What do use to stream music to your Hi-Fi ??

13»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Yeah, thought about that, or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

But it's still added cost on top of the $650 the Yamaha already costs.
    erniejade wrote: »
    Get s netgear orbi mesh setup your wireless extender will have ethernet and you can set it up by the yamaha. Problem solved and better wireless coverage in the house.

Lemme get a job where you work if this sort of gear is what you consider affordable! :lol:
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Lumin S1. While I don’t stream, yet, it does support Tidal, and some other high-res streaming source.

Wow nice looking boutique unit. Thanks for the tip.
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    If you can do ethernet, Sonore Ultra Rendu with LPS-1 power supply and DC-4 power cable. Substitute microRendu for Ultra to save $200, but I think it's worth the upcharge.

Yeah, you've mentioned concerns regarding the sound quality. Auralic Aries Mini looking more and more tempting.
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd advise against bluesound.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I for one think my Bluesound Node 2 sounds excellent. At that price, the first node is a no-brainer to me. The general consensus seems to be there are only hair splitting differences in sound quality between the Node 2 and Aries Mini.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2018
    I thought I had posted in this thread earlier, but I guess I didn't.

I am very happy with my streaming/Hi-Rez setup and it was all purchased for under $300.

First, I snagged a Teac UD-301 for under $250.
    Teac.com

I think it might have been "factory refurbished," but that didn't matter to me. It had the same warranty terms as "new." You have to watch eBay to get under $250. Mine was on sale for $222. Current lowest is $277.

BONUS: It has a pretty decent headphone output!

Grabbed a Belkin Gold USB cable ($5-$10 on eBay). Yes there are fancier, more expensive ones, but most of the hardcore guys at Headfi have found the Belkin Gold to be more than adequate.

Finally, I found a super cheap Dell/WYSE thin client PC to run Daphile (open source Linux based on Squeezebox). Daphile can support squeexebox plugins (Tidal, Spotify, etc.)

https://www.daphile.com/

The Dell/WYSE to find is the 5000 series based on the AMD G-T48E (search for D90D7/DX0D/T48E). All you need is one with 2GB RAM and 8GB SSD. Mine had AC wireless built in, but those seem hard to find. I grabbed mine new in box for $27.
    Here is an example of one:

Ebay Link

Wipe the SSD with something like Gparted live, make an install USB with Daphile and load it, setup the IP address. 10 minutes later you can direct any web browser to the IP and setup your library, etc. Daphile has no issues playing anything I've thrown at it. It boots in about 30 seconds and has never crashed on me.

My files are streamed by AC-class wifi from my server in another room and the Dell/WYSE is fanless, so this setup is completely quiet.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Clipdat
    Nice job, very cool. Daphile looks pretty nice.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited February 2018
    Bluesound Node 2 works fine especially if streaming to quality external DAC . It also has had many UI upgrades since the original Node/UI.

I am using Node2 to Brooklyn DAC+ with coax interconnect.Also using Roon. 1's and 0's get to the DAC+ just fine. Sound quality is incredible.

DAC+ can deal with anything including vinyl.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    I'm using a Raspberry Pi loaded with the Volumio player software feeding a Twisted Pear Buffalo III dac. The little Pi player is without a doubt the best c note I have spent on audio.
  • Clipdat
    Update: I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p that I'm going to put Daphile on this weekend.

@msg you would like this too
  • billbillw
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Update: I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p that I'm going to put Daphile on this weekend.

How did the Daphile setup go?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308

Yes, agreed, Daphile is a neat little platform. Very clean. I think you might even be able to use the Squeeze Android apps to control it?

I tried Daphile a while back a couple of different ways when I was looking for a way to get a Squeezebox player into the home office setup without actually having a Squeezebox. I had Daphile running live at first on an old computer, and then as a VM to tie into Logitech Media Server, running off of the same box I was running VMware Workstation in with Daphile running. Inception? :)

@billbillw - I like that thin client you picked up - i can't get over some of the deals you manage

Now I'm running Squeezeplay as an application on the main LMS computer, which is also the main computer I use in that space. I have a USB DAC connected out to a little stereo I've set up in that space. Had to play with the sync settings a little bit to have it sync up with the other players in the house, but it's pretty cool.

Daphile or piCorePlayer are great options for diy Squeezeplayers and streaming. Even though Logitech isn't officially support the platform anymore, one of the Logitech programmers is still very active in the community, along with a few other developers. The platform still supports a ton of services. Local/LAN, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Tune-In, DI.FM and its sub-channels, and pretty much any internet radio. I'll be running it 'til it dies.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    It went pretty smoothly, the instructions on the website were adequate to get everything going. The only thing I may need to go back and revisit is setting it up to use a static IP address. Also, I need to figure out how to get di.fm going on it, since that was going to be my primary use for it. I think I might have to create an account at mysqueezebox.com and then load the di.fm app onto Daphile. Not sure of the exact best way to accomplish what I'm looking to do.

But the interface itself is nice, have not tried accessing the web browser based interface from a mobile device yet though. Anyway, thanks again for the recommendation, I think it'll work out nicely with that Lenovo machine since the fan "should be" inaudible. I like that Daphile sets the CPU clock close to it's minimum frequency, so that excessive heat and power are not used unnecessarily.

Is there any "long term" maintenance that needs to be done to keep it running, from an updates and/or security perspective? Sorry if that question sounds dumb, but I'm just used to Windows constantly updating itself. Also with some of the networking features it has, like the open network shares to drop files onto it, I just am trying to cover all my bases in regards to not having a machine open that could potentially be exploited in some way, if someone was able to get into my network in the first place that is.
    billbillw wrote: »
    How did the Daphile setup go?

I'm eager to fully get it up and running with the HRT Music Streamer HD. A USB powered DAC like this is great because I can just place it alongside the Lenovo and it won't eat up another power plug on my strip.

I might be hitting you up for help getting some of the streaming services you mentioned below going!
    msg wrote: »
    Daphile or piCorePlayer are great options for diy Squeezeplayers and streaming. Even though Logitech isn't officially support the platform anymore, one of the Logitech programmers is still very active in the community, along with a few other developers. The platform still supports a ton of services. Local/LAN, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Tune-In, DI.FM and its sub-channels, and pretty much any internet radio. I'll be running it 'til it dies.

• billbillw
    edited February 2018

@Clipdat, It is easy to go back and setup static IP in the network settings within Daphile.

It is not easy to do it on first install. I got messed up with that the first time. So you did the right thing to just let it default to hotspot or DHCP at first.

No worries about security updates, etc. Its Linux...You can check for updates occasionally, but this is pretty stable. The last update was last fall. Overall, don't worry.

As for setting up Di.fm, you need to create a squeezebox account at mysqueezebox.com, add the app from the App Gallery, and then manage it within Daphile under the Advanced Media Server Settings. I haven't done this yet myself, but I might try it out soon.
    7pi9jax5l3eo.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Hey @billbillw I just wanted to thank you again for the Daphile recommendation! I finally tried it out tonight and it worked perfectly. I used the static station URLs provided by my DI.FM premium subscription and set them up as favorites within Daphile. Worked like a charm. It was great being able to control things from my phone's web browser.

Sounded nice as well through the HRT Music Streamer HD DAC!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    For Streaming I use a sonos connect.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    For Streaming I use a sonos connect.

So easy, a caveman can do it. I have 2, one is a Cullen modded box that removes a bit of hash from these cheaper streaming devices.

I'm a bit upset at them though, not because of the product per say, but because their mobile app sucks and they stopped making that color hand held controller.

The controller off the cd's for the computer is way better than the mobile app. I may just look for a used touchscreen laptop and load that controller on it. My hand held is starting to get dead spots in the middle, a common problem with them, but it is 6 years old and has worked without a problem under heavy use. All they had to do was mimic that hand held in a mobile app....but nooo. It was so easy to use my 70 year old mother in-law picked it up in under 3 minutes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • billbillw
    Hey @billbillw I just wanted to thank you again for the Daphile recommendation! I finally tried it out tonight and it worked perfectly. I used the static station URLs provided by my DI.FM premium subscription and set them up as favorites within Daphile. Worked like a charm. It was great being able to control things from my phone's web browser.

Sounded nice as well through the HRT Music Streamer HD DAC!

Glad it worked out for you. As a follow up to my previous post, I have tried to use the squeezebox apps (setup in mysqueezebox.com) and haven't had much success so far. For some reason, they never show up in Daphile. I've got the password/acct info in Daphile, I've tried disabling other apps in Daphile. Nothing seems to work. Not sure if I have a firewall issue or what. For the time, I've given up.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited June 2018
    I am not familiar with Daphile, but I use three Logitech Squeezebox Touches in my place without issue. One outputs a digital signal to a Peachtree Audio hybrid novaPre with built-in DAC...very nice. The second SBT is currently outputting USB to an Outlaw RR2150, and the third is sending two-channel analog into a little class-T amp in my wife's yoga room.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon