Center channel for s60 towers

So looking for some advice. I purchased a pair of s60 towers which I love and have been running them with a paradigm cc190 center channel. I really noticed for the first time yesterday watching a movie the tonal difference between these speakers. I love the cc190 but now I am thinking of selling it and getting either the s35 or s30 center. The cc190 is a true 3 way so what do all of you suggest. As stated just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    That's a decent speaker, but timbre matching is important. Either Polk will be nice. I personally like the low profile of the S35. One of my friends has the S60/S30 combo and it definitely sounds good. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
  • Placement and size is not an issue so really undecided at this point but the timbre matching is not there with the combo I am running now. I have heard there are pros and cons to each Polk Center. Might try the s30 as it has the same size woofers.
  • I am north of the border in good ol canada
  • Did you not like the s30?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    firsttimer wrote: »
    Did you not like the s30?

He's a dealer, and not much of an HT guy...2-chnl brother ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

What did you not like about the s35 compared to the s30?
  • DSkip wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    firsttimer wrote: »
    Did you not like the s30?

He's a dealer, and not much of an HT guy...2-chnl brother ;)

Right. I simply don't have the space for them now.

Not sure if you can answer this but have you heard either of these Center channel speakers. I am running two velodyne 10 inch subs that handle the bass so bass output is not an issue for the Center. I do like the full sound of the paradigm but I really noticed the timbre match and now it is really audible to me. Anyways thanks for any input. I guess I am going to have try either and see how it will sound and make sure if I do not like can return and try the other. Might be the best option. Thanks
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The s30 is going to sound a bit more fuller, simply because of the larger drivers. If you have the room to fit the larger size, I'd say go with the 30.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • firsttimer wrote: »
    I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

While the 35 was detailed it just seem to be lacking the dynamics of more traditional centers with larger drivers. At low volume in scenes where actors where talking quietly or whispering I struggled to hear even with the settings at +6.

I did not try the 30 but would think with the larger drivers it would perform better. I had a CSiA6 that was not in use and replaced the 35. The timbre does not match but it works for me for now. I am actually considering 30 myself.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Thanks for all the input looks like toe 30 it is. Will pick one up this weekend. I will let you know my thoughts
  • Thanks so much now I just need to find a s30 in stock locally seems all stores that sell them are out of stock
  • firsttimer wrote: »
    I have the s35 and it is boxed in the closet. I would get the s30.

While the 35 was detailed it just seem to be lacking the dynamics of more traditional centers with larger drivers. At low volume in scenes where actors where talking quietly or whispering I struggled to hear even with the settings at +6.

I did not try the 30 but would think with the larger drivers it would perform better. I had a CSiA6 that was not in use and replaced the 35. The timbre does not match but it works for me for now. I am actually considering 30 myself.

Supposed to be picking up an s30 tomorrow so will let you know what I think
  • Picked up an S30 this afternoon and hooked up to the home theatre. Ran Audyssey on my Denon avrx3300 and it set it to large. Did not realize it and thought it sounded a little flat. Changed it to small and what a difference. It matches the S60 towers wonderfully. The three speakers blend together very well. Dialogue is very crisp and clear. At this point I am very happy with changing out the paradigm to the S30. The front soundstage is much better now and the S30 has been a good addition. For all of you who are thinking of adding this Center so far I can recommend it.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Awesome. Enjoy! :)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Yes the S30 is a nice center, enjoy :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Must say I am pleasantly surprised at this point.