Recommendation for turntable

Comments

• Sumerian
    Sumerian Posts: 490
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Sumerian wrote: »
    Almost every search pops Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB
    Is it really that good?

No. It's just one of many clones of the old (not the current) Panasonic/Technics SL-1200. It should be perfectly OK but it's nothing special. There's nothing wrong a priori with a "DJ" table -- except for some of the models that have short, straight arms with a headshell with no "offset". Such decks are made for scratching; not for listening to records. They won't allow proper alignment of the phono cartridge.

Here's an example. This model's arm looks to be proper length, but note the "straight" headshell -- it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to align the cartridge (stylus) to be maximally aliigned to the record groove across the surface of the record with that headshell. Also note that the guts of this tt are essentially identical to that Onkyo discussed earlier. This is another Hanpin OEM tt.

u6iztgyi25ul.png

The A-T may or may not be made by Hanpin; I don't know.

Rega Planar also has similar arm
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    The Hanpins seem to be perfectly OK. I think that the aforementioned, neurotic ;)vinylista* look down their noses at them partly due to good old jingoism (they're... they're... gasp... Chinese!) and partly because they're pretty accurate clones of the SL-1200. The SL-1200 itself draws scorn from a segment of the vinylista because -- gasp!! -- they were sold to, bought by, and used by -- DJs.

Heavens.

:p

3v5ldwtkmd4t.png

The Pioneer is likely no better nor worse than most of the clones. It's not inexpensive, but its not outrageous either. I am sure they're fine -- but -- yeah, it's not going to impress anyone (if that's a key point for any one!). ;)

... and don't get me started about specifications, especially when it comes to tts :)

4mger0aumnnm.png

Actually, when I did my research I almost went with one of the Pioneer 1000's as they had stellar reviews. A couple from real table guys that turned their nose up at DD tables. There were a couple of issues that proved to be taken care of. In the end it appears they did a great job on this table. Can be had for $600, but, that is without a cartridge.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Straight up ...In the TT work you get what you pay for
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2018
    Almost every search pops Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB
    Is it really that good?

No. It's just one of many clones of the old (not the current) Panasonic/Technics SL-1200. It should be perfectly OK but it's nothing special. There's nothing wrong a priori with a "DJ" table -- except for some of the models that have short, straight arms with a headshell with no "offset". Such decks are made for scratching; not for listening to records. They won't allow proper alignment of the phono cartridge.

Here's an example. This model's arm looks to be proper length, but note the "straight" headshell -- it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to align the cartridge (stylus) to be maximally aliigned to the record groove across the surface of the record with that headshell. Also note that the guts of this tt are essentially identical to that Onkyo discussed earlier. This is another Hanpin OEM tt.

u6iztgyi25ul.png

The A-T may or may not be made by Hanpin; I don't know.

Rega Planar also has similar arm
    touche :p

... well... sort of. It is meant to be used with offset, though.
    Plus, the Rega arms (as Ken pointed out earlier in -- I think -- this thread) are very good.

ci8v6lsyb626.png

That Stanton arm just has a standard Japanese-style "SME compatible headshell" mounted on a straight tube with no offset.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Back in the day i use to send quite a bit of time before i picked anything. This time i wish its simple and fast:-)
    As Doc says, don't suffer from analysis paralysis, but it'll happen with turntables before you realize it, and some research is definitely warranted here.

It can be as simple or complex as you want, but if you set yourself some solid boundaries that will help narrow the options.

Primarily
    1. What gear will you need to get started, and
    2. How much do you we got to spend?
    3. What are your expectations for quality?

You listed a $600 budget figure.
    Looks like you're gonna need a phono preamp as well, yes?
    Is that to be included in the budget figure?

Are you okay going cheap to get started to see if you like the process, or do you want to be serious enough that this table provides quality performance? If it's just for fun and you don't care that much about vinyl care, you can go super cheap. It's when you want quality and equipment that won't tear up your records that things start to tick up, as I'm sure you're aware.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Sumerian
    Thanks a bunch guys for the replies appreciate your time to respond.

600$ is my budget for TT alone.
    That being said i would appreciate recommendation on phono stage.
    Don't want to go cheap. Need some thing that can go well with my current setup. At the same time don't want to go overboard.

