crossover upgrades, 11T (2/6/18)

This topic has been covered in the "crossover upgrades, 11T" thread. At the end of that thread I recently asked "11tsteve" if he still had the 11t and how did those upgrades finally panned out.
Since I received no response yet, I'm wondering if anyone else here did a similar crossover upgrade. "11tsteve" spent a pretty penny on those caps. I'd rather not spend $200 for caps on a speaker that usually goes for little more than that. Unless that would significantly improve it's performance.
I've already installed the RDO-194 tweeters. They are indeed smoother than the SL2000.
The 11T itself is a decent speaker. It is very lay back in the midrange which seems veiled until you pump up the volume. In fact, the entire presentation is distant for lack of a better description.
Also, I have been on the lookout for Polk SDA 1(a or c) and have investigated the LSIM707. Everyone seems extremely impressed with the SDA's but they are scarce. Not much user feedback on the LSIM's. Seems like they don't sell many of those.
Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2018
    I just ordered upgrade parts for mine on the cheap since they will be going to my GF' s house for her 100wpc Yamaha AVR. Should be quite adequate for her needs.

Parts Express:
    4ea. 12uF Dayton 1% Pn: 027-246. $8.87 ea
    2ea. 33uF Dayton 5% Pn: 027-441. $10.98 ea.
    2ea. 0.5 ohm Mills resistor Pn: 005-.5 $4.25 ea.

Sonic Craft:
    2ea. 2.0 ohm Mills Pn: 634120 $4.40 ea.
    2ea. 2.7 ohm Vishay Mills Pn: 635212 $4.13 ea.

About $113 total with shipping
    Hope this helps
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • stanbar
    stanbar Posts: 11
    edited February 2018
    Thank you Audioluvr! It sure does help. I'd like to order from 1 place. That may be difficult. Anyway, I was wondering why you are using film caps where it calls for non-polarized electrolytics? Sorry, my knowledge of electronics is limited.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    stanbar wrote: »
    Thank you Audioluvr! It sure does help. I'd like to order from 1 place. That may be difficult. Anyway, I was wondering why you are using film caps where it calls for non-polarized electrolytics? Sorry, my knowledge of electronics is limited.

Because film caps are leaps and bounds better and do not wear out like lytics do. They are also held to much tighter tolerances. Lytics are at best 10% +/- film caps as you see above 1% and 5%. Step up to better film caps and they are generally all +/- 3% and generally run tight to value.
  • Thank you Pitdogg2. So it would appear it's a matter of economics.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It's more than that, it's how they sound and Dayton/Bennic caps, for example, do not sound good to my ears.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's more than that, it's how they sound and Dayton/Bennic caps, for example, do not sound good to my ears.

Jesse, I'll play devil's advocate for a second and ask: given the above statement and the choice, would you prefer the 20+ yo factory caps over the Dayton/bennics?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Neither. There's no point in saving a few bucks upgrading crossovers if the end result is not pleasing to the ears.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    So, better caps than Dayton, or deafening silence, got it.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2018
    Thank you Pitdogg2. So it would appear it's a matter of economics.

For some yes, that being said they're some very good caps out there that sound better. Many here have had very good success with both Sonicaps and Clarity caps. I for one tried to save money using Solen caps and found out after spending the money that they can be very shrill.
    You are going to do once with any luck.
    Good luck in your endeavor.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    I did respond.

"I sold the 11T to a close friend, so I still get to listen to them, if only via a Denon AVR, but they are still going strong.
    I loved those speakers, and out of everything I have done, the benefited the most from crossover upgrades. Or, I should say, they had the most remarkable and audible change in sound. But they were not practical anymore for my listening habitat, and my buddy loved them. "

It was a pretty basic question you asked, if there was more detail required?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • 11tsteve,
    Thank you. That answers my question.
  • stanbar wrote: »
    I meant for the manufacturer not the consumer who is attempting to upgrade.
  • pitdogg2
    I meant for the manufacturer not the consumer who is attempting to upgrade.

Yes certainly that is a fact. Save a dollar per speaker adds up to thousands of dollars quick like.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Well if you're not in a terrible hurry, I can guinea pig the caps I listed and post a review. Not that my opinion would mean much here... I chose those caps because they will be installed in my GF's house so not my mains and 11tSteve used a similar combo with positive results. Just sounded like a fun project.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr,
    Thanks. No hurry here.