Subwoofer for Stereo Rig

Looking to get a Sub for my bedroom rig. A simple unit for music only. Will be use with either Klipchs Heresy or Linn Kelidh's. Source is Peachtree Decco 65 with Bluetooth and Onkyo SACD player. Room is about 15X12X8. Budget around $500.00 Considering:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html already own the F25 and very happy.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-series/products/sb-1000

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html

https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers/products/basx-s12

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/bravus/bravus-ii-8d-powered-subwoofer-stealth

Will consider used market. Comments welcome.

Cheers
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.

Comments

• aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    I'm looking for the same thing. I've been leaning toward the HSU, and it being on sale is going to push me to pull the trigger on it.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    DSkip wrote: »
    How about the Rel for sale in the FM?

bada bing bada boom!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That rel has REALLY limited extension compared to most of the others he is looking at. Maybe 35hz in a goof room. The SVS and HSU will hit 25hz easy, probably lower and are very musical.

I love my little Martin Logan. I have the dynadios running through it and listen to music in pure direct (no SVS). Man it’s a pretty amazing little sub...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited February 2018
    What kind of music are you listening to that you need to hit 35 and under?
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    That rel has REALLY limited extension compared to most of the others he is looking at. Maybe 35hz in a goof room. The SVS and HSU will hit 25hz easy, probably lower and are very musical.

I love my little Martin Logan. I have the dynadios running through it and listen to music in pure direct (no SVS). Man it’s a pretty amazing little sub...

Post edited by Clipdat on
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Sometime I get in the mood for Sublime, Everlast, stuff like that. My HSU does a great job,
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

I always suggest consult a music chart for the instruments used in the music that you listen to. I like near everything, jazz, pipe organ, rock, pop, classical, new wave, electronic and some dubstep every now and then. Do a room sweep to see if your covered. I don't want just a hint of something or I'm missing the total experience. You get what you accept. ;)

Look how low a piano can go....and a harp, bass. I have over 10,000 cubic feet to fill so I had to add two subs to shore up the 25-35Hz range. My floor standers are rated +- 3dB 25Hz to 25kHz, however my room will not allow them to play +-3dB throughout that entire frequency range. IIRC I was -10dB in the nethers.

4usd35gmd9d1.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Excellent point @SCompRacer

Just because your speakers are rated to x frequency doesn't mean they can reproduce that frequency in the room in which you've placed them. You have to do the math...it's like physics or something.

• Clipdat
    Interesting. Didn't even know their stuff got down that low!
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Sometime I get in the mood for Sublime, Everlast, stuff like that. My HSU does a great job,

Cool chart, thanks for posting that! I was actually just trying to figure out if there were some other electronic music fans on the forum, hahah. I would expect dnb and dubstep to go below 35hz of course, just didn't realize that other genres regularly dipped that low as well.
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I always suggest consult a music chart for the instruments used in the music that you listen to. I like near everything, jazz, pipe organ, rock, pop, classical, new wave, electronic and some dubstep every now and then. Do a room sweep to see if your covered. I don't want just a hint of something or I'm missing the total experience. You get what you accept. ;)

Look how low a piano can go....and a harp, bass. I have over 10,000 cubic feet to fill so I had to add two subs to shore up the 25-35Hz range. My floor standers are rated +- 3dB 25Hz to 25kHz, however my room will not allow them to play +-3dB throughout that entire frequency range. IIRC I was -10dB in the nethers.

4usd35gmd9d1.png

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @Clipdat

There are quite a few around here. Look at my threads for one on good bass music and you will find quite a few guys adding to the list of good songs to listen too.

I openly admit I’m a basshead and dubstep and electronic kinda guy.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Nice. I should send you a few of my drum n bass DJ mixes, they're great workouts for a sub.
    @Clipdat

There are quite a few around here. Look at my threads for one on good bass music and you will find quite a few guys adding to the list of good songs to listen too.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I’ve found my SVS SB2000 to be very musical and have great extension.

Can’t recommend them enough.
  • Clipdat
    Great looking sub. Best I've heard in my life is Velodyne, but people rave about SVS. I'll have to hear one of their subs some day.
    Upstatemax wrote: »

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056

One of these days I want to replace my dual PSW 111's and run dual SVS SB2000's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kharp1
    edited February 2018
    I've owned JBL, Polk, Velodyne, M&K and SVS subs, as well as having personal experience with many of the other brands like DefTech, Paradigm and Klipsch etc, and to date the SVS SB-2000 is the best one I've had in the mix. So impressed by it that I'm looking to move up to the SB-4000 or the SB16-Ultra.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited February 2018
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html already own the F25 and I'm Very Very Happy.
    Fixed it for ya . . .

I've got an F12 Direct Servo in a small space and I'm really pleased. You cannot go wrong with another Rythmik!

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited February 2018
    Okay so I order the SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer go it on sale for $399.99 and free shipping.
    Will update as soon It get's in.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You will be very, very pleased!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Alan_r
    Alan_r Posts: 164
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice. I should send you a few of my drum n bass DJ mixes, they're great workouts for a sub.
    @Clipdat

It’s ridiculous how low some of the EDM music can go. Kinda goes with that “feeling” you get when it’s hot. That feeling isn’t in your mind. And it’s only getting better. As I cry in the corner for not being able to hit up another UMF in Miami, I can at least look forward to the 1080p Ultra videos on Youtube to get what’s been missed. Alesso was the best he’s ever been at Ultra17. A pair of PSW505’s do quite well with EDM for sure. But I’m sure I’m missing a lot that twin SVS’s would provide.
  • kharp1
    I think SVS offers an incredible value in subs, especially if you get one of their blow out deals in the outlet.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

I picked one up from Kerry myself, and I'm not really a sub guy, but I can say I like this one. It blends in perfectly, doesn't draw attention to itself, fast enough to keep up with music, and plenty of boom for HT. Tight, controlled boom, not muddy or rounded like some other subs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127

Couldn't agree more with SB2000 love it in piano black

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Alan_r
    Alan_r Posts: 164
    In my main living room setup I started out with one 12” sub. Took some time to place it properly but it worked well for 70% of my music. Eventually it dawned on me that two subs would be able to fill in the “holes” left by the room acoustics and the first one. So a second 12” was added and both were placed just outside of the two floorstanders making up the primaries in my system. Accomplished what I wanted.

However, both are ported subs. It seems to be the general consensus that high powered sealed subs work better for strictly music. Yet ported subs do have advantages regarding SPL and often lower octave extension, depending on port tuning. So I wonder, instead of two ported subs in stereo, have one sealed sub and one ported sub instead. Like a PB1000 on the right and an SB1000 on the left. Bass has turned out to be one of the most complicated parts of tuning a system. Volume and buzz is easy, volume and actually sounding like an instrument is quite difficult.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2018
    I tired many combinations with my two subs while doing room sweeps. Best placement for my setup was subs next to and between the speakers and against the wall. Speakers are out ~42" from back wall. Listening area is open to main level with 14 foot ceilings, over 10,000 cubic feet of space.

Bass frequencies have length. My setup allows for great bass at the listening position. Behind and corners are bloated bass. By moving towards speakers, you can experience boundary effect where the waves cancel and bass disappears, continue moving and it returns. Boundary effect can also cause pressure buildup or over accentuated bass. I use four bass traps, two stacked in one corner with two in opposite corners.

Sometimes corner placement of subs helps, or behind, to sides, all depends on the room. You can use math to help. Consult the articles at Real Traps, GIK and others. If you can't achieve best results by placement or adjustments, you are looking at bass management in form of DSP or signal processing of the low frequencies.

Mids can be smoothed by placement of speakers where inches can make a huge difference. I had ESL's for several years and went back to conventional speakers. Placing them in the optimal spot for my ESL's resulted in near -15dB in the mids. I had to go back to basics, experiment until I improved that huge dropout.

You can get free software for room sweeps, like REW. IIRC you have to join the forum to get it. I purchased Dayton Audio OmniMic V2, ~ $300.

You have to invest time and effort, get your learn on. In the end, you get what you accept.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Irrenhaus
    Okay arriving tomorrow. I will be working from home nice.

Cheers.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Usher V601s!!!!! Those are some awesome speakers...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    You are lucky your sub arrived safely. I had to refuse delivery of mine yesterday due to Fed Ex mishandling.

What gain setting do you have the sub set to? There is info on the SVS site about what normal ranges are. Otherwise you run the risk of over driving the amp.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The picture with the cat reminded me of this. :p

gbbj229beb4j.jpg
  • Irrenhaus
    Usher V601s!!!!! Those are some awesome speakers...

Yes they are. Like them very very much.

Cheers