Center channel for s60 towers

So looking for some advice. I purchased a pair of s60 towers which I love and have been running them with a paradigm cc190 center channel. I really noticed for the first time yesterday watching a movie the tonal difference between these speakers. I love the cc190 but now I am thinking of selling it and getting either the s35 or s30 center. The cc190 is a true 3 way so what do all of you suggest. As stated just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance

Comments

• mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,483
    That's a decent speaker, but timbre matching is important. Either Polk will be nice. I personally like the low profile of the S35. One of my friends has the S60/S30 combo and it definitely sounds good. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • Placement and size is not an issue so really undecided at this point but the timbre matching is not there with the combo I am running now. I have heard there are pros and cons to each Polk Center. Might try the s30 as it has the same size woofers.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,668
    If you decide on the S30 I've got a like new unit for sale.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • I am north of the border in good ol canada
  • Did you not like the s30?
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,780
    firsttimer wrote: »
    Did you not like the s30?

He's a dealer, and not much of an HT guy...2-chnl brother ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.
    Living Room
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Yamaha BD-S681, Auralic Aries Mini, Polk S60, CSiA6, Samsung 60" LED
    Office
    B&K Ref 50, B&K 200.2, Chromecast, LSiM 703s
    Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Right. I simply don't have the space for them now.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

What did you not like about the s35 compared to the s30?
  • DSkip wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Right. I simply don't have the space for them now.

Not sure if you can answer this but have you heard either of these Center channel speakers. I am running two velodyne 10 inch subs that handle the bass so bass output is not an issue for the Center. I do like the full sound of the paradigm but I really noticed the timbre match and now it is really audible to me. Anyways thanks for any input. I guess I am going to have try either and see how it will sound and make sure if I do not like can return and try the other. Might be the best option. Thanks
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,312
    The s30 is going to sound a bit more fuller, simply because of the larger drivers. If you have the room to fit the larger size, I'd say go with the 30.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • firsttimer wrote: »
    I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

While the 35 was detailed it just seem to be lacking the dynamics of more traditional centers with larger drivers. At low volume in scenes where actors where talking quietly or whispering I struggled to hear even with the settings at +6.

I did not try the 30 but would think with the larger drivers it would perform better. I had a CSiA6 that was not in use and replaced the 35. The timbre does not match but it works for me for now. I am actually considering 30 myself.
    Living Room
    Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Yamaha BD-S681, Auralic Aries Mini, Polk S60, CSiA6, Samsung 60" LED
    Office
    B&K Ref 50, B&K 200.2, Chromecast, LSiM 703s
    Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Thanks for all the input looks like toe 30 it is. Will pick one up this weekend. I will let you know my thoughts
    They're spot on. Fuller vs more detailed and richer midrange. I'd give the nod to the s30. The s35 seems like they would be great surround speakers.
    audiothesis.com/

• Thanks so much now I just need to find a s30 in stock locally seems all stores that sell them are out of stock
  • firsttimer wrote: »
    I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

While the 35 was detailed it just seem to be lacking the dynamics of more traditional centers with larger drivers. At low volume in scenes where actors where talking quietly or whispering I struggled to hear even with the settings at +6.

I did not try the 30 but would think with the larger drivers it would perform better. I had a CSiA6 that was not in use and replaced the 35. The timbre does not match but it works for me for now. I am actually considering 30 myself.

Supposed to be picking up an s30 tomorrow so will let you know what I think
  • Picked up an S30 this afternoon and hooked up to the home theatre. Ran Audyssey on my Denon avrx3300 and it set it to large. Did not realize it and thought it sounded a little flat. Changed it to small and what a difference. It matches the S60 towers wonderfully. The three speakers blend together very well. Dialogue is very crisp and clear. At this point I am very happy with changing out the paradigm to the S30. The front soundstage is much better now and the S30 has been a good addition. For all of you who are thinking of adding this Center so far I can recommend it.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,483
    Awesome. Enjoy! :)
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,406
    Yes the S30 is a nice center, enjoy :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk 80 F/X RT
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Must say I am pleasantly surprised at this point.