Thinking of getting SDA 1C's..

Hi.
I'm new here.
I'm really considering maybe picking up some 1C's fourth gens.

I had a few question's. How hard are some of the mods for a rookie. I haven't even ever placed a tweeter. I would like to at least replace them with the upgrades. Been looking around for a good guide.

Or if By one knows of any fellow pokies near Toronto. I'm in Orangeville, Ontario. I would rather pay someone experienced to do some mods if possible.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Welcome @JasonCapa ! I've in the middle of a 1C upgrade path currently:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1

All I can say is it's been lots of fun! Everyone here on CP has been very encouraging and helpful! Enjoy the ride!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Your ears will thank you.
  • I pulled the trigger on the 1c's.
    I did the light poke of the woffers to see if all the drivers move and they do.

They sound wonderfull, but I feel like I'm not getting the depth I expected. I was hoping for airy and depth.

I read on the forums to unplug one speaker at a time with the interconnect left on and the cable seems to be drive the other speaker with the interconect still attached.

I have them set up as suggested in the manual. I have a dresser in between but have pulled them out and in as suggested also.

The speakers are also 100% original no upgrades.

Any suggestions?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2018
    SDA's do not excell at depth, they do excell at sound stage width and imaging.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats on the purchase. Wish I still had my 1C's.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    What are you using for the rest of your rig? Amp etc.
  • I'm using a Icon audio 20pp tube amp, schiit Modi 2 Uber multi bit dac and go on or hqplayer. My amp I feel powers them really good for the low rating.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Jason, ideally SDA's should be driven by a high current SS amp. From personal experience, sure you'll get sound using a 20wpc tube amp, but they won't perform anywhere close to what they are capable of. You need at least 50wpc if using tube power, 100wpc is even better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JasonCapa
    JasonCapa Posts: 10
    edited February 2018
    With a 100wpc or more should I get more depth and a airy soundstage and image?
    Post edited by JasonCapa on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    JasonCapa wrote: »
    With a as at 100wpc or more should I get more depth and a airy soundstage and image?

Yes to some degree, but those traits come from more than just the amplifier. Everything in your system contributes to....or takes away from....those things.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    JasonCapa wrote: »
    With a 100wpc or more should I get more depth and a airy soundstage and image?

It sure will help. The 1C's driven with a 20wpc tube amp sounded flat. They came to life with 50wpc.

President of Club Polk

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I went from a 50 watt / channel tube amp to a 100 watt / channel to power my 1c's. Huge difference. They really opened up with the increased power.
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    More power! Trust us, you won't regret it.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work