sweet spot where I have a little extra money and my wife isn't mad at me - yet.

Are you thinking that the 2's on a 12' wall would sound better than 2.3's on the same wall? I could probably move the speakers more into the kitchen area to get them close to 15', but that would cost wife points.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Jesse is right about the bigger SDA’s. Better to look for a pair of 1c’s for that room, or perhaps a set of Magnepan MG 1.6 and a nice subwoofer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    You might try room treatment. It worked wonders for me.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"