PSW505 chirping

Options
rodan
rodan Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Troubleshooting
My PSW505 is making a chirping sound under certain conditions. It seems to happen at certain frequencies or tone durations. If I hook up my PC and do the Windows 7 speaker setup test and test the subwoofer channel, the chirping happens every time. I am using the LFE input on the sub and the volume is at 50%. Does anyone know what part may be damaged or how I can fix it myself? I don't want to pay for return shipping for the whole unit to get it repaired. Thanks.
Post edited by rodan on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Hello rodan,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. That's an unusual problem, but we can help figure it out. When you say, chirping, do you mean a sound that is added to the bass sound it's playing? Or, do you mean a sound by itself, happening with nothing else being produced? Chirping is usually associated with higher frequency sounds, could it be a knocking sound? Kind of a mechanical sound?
    Regards, Ken
  • rodan
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The chirping is added to the bass. It does not happen when no audio signal is being played. It sounds like a cricket. I will try to make a recording of it if that will help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2013
    Options
    In all likelihood there is a mechanical problem as opposed to one caused by the electronics. It might be a good idea to remove the sub's grille cover and take out the screws holding the 12" woofer onto the cabinet. Then use a putty knife to loosen the woofer, going around the circumference like you would open a can of paint. Then pull the woofer from the cabinet and see if either of the connecting wires is possibly near where the woofer cone moves. If everything looks correct give Polk's CS guys a call at: 1-800-377-7655 and they can help you further.
  • rodan
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I did some more troubleshooting myself and found that the chirping goes away if I put some pressure on the component at the rear of the unit, which I think is the amp. I tried tightening all the screws but it didn't help. I put a clamp around the housing that presses against the amp and that seems to solve the problem without having to take anything apart. Thanks.
  • Poolgod69
    Poolgod69 Posts: 184
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Probably too loud for the bird living inside it.... :cheesygrin:
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up :rolleyes:
  • heartystatue
    heartystatue Posts: 329
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Too funny poolgod.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
  • UWannaNo
    Options
    Both of my psw505s started chirpinga couple of weeks ago. They do it when they aren't being used. Sometimes it stops when I turn them off and back on. I've never had them loud enough that I would be convened about it being a blown speaker/amp issue. Any, ideas... besides the birds?