RDO-194 Break In

So after I finished putting Power Grab on my 1C cabinets today, I decided to swap out the SL2000's on my bone stock 2B's with RDO-194's.
8y18gos3um93.png

As always, I searched the halls of CP to learn about the required break in period for my new babies.

Much to my surprise, a lot of debate as to whether the break in phenomena actually exists!

Just like the many threads here about cables and efficacy of burn in! Wow! Fun reading!

Well, for the record, I'm a believer. I'm a ME by trade, and can attest to break in period of mechanical systems that I design for a living.

With all that said, what is the recommended burn in time for my new tweets? Any type of music burns in more efficiently than others? Recommended volume output?

What has been your experience?

FWIW, please don't recommend Rap music at 90dB. Not gonna happen. :smiley:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Just play them for Christ sakes

I am! Empire rockin right now!
    enc264zg7sz7.png

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    lol, ah c'mon Ivan, V's enjoying the process B)

I've heard people say you can burn in with a low playing cd on repeat.
    But I just do what Ivan says - play 'em.

Someone else'll probably have some actual time spec and such, but I'd just leave 'em running 24/7 for a week, check in periodically if it's a secondary system, and see wha'cha notice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That's the proper way if i ever seen one. I too will rock Empire tonight.
    I have the DVD-Audio as well but my dang player is toast. Oh well one of these days I'll buy an Oppo to rock all my DVD-Audio discs.
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • verb
    Cool. Empire, Promised Land, even their latest after the divorce with Geoff Tate:
    54t9qi46v80j.png
    I gotta use that excuse for "turn it down" - but Honey I'm breaking in my new tweets. :) Probably won't work.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    verb wrote: »
    Just play them for Christ sakes

I am! Empire rockin right now!
    enc264zg7sz7.png

Good selection. I may have to revisit Empire with you and Ivan, but skip Silent Lucidity.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I used the Thievery Corporation station on Pandora when I was breaking in my 703s.
  • verb
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I used the Thievery Corporation station on Pandora when I was breaking in my 703s.

How long did it take IYO?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Not sure. They probably still aren't broken in. It just seemed like a good genre of music to be streaming to get things loosened up. Quiet/moderate volume.
    Clipdat wrote: »

How long did it take IYO?

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    So after I finished putting Power Grab on my 1C cabinets today, I decided to swap out the SL2000's on my bone stock 2B's with RDO-194's.
    8y18gos3um93.png

As always, I searched the halls of CP to learn about the required break in period for my new babies.

Much to my surprise, a lot of debate as to whether the break in phenomena actually exists!

Just like the many threads here about cables and efficacy of burn in! Wow! Fun reading!

Well, for the record, I'm a believer. I'm a ME by trade, and can attest to break in period of mechanical systems that I design for a living.

With all that said, what is the recommended burn in time for my new tweets? Any type of music burns in more efficiently than others? Recommended volume output?

What has been your experience?

FWIW, please don't recommend Rap music at 90dB. Not gonna happen. :smiley:

Took my RDO-194's about 2 weeks casual listening. I thought they were dull at first. Then they seemed to sound very balanced later on. I grew to like them. Female voices greatly improved !
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Thanks Tony. Evanescence is in the queue!
  • msg
    They should be broken in by now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Annnnd now, they're probably ready to be replaced.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Hehe. Queensryche Della Brown currently!
  • verb
    msg wrote: »
    Annnnd now, they're probably ready to be replaced.

That’s what they make spares for!
  • Tony M
    I need to buy another 4 for my newer SRS2's.

I've just been procrastinating for almost a year now. :(

Every time I get the urge to call in the order, it's Sat. or Sun., seriously.

Then I think about how I don't spend enough time out there so why spend the money. Then the weekend comes back around.. :s
  • verb
    Dude you gotta do it! I bought 6 back in December for the 1C’s and 2B’s. Just now swapped out the 2B’s. Have em at the ready when you get the hankerin!
  • msg
    Seriously, I do the same with corn dogs.
    It's good advice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Hahaha!
  • verb
    For @indyhawg Silent Lucidity rockin the house!
  • Tony M
    I played that song on my surround system to show my new to me then Father in law what kind of music I was turning his daughter on to.

He wasn't impressed! In fact I quickly heard him and his 2nd wife DON'T listen to ANY music at all... Good Grief, did I stick my speakers in my mouth or what?
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    Dude you gotta do it! I bought 6 back in December for the 1C’s and 2B’s. Just now swapped out the 2B’s. Have em at the ready when you get the hankerin!

I just might do that THIS week before I lose all my 401K and won't want to spend the little bit I've withdrawn last year from it.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    I played that song on my surround system to show my new to me then Father in law what kind of music I was turning his daughter on to.

He wasn't impressed! In fact I quickly heard him and his 2nd wife DON'T listen to ANY music at all... Good Grief, did I stick my speakers in my mouth or what?

Hard to impress the Father in Law, believe me. My Honey is not a real fan of my fave music, although I did drag her to an Evanescence concert a few years back and she loved it!

Earlier in our courtship I took her to a Summer Jam concert in Chicago, which was headlined by Styx. Needless to say, after about 3 bands into it, lots of folks wasted, craziness, chicks fighting, MAYHEM! She was not impressed. Especially when the person next to her passed her a joint! Took a while to recover from that! :)

Ah, memories!
  • pitdogg2
    Sounds like a great time lol
  • Tony M
    I had a date I took to a Charle Daniels / Doobie Bros. Concert take a hit or 3 off some joints like we all did a few times but she got nausious and we went into the hall where she got sick and then passed out. There were medics right there and they took her into a room right there and laid her down and got her under control. It took about 45 min.. She needed water mostly. All was fine and we walked around to another spot in the arena and finished watching it standing up. No more smokin but it sure was everywhere!

Yea, memories...
  • pitdogg2
    Well it was a Doobie bros. concert lol
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    Well it was a Doobie bros. concert lol

That it was. :p:D

Back in the day when smoking in arenas was ok.cigaretes or otherwise. There were stadium police but they were young men and women and like I said. All smoking was allowed.
  • msg
    I'm still paying for those weekend corn dogs.
    Never again...
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    That's exactly what I say after the first speaker mod - never again! And they I get my next project :smiley: