LSi 7s or fixing LSi25s

On eBay there is a pair of LSi 7s, and I’ve been wanting a pair of 7s. Do you guys think I should get the plate amp in my right LSi25 fixed first instead and wait on the 7s? The 7s cost $450 (I don’t have this much money but when I sell my infinity speakers I will) and the plate amp repair costs $150, with shipping probably around $200. Which would you guys do first? I can’t guarantee that I will ever do either one, but which one would you guys find more important?

Thanks,
Micah

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Fix the 25's!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    7's at 450 are overpriced anyhow
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Ok. What would be considered a good deal for 7s? Either way I would still fix the amp btw. I’m just asking what I should do first.
  • mlistens03
    Here is the link for the 7s, I was wrong on the price, they are $375 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-LSi7-Bookshelf-Speakers-Ebony-Pair/382374887051?hash=item590751be8b:g:xAEAAOSwrslaejE0
    They seem to be in good condition
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    The LSi line has dropped precipitously in price, in fact you can get a brand new pair of LSiM-703's for another $150 with free shipping. LSi-7's are very nice speakers but the LSi-M's are much nicer and easier to drive. I can't recall specifically what LSi-7's have brought on the forum here recently, but to give you an idea, a pair of LSi-9's just sold for $275. I think some Polkies have picked up LSi-7's recently for $175 and less, but others can chime in on that.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Fix the 25's, then wait for a better deal on the 7's.

See...wasn't so hard. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2018
    The LSIM 703 is a better speaker and can be had for 500 bucks... grab a pair of those and a decent sub and you will have a better soundstage, imaging, and detail.

Your ears will thank you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mlistens03
    Ok. I’ll fix the amp first, and then get the 7s, or maybe 9s. I think I’m gonna stick with the LSi series so that I can use them as rears when the time comes, and it costs WAY less. Random question, how much does a LSiC Go for? I cant justify $500 for new speakers when I already have speakers as good as these are.

This is totally off topic, but I found on eBay a single LSiM 703 for $200 earlier, and the description said it was in very good condition, sounded wonderful, and had very little damage. Upon looking at pictures, however, the low pass driver was literally shattered, and the coil was actually gone. Just thought I would share that with you guys, as I was dying laughing on the floor.
  • Sounds like one of the smashed up speakers Adorama is selling on eBay
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    LSi7s $200 or less
    About the same for the LSiC

Remember also that the LSiMs are considerably easier to drive than than the older LSis. So you could save money on the amp as well.

If you are in a good market, I would fix the amp and sell the 25s, or sell as is, and start building an LSiM package. At the prices right now its just ridiculous what you can get...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    I think your right, it was adorama.

I see where you are coming from, and I do want the upgrade in sound, but I can’t justify spending that much on speakers. The amplifier I have for my computer speakers can safely drive 4 ohms up to 100 watts, and I think it will do just fine for computer speakers, provided I don’t push any bass through them. I’ll leave the low end to my Velodyne subwoofer. I know that LSis compared to LSiMs is probably a night and day difference, and that it is well worth the upgrade, but I just can’t.
    Micah
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I think your right, it was adorama.

I see where you are coming from, and I do want the upgrade in sound, but I can’t justify spending that much on speakers. The amplifier I have for my computer speakers can safely drive 4 ohms up to 100 watts, and I think it will do just fine for computer speakers, provided I don’t push any bass through them. I’ll leave the low end to my Velodyne subwoofer. I know that LSis compared to LSiMs is probably a night and day difference, and that it is well worth the upgrade, but I just can’t.
    Micah

Hey I get it. We all got to decide which field we are playing on, and where you are at is very enjoyable.

So, with as little power as you have (100 wpc @ 4ohms is not nearly enough to do justice to LSi25s), then I would just sell them and get the 7s. I actually really like the 7s, and they are the easiest to drive (actually measure more like 6 ohms). Especially if you are not using the subs on the LSi25s anyway, why bother fixing them?

Get the bookies, use the sub, done!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    mlistens03, where are you located?
  • mlistens03
    oh I have a separate amp for the 25s! I am running them on a crown. I was saying I wanna use 7s for computer speakers, sorry I didn't make that clear :grimace:

I am using one of the subs, the other one is broken. it turned out I had them backwards, and when I switched them, I actually dropped my velodyne.

Sorry for not giving a clear description,
    Micah.
  • mlistens03
    I'm using a XLi 800 crown amp on the 25s, I know its not the best, but it serves its purpose.
  • mlistens03
    I had them set up with the left as the right knee vice versa, i don’t know if it was actually the fact that they were reversed or it just disperses better on the other side, but the sub sounds way better on the side it was designed to be on :smile:
  • mlistens03
    I’m in the Orlando FL area.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    LSi7s $200 or less
    About the same for the LSiC

^^^^This^^^^

I bought a pair of 7s from a forum member last year for $200, IIRC. I’m also the member who bought the 9s for $275 from Shawn (screamin’ deal) just last week. I also sold an LSiC last year for $175 shipped (It did have some pretty bad scratches on the bottom though).
  • mlistens03
    Nice deals all around. Scratches aren’t bad, and on the bottom? I personally wouldn’t care. My 25s are in terrible condition. The vinyl vineer Is peeling off below One of the sub drivers, and they are scratched beyond repair on top, but they sound good, and that’s what matters (at least to me.) as long as it’s not hard to look at, I don’t care are.my. I do take care of my stuff, and I would like it to be in the best condition possible, but they came to me like this, so it’s not the end of the world.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I didn't care either. I'm pretty sure I'm the one who bought that LsiC and it's doing just fine ;)
  • mlistens03
    Exactly my thoughts.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited February 2018
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I didn't care either. I'm pretty sure I'm the one who bought that LsiC and it's doing just fine ;)

Ryan - yes, it was you who bought the LSi-C from me. Glad to hear it’s working well for you. I always describe imperfections worse than the may be.

@mlistens03 - With a little patience I’m sure you’ll find the speakers you’re looking for at a fair price. I definitely agree that $375 is a bit over priced for LSi-7s, although they are great speakers that look and sound like a $375+ speaker
  • mlistens03
    I’ll keep looking. In the meantime, can you suggest a good 2 channel receiver? My onkyo tx-v940 just bit the dust (this is about the third time, but this time it doesn’t work at all, before it was on and off, so I think it’s gone for good. but I’m not really surprised :smile: ), so now I’m in the market for a 2 channel receiver. I probably need one for under $100, and I need it to be able to safely drive LSi 7s. I don’t think I’ll be able to stretch the price, because I want to get the 7s, and fix the 25s.

Thanks again,
    Micah
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Just looked at Orlando's craigslist.....your area is loaded with receivers, go pick one out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable