The power of music

I have always felt that music has some healing power for me. I love to listen to music when I'm in a good mood but if I'm having a not so good day I find that listening to certain music that I really like helps bring me up a level or 2, esp if it's music that I have not listened to in awhile.

I got to witness this yesterday with my mother. Mom is in an assisted living place. It is a really nice environment and the people there are great. She suffers from Alzheimers's and some days just performing the simplest of tasks is difficult. Yesterday I knew when I walked into her apartment at noon that it was one of those days. She was still in her night clothes and was frustrated with the fact that she had accomplished so little and it was already lunch time. I helped her a bit and we decided to go out for lunch.

Neil Diamond has always been one of her favorites and I happen to have one of his cds in the car. It's "Dreams" and he plays covers of music that he has always wanted to record. A Rainy Night in Georgia was playing and her attitude changed instantly. Her toes were tapping and she began to sing the song. Seeing this change in her brought tears to my eyes. Lunch was great too...she talked about days gone by(she can recall the distant past but not 20 minutes ago). A few more songs played to and from the restaurant and she was having such a good time.

I need to talk with the facility she is at about somebody coming to her apartment and turning off the TV and playing music she is familiar with. No groundbreaking news here I know, just wanted to share.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Thanks for sharing. Music is more than just a form of art.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2018
    Willow wrote: »

Especially "inspired" music such as The Beatles, and most of the 50's, 60's and early 70's music.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2018
    headrott wrote: »

Especially "inspired" music such as The Beatles, and most of the 50's, 60's and early 70's music.

Hear hear!
    Post edited by Willow on
  • Very nice, Muncy. It looks like you may have discovered that music is the keys to her kingdom.
    Very, very nice.

"...and for even the briefest of moments, every last man at Shawshank felt free."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzuM2XTnpSA

Sal Palooza
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098

You're right...it is mathematical...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,024
    headrott wrote: »

DILLEY DILLEY!!!

Fixed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson