The Limits of CD’s

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Run Forest Run
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Alan_r
    Alan_r Posts: 164
    edited January 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Run Forest Run

The real question is “would I have been better off remaining ignorant or is being enlightened on a never ending path” the ultimately more satisfying way to live. ?.?.?.?.lol

So if a CD, 16 bit, uses most of its available space to record the actual music, what is being gained with increased resolution? Environmental factors? For example, are you sitting there to hear the music or the guy who coughs in the second movement? In real life I may get annoyed at a guy sitting behind me with a nasty cold. I’m there to hear music, not his immune response.

Besides that, I’ve come across a new word for my vocabulary. Dithering. By upsampling, are we not addin something that’s not there to begin with? How can that NAD M12 “add” something to what’s being read on the medium? That was kind of the point to my last post, if I pursue what I’m looking at, I’ll have multiple components capable of doing the same thing. Basically adding a flavor that wasn’t there. My mind can’t help but to compare it to the analogy of a meal cooked by a competent chef; you won’t find the “salt and pepper” anywhere on the table. You’re meant to taste it as it was presented. Adding to it changes what you were meant to experience.

Furthermore, adding to my confusion is the idea of, what “resolution” are my ears hearing at a live performance? Twisting it further, a studio recording; are we meant to hear it at the resolution it was recorded at? As in, the Chef is the Producer? Would listening to a direct copy of the Master on the exact same format not be exactly what was meant to b heard?

This is insane. Lol. I can see the nobility of an analog source connected directly to an amp, to the speakers. Are we really advancing here?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    Yes, we are hearing what somebody thinks sounds the best to THEM or their Co. board of directors want.

We are the testers. Thats all. We judge for ourselves what sounds good to us. Sometimes a large number of people agree on what sounds good or not. We might be in the majority group and we really don't have to be. We are all wired differently for the most part. But the master recording could've taken place after many different sesions and were recorded over time. The engineer and others then decides what they like and what the end and final recording compilation will sound close to what they think is right and acceptable. The Beach Boys and Steely Dan are tops for engineering their SOUND compilations. But their attention to detail came at a $$$$$ cost.

Chef analogy; If the chef cuts a carrot into chunks for his/her stew, you'll taste a hint of carrots in the stew. If the chef cuts the carrots into fine pieces, the stew will have a more profound taste of the carots since there's more surface, ( information) exposed to flavor the stew. Your taste buds will taste the difference, right?

I see your point about the information is there, period.

Well, the carrot amount doesn't change either, just the size of the BITS. :p

I personally loved an equalizer in my systems to add this or subtract that to make MY speakers sound great to ME. I don't have one now but I'm not against adding one later if I come across a nice deal. Heck, I have so many systems, I could add it to the system with the cheapest components and speakers and be a happy camper.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    And newer technology makes the taste buds get better and more flavor from the carrots. :p
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2018
    I think perhaps you need to learn more before speaking in absolutes about digital. ;)

Digital conversion is a nasty process that results in artifacts. A DAC designer has goals to reduce these artifacts. They will use oversampling or upsampling to employ different filters. There are different methods to achieve digital goals. You can't fix a bad recording but you can make it slightly better. Or you can leave it alone. Are you running SPDIF or I2S? Different DAC chips respond better to different types of input. With SPDIF, the DAC has to pull the clock out of the data stream. With I2S, the clock and data are separate.

If you want what you call unmoslested digital, look to NOS (non oversampling) DAC's. Or the Schitt Yggdrasil. They concentrate on optimal performance of the original recording through a unique digital filter algorithm.

The thing is to find a DAC that makes you happy. Currently I run a DIY DAC with a USB to I2S module that does 8x OSF using a semi minimum phase design for reduced pre-ringing. I run in synch, that is I use the high quality clock on the USB module instead of the high quality clock on the DAC board. OSF is turned off in my DAC. My digital is very close to my analog, but my analog wins cause there is only a RIAA equalization to go through.

