Buy LSiM's and sell my SDA's?

For 5.1 H/T in my man cave. The prices of the LSiM's are great at this time. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Currently have these:
SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
CS350-LS (center)
SDA-2B (rear)

Thinking of buying these:
LSiM 707 (fronts)
LSiM 706 (center)
LSiM 703 (rear)

I could sell my current system for around $750.
Adorama has the LSiM package for $2000. So out of pocket around $1250 for a new LSiM 5.1.

I already have a killer subwoofer.

Thoughts? Should I?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I made the switch from 2.3TLs as mains. No regrets at all. At least for home theater use.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    DSkip wrote: »
    No, no, and no.

This.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Wow no love for the LSiM?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited February 2018
    ^^^
    yeah, make a 10.21
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • For 5.1 H/T in my man cave. The prices of the LSiM's are great at this time. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Currently have these:
    SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
    CS350-LS (center)
    SDA-2B (rear)

LSiM 707 (fronts)
    LSiM 706 (center)
    LSiM 703 (rear)

Adorama has the LSiM package for $2000. So out of pocket around $1250 for a new LSiM 5.1.

Thoughts? Should I?

Are your current speakers recapped, are the drivers dynamated, spiked and equipped with RDO194's? If not that would be my suggestions.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• msg
    I'd keep the 2Bs, AND seriously consider the LSiM package.
    If you've ever wanted them, that deal's the deal.
    Blink, and it might be passed.

Or maybe next time they'll be even less. I can't see how, though. They're literally at giveaway prices now.

I still can't get over the current deal. I was happy to pay F&F, couldn't afford them otherwise, but this deal is absolutely unbelievable. How much of an LSiM junkie am I? I don't need any more, but I was running through my list of friends I could try to convince.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Conradicles
    edited February 2018
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    msg wrote: »
    I'd keep the 2Bs, AND seriously consider the LSiM package.

This, but with the LSiM 705's...a better speaker, all-around. IMHO, of course.
  • msg
    I haven't heard 707s personally, but yes, the consensus on 705s being better balanced is why I went with them.

As I write, I realize that I wonder which I would prefer had I the chance to hear both for myself. Related note/consideration - I love the 703s, but my understanding is that there are some flaws. If the 707s are like the 703s in their fat sound, I'd consider the 707s as long as they're not loose or boomy and don't require high volume to sound good.

One thing I notice with 705s is that it takes me more volume knob to reach the same listening output level as 703s. IIRC, another 5-6dB on the volume knob. Can't remember whether this is with or without the sub on the 703s. Due to the smaller driver set on the 705s vs the 703s?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    It seems to me you kind of want to make the switch. I did a similar update and in the end, it still sounds great, but the new LSiM speakers look so nice. I would say do what you want.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dooo it.

Never hurts to mix it up once in awhile, that's how we learn....sometimes. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Conradicles
    Earthy wrote: »
    It seems to me you kind of want to make the switch. I did a similar update and in the end, it still sounds great, but the new LSiM speakers look so nice. I would say do what you want.

Yes, I kind of want to make a change. The prices of the LSiM are really good too. I have a few different amps I can try on the 707.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2018
    Earthy wrote: »

Yes, I kind of want to make a change. The prices of the LSiM are really good too. I have a few different amps I can try on the 707.

Then go for it, you've got the gear to make sure they will be powered so what's stopping you. You will end up with nice looking, sleek, great sounding speakers that could keep you happy for years. That's a win all the way around.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    You'll only regret not doing it, 'cause then you'll never know how it sounds to you. The current prices are great and much better than the F&F deal I used.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • msg
    Hey, I found this neat movie...

1nvzioty7oox.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You won't regret it because you already have the better speakers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    edited February 2018
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    For 5.1 H/T in my man cave. The prices of the LSiM's are great at this time. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Currently have these:
    SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
    CS350-LS (center)
    SDA-2B (rear)

LSiM 707 (fronts)
    LSiM 706 (center)
    LSiM 703 (rear)

Thoughts? Should I?

Are your current speakers recapped, are the drivers dynamated, spiked and equipped with RDO194's? If not that would be my suggestions.

The 2b's are stock. The SRS 2 have upgraded tweeters, Larry's Ring's and some other small mods.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Seems like you could get more than $750.00 for the SDAs. If HT is the goal then yes, get the LSiM at that price.
  • Conradicles
    HT is definitely all this rig is for. I have 2 other systems to listen to music.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone. I bet your current system sounds incredible for HT.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Can't comment on the swap as I've never heard any of the LSiM line. I can highly recommend the SDA's though. Not to bust this discussion, quick question, when using SDA's as a rear channel do you use the SDA interconnect cable? I would think you still would. Thanks.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    All I can offer is this, I had 2BTL's and 1C's (both fully modded) and now LSiM 705's... and the end result is - I still have modded 2BTL's, 1C's and 705's. Once again, I feel my work here is done.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    You can never have enough speakers! Go for it but keep the SDA's and CS!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Conradicles
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Can't comment on the swap as I've never heard any of the LSiM line. I can highly recommend the SDA's though. Not to bust this discussion, quick question, when using SDA's as a rear channel do you use the SDA interconnect cable? I would think you still would. Thanks.

Normally I would use the cable, but in this case, I do not due to a fireplace being between them.

• Conradicles
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone. I bet your current system sounds incredible for HT.

It really does. Most of the time when viewing normal things I don't even turn on the subwoofer.

Only problem is that the SDA SRS 2 are a bit visually challenged LOL. And the LSiM 707 are so sexy. B)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    They are engineered quite well, aren't they?

I mean if you have the disposable income, the deal they are running right now is tough to beat.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I wonder how much the upper woofer's port tube resonates from the lower woofer's energy and if it is enough to distort the tune... Hmmm :*
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    If the sole purpose of that room is HT, do it. You'll have a killer HT. >:)
  • Conradicles
    Many of the deals are now on backorder. I have been on the fence too long.