Gold star to who can ID these!

I cannot find these anywhere on the world wide intra-net... any takers?

Just curious as to model/ vintage etc.

ego3dt6uwaup.jpg

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Monitor 7’s is my guess.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2018
    You know i have seen that picture several times over the years. Pretty sure that is not a Polk design that if it was mind you more than likely never made it out of the lab. To me it almost looks like someone took a real speaker cabinet and used the back for the face.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Looks like a Polk Monitor series 2 prototype :/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Here is the back. I was thinking the tweets are Peerless, no? The driver configuration is so odd with the tweet off center! Could they be a "studio" version of the M5's?xq7roagaevto.jpg
  • Yeah, I don't own these. Found them for sale; 3 for $60. These are the seller's pics. Am trying to do some research on them first.
  • la2vegas, Did you figure anything out from your discussion on these?

Thanks for your help!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Those are bizarre.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Hardware, material, configuration and driver coupling all scream home made.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2018
    The tweeters are SL1000's
    And the number on the binding cup 2LS5 hmmmm
  • Those are odd! I'm with Skip, very rare I would think
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• What's the consensus, then? Are they worth $60??
  • mhardy6647
    If they work properly, I would think so.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Hardware, material, configuration and driver coupling all scream home made.

I agree. Even the model/serial number on the binding post cup is not something Polk used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    madmatt wrote: »
    What's the consensus, then? Are they worth $60??

You could part them and make a few bucks, worst case. I think if they were local to me, I'd get them just out of curiosity.
  • F1nut, the cup looks just like the ones on both sets of my M10B's, less the "2LS5" stamp. IDK??

FestTboy, I am intrigued too. I was thinking spare parts too if all the drivers seemed like they are in good shape. Or, if they actually sound good surrounds and rear in my HT with the M10B up front...
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback, way to make an FNG to the forum feel welcome!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2018
    M5 prototypes IMHO... Ignore my previous guess.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    M5 prototypes IMHO... Ignore my previous guess.

But it gets weird, doesn't it? The original Monitor 5 had the Peerless silk dome.
    Now -- maybe -- they're prototypes with the SL1000 tweeter... that's ,
    plausible, but why the offset tweeters? And why not mirror-imaged?

zyetvc7q0qez.jpg

Freeeeeeeakin weird stuff, duuuuude.

0c81psevqrxa.png

m9r9qi0nnbrj.png

• txcoastal1
    You mention there were 3, do any of them mirror, if not I'd doubt that they would image properly
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mhardy6647
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You mention there were 3, do any of them mirror, if not I'd doubt that they would image properly

oh, I missed that! :p Good question.
  • txcoastal1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

oh, I missed that! :p Good question.

You brought it up...but they're basically worth less for "stereo" speakers. Garage setup would be fine

• No, they are all the same as far as I can tell. I DO NOT understand the thinking behind the config. It would actually make the building of them more difficult especially the grill pegs etc.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    OK now I am confused... I thought that the post:

meant that there are three of these loudspeakers. I thought/assumed there were only the two speakers shown in the photo.

I've never seen a Monitor 5 (nor 7 nor 10, for that matter) variant with an offset tweeter (FWIW).

• FestYboy
    Get 'em, if you don't like 'em, you have a buyer. See, that's simple. :)
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    F1nut, the cup looks just like the ones on both sets of my M10B's, less the "2LS5" stamp. IDK??

I said the stamp was not something Polk used. Heck, it's even upside down.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    F1nut, the cup looks just like the ones on both sets of my M10B's, less the "2LS5" stamp. IDK??

They are a weird-b-ut-t pair of loudspeakers.
  • F1nut, gotcha. I misunderstood.
  • F1nut
    DSkip wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

It could've been upside down as code for prototype or something right? I simply don't see these not being built in Polks shop. Maybe an employee wanted their own design and got approval? Like I said the cabinets are straight up Polk factory build quality.

The cover material is not like anything I've seen on a Polk speaker.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    The crossover holds the answers... we need a picture of the XO.

• mhardy6647
    They're -- also -- the size of Monitor 5jr or Monitor 5+jr or whatever the heck they were called. Smaller than the regular ol' Monitor 5... and the PR's smaller than the regular old Monitor 5, too.

I am a little slow on the uptake today -- must be seasonal affective disorder (a/k/a February $ucks Disorder)