And there are different ways to do that RIAA equalization. My phono stage RIAA is passive and done between the first and second gain stage. It does get complicated the deeper you look...if you want.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    All digital music "adds something" by the simple concept of sampling. It takes a sample, project what's going to be and fills it in...very roughly speaking. You're asking a one and a zero to fill in the entire listening frequency spectrum...again, roughly speaking.

In a DAC, I'm looking for one that smoothes out the rough digital edges and presents the signal in the most correctly time aligned method.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I have a pioneer Cd player that has duel Burr-Brown decoders in it, and that player was touted to be one of the best oversampling devices at the time.

Now I think OPPO has some other super duper decoders that have taken the digital information closer to analog sound than ever before.

Quite a few Manufacturers are putting out some $$$$$ SACD/CD only players that are supposed to sound like analog.

It's something to see 3 paths in our audio world now. Well sort-of anyway.

All digital. Downloads, steaming from air. :o
    Analog .. tape/vinyl B)
    SACD/CD B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Like SCompRacer said before: find something you like & just enjoy the music!

I used to be one of those looking to re-create the original performance in my room. Gave that up long ago when I realized that there is no chance of making a recording sound the same as being in a concert hall. As soon as the recording engineer chooses the mics, the sound has been colored. Don't believe me, just take a listen to Stereophile's original test CD, track #5, microphone comparisons. I was amazed at how different high quality studio mics can sound.

So I stopped tearing my hair out (while I still have some left) over finding perfect sound. You need to find your jumping off point and enjoy the music.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Like SCompRacer said before: find something you like & just enjoy the music! You need to find your jumping off point and enjoy the music.

Cheers, Jim

Can I get an AMEN....

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Amen!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    edited January 2018
    "As soon as the recording engineer chooses the mics, the sound has been colored."
    AMEN!!!!
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • F1nut
    Excellent point Jim and why I laugh when I read someone say cables should not add or subtract anything to the reproduced sound. Everything from the start of the recording process to the sound coming out of your speakers at the end of the chain adds or subtracts something.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• There is a CD produced by Stereophile that had J. Gordon Holt (the founder of Stereophile) reading a paragraph with each section using a different microphone. So you could hear the changes caused by different mics on the human voice. Very interesting.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2018
    There is a CD produced by Stereophile that had J. Gordon Holt (the founder of Stereophile) reading a paragraph with each section using a different microphone. So you could hear the changes caused by different mics on the human voice. Very interesting.
    Thanks, Ken.
    That would be cool to audition (and was hitherto unknown to me).
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-test-cd-letters-part-2
  • Ah, yes, Ralph the Christmas Dog, I forgot about him. He announced the "left, center, right" channels.
  • Alan_r
    edited February 2018
    Interesting stuff
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    This is what I have. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202147517218
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    audioluvr wrote: »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202147517218

Its only $30.....so of course you need to upgrade. No true "audiophile" would spend less than $500 and If you search you can probably find one for $1000.

The cables you use to hook it up should cost at least $200. :p
  • Alan_r
    Haha that’s awesome.

I have been following a self imposed “half” rule.

My speakers get the biggest budget.
    My components are limited to “half” what I spent on speakers.
    My accessories (cables etc) are limited to “half” what my components cost.
    My tweaks and voodoo stuff is limited to “half” what my accessories cost.

Seems to work out pretty good.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    There is a CD produced by Stereophile that had J. Gordon Holt (the founder of Stereophile) reading a paragraph with each section using a different microphone. So you could hear the changes caused by different mics on the human voice. Very interesting.

I have this CD and it is pretty interesting...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • F1nut
    Alan_r wrote: »
    Haha that’s awesome.

Not a wise rule.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Haha that’s awesome.

Not a wise rule.

Agreed.....lets see if I have that right.

A pair of say RTIA7's, retail for 600.

Half leaves you 300 to spend on a receiver AND BDP.

Half of that leaves you 150 to spend on speaker cables, 2-HDMI cables and other accessories.

Half of that leaves 75 for tweaks, though not sure what that is.

Seems to me the short end of the stick gets placed on the components.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Yep, I can make an inexpensive pair of speakers with upgraded crossovers fed with expensive power, source and cables sound high end. That cannot not be done with inexpensive gear feeding expensive speakers.

Garbage in, garbage out.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    delkal wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »

Its only $30.....so of course you need to upgrade. No true "audiophile" would spend less than $500 and If you search you can probably find one for $1000.

The cables you use to hook it up should cost at least $200. :p

Over exaggeration there.....but if you understood digital, you wouldn't say such things. Cheap digital devices have a certain amount of grunge in the signal, easily heard. Some call that "artifacts". It's not as simple as 1's and 0's going from point A to point B.

Read up on digital, right here on the forum if you like. Too many variables to make blanket statements.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think we can all agree on the poor mastering. From where I sit though, it seems all the efforts going into improving recordings are aimed at the digital file side of things and not so much the cd side. We have a small amount of places to buy quality recorded cd's, and limited libraries too.

I'm not convinced it's poor mastering per se, as much as your second point which is mastering for digital. And in particular small speakers (cars, earbuds, etc.).
    I've pulled many a tune into my ProTools rig and there is little to no dynamic range, with the wave pattern heavily compressed to the point of "crowding" the range such that everything comes across at similar volume. This isn't real life, and not at all what you'll experience in a live performance (which has its own challenges). Above Jesse calls it brick walled junk, which is spot on.
    Bottom line, the masses want music that sounds "pretty good" and most are willing to sacrifice the clarity and dynamic range we used to get. Quality material is hit or miss it seems. My best reference tune is "Hotel California" from the CD "When Hell Freezes Over". Still way better than any of the hundreds of hi rez files I have.

...and where does the brick-walling of dynamics occur----during the mastering. As I said, a well mastered CD can compete with ANY format. 16/44 is fully capable of outstanding musical reproduction.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    As an example, I purchased from HDTracks the 24/92 version of Carpenters "Singles" album (*.flac). Now, I also have an early CD of the same album, but was curious about the re-master. Dynamics were maintained, but I found the 24/92 to be over-cooked in the bass, and too much artificial depth added to Karens' voice, making it sound less natural. Re-masters can be a crap shoot, and I realize this is all very subjective; but I'm not a fan of over-processing for "wow" factor.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Alan_r

I had wrote a long winded explanation but really it doesn't matter.

But to clarify, that response I made had nothing to do with this thread. It was a vague response to the Bluetooth adapter post. Additionally, and I was not clear here because I didn't think we'd be discussing it, my general rule of half are for individual parts within the price range that I shop. Obviously this doesn't work with $200 speakers. But to apply it to your example,

RTiA7's $600

at 50% CD Player $300

at 50% Amp $300

at 50% Speaker cables $150

at 50% Interconnect $150

Dampening/isolation other gadgets $75 each

See?

Not advice for anyone, just what I do with used gear. That way I don't have a $700 power cord connected to a $300 Receiver.

But like I said, it was referencing the Bluetooth post and in retrospect I shouldn't have even posted it. Forums are very hard and fast with little room for personal perspective.

tonyb wrote: »
    Haha that’s awesome.

Not a wise rule.

Agreed.....lets see if I have that right.

A pair of say RTIA7's, retail for 600.

Half leaves you 300 to spend on a receiver AND BDP.

Half of that leaves you 150 to spend on speaker cables, 2-HDMI cables and other accessories.

Half of that leaves 75 for tweaks, though not sure what that is.

Seems to me the short end of the stick gets placed on the components.

• Alan_r
    Onward as they say.

Right now I'm trying to compare digital formats downloaded from HDTracks in 192 FLAC format. My HTC10 that I use for digital music at the moment's DAC maxes out at 24/192 HiRes files so that's what I have. Compared to a 16 bit CD I cannot discern a difference so far. However, using my IPhone 7 plus playing standard Amazon Music files there is a difference. I can't put my finger on it yet but it sounds more "confined?" or has less atmospheric ambiance. I still need to do more room treatment in that particular room so more to come for sure. Once I get a better DAC capable of playing the 2.6 and 5.8 DSD I'll see where that takes me. I'm also setting up a vinyl source in that room so I'll be able to compare the full spectrum here.

Should I notice a difference between 16 bit CD and 24/192?