• Sumerian
    edited February 2018
    Based on what i read so far rega planer 2 or 3 seems to be a safe bet. Looks like i have spend some more time
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Anything from Rega is a safe bet. (side note: don't let the visual similarities between the AT arm, and Rega arm fool you. The Rega arm is in an entirely superior league.)

As for phono stage. I would give the relatively new Mobile Fidelity StudioPhono a very serious look. For only $250ish you get adjustable gain, and loading, as well as a subsonic filter. This would allow you to go with just about any cartridge on the market. I haven't heard one personally, but reviews seem to be very favorable so far.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2018
    My semi-humble recommendation for a turntable that works to help extract information from a record is anything that has either a Rega RB200 or RB300 tonearm on it. If you want to hear what's on the record that arm is hard to beat any any reasonable price.
    Ahhhh, ditto on SQ. FYI on the RB300 - don't sell it short.

I recent read a super-tweak/geek tone arm review (mounted on a Linn). The reviewer (positively) mentioned the 300 and the reviewed ($$$$) arm in the same SQ breath.

I plan to retire by the end of 2019 w/my, from the late 80s, resurrected Rega P3 that came w/that arm. Cartridge to be determined.

I must confess, setting up a cart on a P3/300 is challanging to say the least. But, unlike many of those floating chassis designs, it's set and forget. I realize it's like comparing EFI to to multiple carbs on a race car. I prefer driving to tuning/tweaking.

TEHO, Tony.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2018
    Do you want a tube or SS phono stage?

Park's Audio Budgie. $399. I currently use a Budgie SUT (Step Up Transformer) for my LOMC (Low Output Moving Coil cartridge). The SUT allows a LOMC cartridge to be used with an MM phono stage. The SUT provides passive gain without noise.

http://parksaudiollc.com/budgiepreamp.html

If you have some soldering experience, a Bottlehead kit punches way above its price point. Bottlehead Reduction with Integration upgrade. $538.

https://bottlehead.com/?product=reduction-phono-preamplifier-kit

Bottlehead Eros, my current stage. $749.

https://bottlehead.com/?product=eros-phono-preamplifier-kit

Music Hall pa1.2. $175. They have a 2.2 for $399. I sold a Nottingham Space 294 (a $4K retail table) to a friend and the PA1.2 was able to show the difference from the table he upgraded from.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_823PA12/Music-Hall-pa1-2.html?tp=204&awcr=12166399798&awdv=c&awkw=music+hall+phono&awmt=e&awnw=o&awat=

My Eros with custom crotch walnut base.

i1mkc3h3m8z2.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'd say get yourself an auto return and shutoff TT from technics or Some other great brand from the past. They don't make auto returns in most TT's of today. I used to like falling asleep to something playing and know it will be back to off and the arm back in its holder.

I like convenience. I loved CDs when they came out. No more flipping a record every 30 minutes to hear the rest of the Album.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Sumerian
    edited February 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    I'd say get yourself an auto return and shutoff TT from technics or Some other great brand from the past. They don't make auto returns in most TT's of today. I used to like falling asleep to something playing and know it will be back to off and the arm back in its holder.

I like convenience. I loved CDs when they came out. No more flipping a record every 30 minutes to hear the rest of the Album.

Agree but buying a used one is whole different game especially from sites like eBay.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    No eBay for me UNLESS a local seller lists one.

Local thrift stores, Pawn shops, yard sales, Craigs List and all the other NEW sites that local people post on. Goodwill stores, Habitat for Humanity / Resale Store also. I just remembered..Estate sales..some are pre-advertised for pre-buys. ;)

Church Bazaars are my favorite "Honey Holes". :pB)
  • Sumerian
    Can you please help me understand what is the life of Cartridge? Like a exact cartridge which is used for 400 hours does it have any life left in it?
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    8 hrs. a day for 50 days?

I would say heck yea, years more life should be left in it. If you're worried about dependability, I think you should purchase a Staunton DJ needle to go on a Staunton cartridge. The Needle Doctor sells them. They sound fine to me. I own one, I think. I might have sold it though.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2018
    Can you please help me understand what is the life of Cartridge? Like a exact cartridge which is used for 400 hours does it have any life left in it?

Perhaps you mean stylus life? One should get ~ 1000 hours with correct setup with CLEAN and good condition records with careful cueing. No DJ scratching...lol By setup I mean proper alignment and within spec (not excessive) stylus tracking force. The cartridge manufacturer will supply the range of stylus force expressed in grams, like 1.5 to 2.0. Some folks use USB microscopes to monitor stylus condition.

Type of stylus can affect life. Shibata or fine line, micro linear may get less. These are smaller and get deeper into the groove. The advantage is they can get below any groove damage done by larger stylus allowing for quieter playback.

The cartridge itself, life is much longer. Years. Decades. MM or Moving Magnet cartridges typically have a user replaceable stylus. MC or Moving Coil stylus are not user replaceable. You go to Soundsmith or get a new cartridge. Manufacturers of MC cartridges may allow for a substantial trade in discount.

The reason they make MM and MC is for vinyl guys to argue about what's better. :D MC has less mass to excite and can be more responsive but with less output, like .3mV. Then you need Step Up Transformers or MC phono stages to get the output higher for playback.

Starting out I say definitely go with MM cartridges. Imagine bending or tearing a stylus/cantilever out of a $1,000 dollar MC cartridge. Wear out or mess up your Grado Black, ~$60 for a stylus.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I have the PLX-1000.
    Easy to set up and operate.
    I have had no issues.
    Very quiet with no feedback.
    No loose tonearm bearings.
    Don't notice any wow&flutter.
    It also looks good with my black theme.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Sumerian
    Folks planning to buy Planar 3 is it worth getting it with elsys cartridge or get a different cartridge?
    Appreciate your feed back.
  • kharp1
    I was really leaning towards the PLX-1000 before I bought the ProJect. Got such a good deal on the ProJect that I couldn't pass it up. Everything I read about the Pioneer was good, and there was a lot of owner reviews available.
  • Sumerian
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I was really leaning towards the PLX-1000 before I bought the ProJect. Got such a good deal on the ProJect that I couldn't pass it up. Everything I read about the Pioneer was good, and there was a lot of owner reviews available.
    Thanks for the response but isn't it oriented more towards DJ's?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nah, we use Technics.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nah, we use Technics.

You're not one of those silly people that touches a records grooves with your fingertips, are you? :o
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2018
    When you're spinning vinyl it's pretty much necessary to, at least at the beginning when you're getting it queued up.

Edit: By "spinning vinyl", I actually mean what DJs do. Not just playing a record.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    You're not one of those silly people that touches a records grooves with your fingertips, are you? :o

• kharp1
    kharp1 wrote: »

To some degree, yes, however, Fremer, from Stereophile gave it a rave review as have others. The DJ community is still in love with the Technics, but, without a fresh supply of 1200's many are finding that the Pioneer does very well. Time may show that the Pioneer ends up with just as big a following as the old Technics.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    When you're spinning vinyl it's pretty much necessary to, at least at the beginning when you're getting it queued up.

Edit: By "spinning vinyl", I actually mean what DJs do. Not just playing a record.

I was referring to using ones feeyangers to make the record go back and forth at the needle and making those silly sounds. Sort of like a sound effect for waxing a car or....self abuse.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Viking64 wrote: »

I was referring to using ones feeyangers to make the record go back and forth at the needle and making those silly sounds. Sort of like a sound effect for waxing a car or....self abuse.
    A/k/a "scratching"....waka, waka, waka.

Sumerian, if you give us your locale, we can checkout Craigslist items in your area for maybe a good vintage deck. As Tony M mentioned, think about what features you want like fully-auto, semi-auto, or full manual. I have found that auto-return is a requirement for me personally.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Sumerian
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the response John.
    I am looking for good sounding turntable i don't have option to upgrade so i have get it right first time.
    I am located in New Jersey, wanted to keep the budget below 1000$
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    If you're in upper NJ AND Dale was still running the place, I'd suggest CSA Audio in Upper Montclair. Or if it's still open, and Dale ran it, CSA Audio in Bernardsville.

However I had bought and used to work for whom I believe is running the Upper Montclair store these days and I'd take my business elsewhere. Not that couldn't get something there to serve your needs, you can. I don't like the (business attitude) direction he went about 20 years ago.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Sumerian
    I Found a rp6 with exact cartridge for 800$.
    2 years old. Will it be a better option than the ones discussed in this thread?
  • Sumerian
    Finally bought plx 1000 with ortofon bronze catridge.