Modern Polks?

zuulzuul Posts: 154
I actually know nothing about modern polk speakers. I've been using old school monitor series speakers (first the 8t's and for the last several years 5Jr +'s) since I was in college.

I'm curious if anyone has used both vintage polks and modern polks and how they compare. I would like to get new speakers and I'm curious if there's a modern polk speaker that are the sonic equivalent or at least similar to the monitor series from the 80's.
speakers:
bowers & wilkins 685 S2
polk psw-10
components:
sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
interconnects:
monoprice
guzi
belkin gold series usb
speaker wire
audioquest type 4
power:
rhino-tek 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
vansevers 211 power cord
pangea ac-14 power cord
tubes:
amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
misc:
JRiver Media Center 24
sanus 24" speaker stands
auralex acoustics subdude II
DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.
Hall of Fame: [retired/sold]
polk monitor series 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
polk monitor series RTA 8T
kenwood kd-550 w/ SME 3009 Series III tonearm grado gold cartridge
adcom gfp-555II
marantz 2238b
luxman M-120A
technics sl-b10

Comments

• cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,884
    I had a pair of RTA-8Ts for 27 years and just let them go last year for a pair of Signature 60s. They sound and look terrific.

For a more in depth look, here is my review of them.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers#latest

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176133/my-new-speakers#latest
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,075
    Nice, yeah, I was going to say/assume Signature series, but I haven't personally heard them.
    Got Dayens?
  • I am loving my signature S60 towers. Came from a pair of energy CF 50 towers
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,455
    LSiM 705 is the best of the current models.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,627
    F1nut wrote: »
    LSiM 705 is the best of the current models.

Followed by the 703 IMO.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halohalo Posts: 3,944
    zuul wrote: »
    I actually know nothing about modern polk speakers. I've been using old school monitor series speakers (first the 8t's and for the last several years 5Jr +'s) since I was in college.

I'm curious if anyone has used both vintage polks and modern polks and how they compare. I would like to get new speakers and I'm curious if there's a modern polk speaker that are the sonic equivalent or at least similar to the monitor series from the 80's.

Here are the Polks I used to own (in chronological order):
    • R30
    • R50
    • Monitor 10 A
    • Monitor 10 B
    • Monitor 11
    • R.T.A. 11 (RDO tweeters & upgraded crossovers)
    • R.T.A. 15 TL (RDO tweeters)
    • R15 + CSi25 + SVS 20-39 PCi (HT setup)
    • RTi6

I now have the Signature S60 and I also had, briefly, the Signature S30.

Aside from the Monitor 11 speakers, the Signature S60 are the best Polk speakers I've owned. For the price, nothing else (new) even comes close. I'm not going to say that the Monitor 11 speakers I owned bested the Signature S60 because it isn't a fair comparison. The rooms acoustics I've had with the S60 are FAR better than the rooms acoustics I had with all of the "vintage" Polk speakers I owned. I cannot say, with certainty, how they'd fare against one another in the listening environment that I have now but I'd love to find out! lol. In all seriousness, the S60 is a really great pair of speakers and they don't seem to do anything wrong. I'm very impressed with them.

I heard the SDA SRS 2 owned by @SCompRacer and those were amazing but it wasn't a set of speakers that I lived with long enough to know them intimately.

I also heard the LSi9 & LSi15 at the Chicagoland Polk fest and I was far more impressed by the 9's than the 15's.

As many here have suggested, get a set of the Signature Series speakers from Best Buy and try them out for yourself, in your listening environment. If you don't like them, you can return them. If any of the Polkies live near you & have a set of the 703 or 705 you can audition, give them a listen.
  • zuulzuul Posts: 154
    edited February 23
    i appreciate everyone's input....
    i probably should have mentioned that b/c of my apartment set-up i need bookshelf size speakers for stands... as much as i would love a good pair of floor standing speakers instead of having to use a sub for the low end... sadly... i think b/c of the dynamics of my room that would be too much...

i was looking at the s20's but i have nothing to compare them to... for example i'm curious how they match up against the elac's that everyone was ranting and raving about last year...

i had been curious about the lsi bookshelf speakers... it's good to know they are well regarded... i see them from time to time locally for what i believe is a good price for used speakers but i never knew enough about them to commit to a set...

as much as i love the 5jr's... especially since the tweeter upgrade... i feel like at this point they are probably the weak link in my system.... the speakers are the only thing i haven't upgraded... and especially since i got the new DAC last fall i can't help but wonder if i'm not holding the system back by still using the 5jr's... everything else is essentially reference quality... or as close as i'm ever going to get to that. whatever that is... lol.

i would imagine that since i've been using early 90's era monitor series polks for so long that when i finally do switch that regardless of what speaker i use there's going to be an adjustment period.... but i'm really trying to avoid getting into situation where i spend the next few years swapping out speakers searching for nirvana. ideally i'd like to buy a set and be like "that's it!" and then not have to worry about it again for another 25 years.
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    monoprice
    guzi
    belkin gold series usb
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    amplifier: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
    pre-amp: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
    i forgot to mention that based on all the reading and research i've done... at the moment i'm leaning towards the ascend acoustic CMT-340 SE's...

i feel like those are similar in design (2x6.5's and tweeter in the middle) to my polk 11t's which i loved oh so much... but in a smaller box suitable for stands w/ 21st century technology in the crossovers/wiring...

if anyone has any experience with these i'd be psyched to hear what ppl's experience with them has been...

it's weird to me that all the speakers i gravitate towards are 6 ohms.
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    monoprice
    guzi
    belkin gold series usb
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,165
    At the current prices I would get a pair of LSiM703s if you have a decent amp. Couple used pairs available right now on the forum for crazy prices. You simply cannot get better speakers for the coin...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 6,917
    Rooftop is absolutely correct. I'm using a pair of LSiM-703's right now in a small room without a sub and they sound great, the cost of them right now is a no-brainer. I don't have a ton of experience with the vintage monitors, but I have Monitor 4 Peerless and Monitor 5 Peerless along with a set of Monitor 7C's with 194's and upgraded crossovers. I really like them all, but if you're looking for a bookshelf I'd pick up a pair of 703's in a New York minute. I also have a full set of LSi's, and those are also no-brainers at used prices now. In fact, they are unbelievably cheap right now. My GF is using my LSi-9's in a decent size room without a sub and she absolutely loves them - they are really nice speakers for the buck. In addition, Polk really got it right with the LSi-7's, they are not as deep as the 9's but a bit easier to drive, and with a sub would be the cat's meow in an apartment IMHO. The prices of the used 9's and the 7s are give-away basically. However, if you are looking for bookies that you don't have to worry about for awhile I'd go with the 703's - the LSi series is older and the LSiM was completely redesigned which resulted in a better speaker - easier to drive, better sound spectrum top and bottom and the price of LSiM-703's right now are the best deal out there for the buck. I'm running the 703's with a Pioneer Elite SC-05. Like Rooftop said, I don't know that you can get a better speaker for the coin at current prices.
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,391
    edited February 23
    And if the 703's still bust your budget, don't overlook the S60's as a backup plan.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

Memes are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we need to lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

In addition to the above, just remember the LSiM's will need a significant break-in period. I was not happy with them right out of the box. But after a significant up and down break-in period, I've come to really like them.
  • xfactorxfactor Posts: 25
    I don't know, Since the demise of the SDA SRS lines of speakers polk hasn't even seemed to "try" to make a "great" speaker. The best now are just "so, so " at best.
    Once Polk got their speakers into Best Buy's stores it was all downhill. The best minds left the company. and a couple of them started 'Golden Ear' . They make a decent speaker. Some would say "great" actually. A SAD end to my favorite speaker company as far as I am concerned.
    System;
    Pass Labs X-350, Nakamichi Pa-7 x5, Onkyo M-509 x3, Amps
    Marantz AV8801, Onkyo P-309, Preamps
    Marantz NA-6005 media player, Oppo UDP-203, Project Turntable
    2x Martin Logan Descent, 4 piece custom built "Mag Planar" Line-source array speakers.
    If anyoe here is "seriously" looking to drop $3000 on a set of speakers. Honestly, Look -up Tekton Design" and their "Double Impacts"
    For the price of the LsiM's you'd get a speaker that sounds like it's worth $3000.
    I'm NOT dissing Polk because I want to, They have earned the review they are getting now from me. And anyone whom has followed the company like I have since the 80's will tell you the same. Damned sad though..........."sigh"
    System;
    2x Martin Logan Descent, 4 piece custom built "Mag Planar" Line-source array speakers.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,009
    xfactor wrote: »
    I don't know, Since the demise of the SDA SRS lines of speakers polk hasn't even seemed to "try" to make a "great" speaker. The best now are just "so, so " at best.
    Once Polk got their speakers into Best Buy's stores it was all downhill. The best minds left the company. and a couple of them started 'Golden Ear' . They make a decent speaker. Some would say "great" actually. A SAD end to my favorite speaker company as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps you should forward this message to the Engineers that created the Lsi, and Lsim Series, and also the guys that created the SRT speaker system.
    I am sure they will be enlightened to find out all the Rave reviews, and great sound, and accolades received by those speakers that were only "so so" at best, and just how much better they could have done..... :(
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Ok X, since you seem to be stuck in the past, and are so disappointed in a speaker company that has been in business for 46 years making extremely well made speakers that can last a lifetime, that just about ANYONE can afford and can purchase ANYWHERE what is your point?

You obviously want the snob price/name factor to your speakers. As you stated, there are plenty of other options out there for you, so go there.

Polk is doing just fine with the market that they are aimed at. And since their products can usually match up to speakers in a higher price point, they are crying all the way to the bank with their "so, so" speakers.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • verbverb Posts: 2,377

I detect a Troll here. Wrong forum dude!
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,188
    cfrizz wrote: »
    can purchase ANYWHERE what is your point?

Except an audio store.

It's nearly impossible to actually listen to a Polk speaker.

With very little effort I can get my ears on; B&W, Sonus Faber, Totem, ELAC, GoldenEar, Magnepan, Focal...

I strongly feel that Polk's difficulty with connecting to the market is because they have almost ZERO presence outside of internet sales.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
    Polk hasn't had a hard time with people connecting with them in Best Buy/Magnolia.

Or is this another complaint because Polk dares to sell their product in a mass market store? Oh and make money by doing so! But in doing so they irreparably damaged their audiophile standing with the uppity audiophiles.

Again this is more about old timers complaining about a market that has been changing for YEARS!

So you like going to a store to look, listen, touch speakers, but there are fewer and fewer of those around, so you adapt and go where you can get the product. You simply do your research, read reviews from Amazon, and other online retailers as to how people like their speakers or dislike them, then make a decision if you want a pair or not.

The good old days aren't coming back, and Polk has to go where the money is and where their excellent products will sell. Don't like it, move on to some other audiophile approved speaker, and take your complaints about the good old audiophile days over to them.

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,889
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Except an audio store.

With very little effort I can get my ears on; B&W, Sonus Faber, Totem, ELAC, GoldenEar, Magnepan, Focal...

I strongly feel that Polk's difficulty with connecting to the market is because they have almost ZERO presence outside of internet sales.

SVS and HSU have had pretty good luck with internet sales. Just saying....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Except an audio store.

SVS and HSU have had pretty good luck with internet sales. Just saying....

THANK YOU Ken!

A good chunk of the marketplace IS online now. Shopping online saves time, energy, and sometimes money, with a wider range of options to choose from including Polk's own website selling their most recent products.

Some people could use this site to do research, but with having to wade through all the people waxing poetic about 30 year old speakers and putting down current product makes it kind of hard to do so. It's best to go to someplace like the AVS website to get quicker results.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,377
    The title of this thread makes me think of David Bowie.
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,188
    HSU and SVS are doing okay, but a VAST majority of consumers have no idea who they are. Same with Oppo.

As far as they don't have an issue connecting with their market, it was a Polk employee that was on this board complaining that they could not move the LMiM's unless they slashed the price in half. Within a month or two of the Signature line being released they were regularly 20% off, or more. Companies don't do that unless they are not moving product and need to dump it. Also known as, not connecting with their market.

Like it or not plenty of companies, even the "snob" ones are changing how they do business to stay competitive. Companies like Focal, Sonus Faber, B&W and Martin Logan offer models aimed at internet buyers while maintaining higher end models within the in-store dealership network.

It makes sense to push online sales. But it also makes sense to still have a good foothold in a store. Even if Polk just put the LSiM and RTi line in stores they could have done a lot of good for themselves.

Heck, I can drive 20 minutes down the road and listen to ELAC speakers at my local audio store. Are those a snob speaker?

I have not said that the new Polk speakers are bad or trashed the product. But I stand behind not liking how they are marketing Polk speakers. I think Polk is holding themselves back, not the product.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
    I have tried soo hard to find the good thing about the new speakers. I am from the Baltimore area so "Polk" is a hometown thing as well. I bought a pair of the RtiA9's about 6 months ago to try them. After reading about all the money that they said they put into the R&D in those speakers. And looking at them on-line. They came and man they were beautifull. But the sound at "reference" level is pretty bad. The tweeters just are shrill. I know sound is objective. But after having them. And hooking them up to some of the best equipment out there? I had to agree with allot of the reviews that I had read that said the high end wasn't good. I am just being honest. Polk has allot of hardcore followers. I KNOW because I used to be one. I still want to be but .....for the same money now? nope. But I still kept those A9's, They are my surrounds. And I still use the RtiA6 as my center even though I have better gear. Polk isn't the same as it was. "IF" it was then why did all the well known engineering staff leave? Wasn't it two of them that founded "Zu Audio"? And "GoldenEar Speakers" Look them up on line and you can read about them lamenting what happened to Polk.
    System;
    I wish the guys from Polk would read this cause they have to know it's true. They probably have a safe full of idea's that they just never went with. "After" they got into the big box stores. I have to agree with everything :"UpstateMax" said too.
    Getting into those big box stores was a two edged sword.
    System;
    edited February 25
    well this thread took an interesting turn... lol. yikes.

but i appreciate everyone's input nonetheless...

it's interesting b/c if we're being honest part of the reason i haven't really looked at modern polks seriously is exactly b/c i really never seen them anywhere except @ fry's... and i never read about them anywhere... except on this site... i don't know if that's lack of exposure or if the product just doesn't rate reviews in major audio publications...

since i've mostly dealt with the old school monitor series i think i've been spoiled... i know those speakers are something special b/c compared to a lot of speakers i hear in the sub $500 range there is no comparison. but i also know that with the exception of the tweeters i just upgraded, the speakers and the design and the hardware are all antiquated at this point.

for most of the time that i've been using polks i've been using them with nice but for the most part entry level equipment... since i've gone to higher quality gear... i've noticed an improvement in sound overall but as i mentioned above... at this point... compared to the quality of the rest of my gear... the polk's are the odd man out...

as intrigued as i am by the 703's i feel like for that kind of money i can do better. most of the speakers i'm looking at now have won awards in well regarded forums... and have a lot of press and user reviews to further flesh out info about the product...

i'm from new england and in studies there is no region of the country that's more brand loyal. so it's not an easy decision to move away from polks after almost 30 years but based on my research i don't think i'm going to get to where i want to go sonically with their modern offerings...

i certainly didn't want this thread to devolve into one bashing polk and their products... but that some people are so passionate about it makes me feel like there's got to be something to it...

whatever speakers i end up with... i'm going to keep my psw-10 in the lineup for the foreseeable future... it's a great sub. and i see no need to replace it at the moment...
    speakers:
    bowers & wilkins 685 S2
    polk psw-10
    components:
    oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
    interconnects:
    monoprice
    guzi
    belkin gold series usb
    speaker wire
    audioquest type 4
    power:
    vansevers 211 power cord
    pangea ac-14 power cord
    tubes:
    misc:
    JRiver Media Center 24
    sanus 24" speaker stands
    adcom gfp-555II
    marantz 2238b
    luxman M-120A
    technics sl-b10
    No offense, but you are just flat out wrong if you think you can get a better bookie for the $500 or so a new pair of LSiM 703’s go for now. I don’t know what you mean by “that kind of money”? A pair of nearly New 703’s just sold for $400 on this forum. I think there’s another pair for the same price shipped. That’s no-brainer territory. I have a copy of the “Technical Brief” written on the LSiM series and believe me some very high level engineering went into that line. Lots of bs and trolling going on.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,912
    zuul wrote: »

To answer your question....no, there is no current model that would mirror the older Monitors sound. I'm not aware of any newer model, from any brand, that would. It's more so a unique sound, made for a unique era in audio, before HT was all the rage.

The closest you might find, in a newer model, are those that project a more classic British sound, even then though, might be too laid back for some. Your question is more so a longing for that vintage sound, just like old receivers compared to todays.

I see lots of comments bashing the RTI's, keep in mind RTI stands for Reference theatre Improved, and was a more upgraded version of the previous RT line. These are geared to be more forward and dynamic, for HT use. Not that you can't use them for music, but they are more forward sounding.

If your ears are not liking the forward sound, you can warm them up a bit by choosing warmer sounding gear and cables to take that edge off. You can also re-do those crossovers to take the bite out a bit. Or simply choose another speaker, like the LSI OR LSIM's, which are geared more so to the musical side of things and not as bright.

Some of this boils down to preference, some to simply using a speaker for it's intended purpose, and still some to wrong gear and cable matching. Either way, you have choices in Polks line up to match your preference and intended use. Bashing a speaker for one reason or another doesn't portray the whole story and does nothing but foster discontent with a brand.

Times change, markets change, preferences change, and Polk does a pretty good job trying to keep pace with all of it imho, while still offering value for the buck.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,009
    edited February 25
    dromunds wrote: »
    No offense, but you are just flat out wrong if you think you can get a better bookie for the $500 or so a new pair of LSiM 703’s go for now. I don’t know what you mean by “that kind of money”? A pair of nearly New 703’s just sold for $400 on this forum. I think there’s another pair for the same price shipped. That’s no-brainer territory. I have a copy of the “Technical Brief” written on the LSiM series and believe me some very high level engineering went into that line. Lots of bs and trolling going on.

Not to mention money inflation factor. (30 years have passed now)
    What cost $1,000 in 1990, is now seen as approx $2,000 today.

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

The closest "new gear" that is similar to what "I thought" the direction that Polk "would:" eventually go but didn't Is Tekton design. But they don't go "On Sale". They do however give you a "I think" 60 day trial period or maybe 30 days...not sure. The guy that designs them even sounds like the old Polk engineers. Passionate!. and not afraid to go on forums AND there is allot of bashing about those products too. No one speaker makes everyone happy. But those have one main thing in common with the Polks of yesterday, that MADE Polk. Awesome Crossovers that are progressive in technology. So much so that they have to be handmade here in the states. By a person that knows what they are doing. Not a generic factory worker. Allot of the new gear does have trial periods now. At least the good stuff. And he has models for LESS than Polks. I am after good sound. The best "I" can get. And about moving sound forward. Gear that the companies believe in gets money back guarantee's. where is polks? SVS has the same trial. Golden Ear too. Polk can't "evidentally" move much without slashing prices. I agree with a post above that allot of money went into those A9's in R&D. But where? I see it in the baffle. But NOT in the drivers. Not in the crossovers. and surely not in the sound.
    You may call what I am writing "bashing" but that's NOT my point. The whole reason I even came here was to put three sets of SDA's I have on sale because I just don't have the room for them any longer. WHY? would I have them IF I didn't like Polk?
    I still hope they get their &*^$ together . That they make speakers that all can afford is great. But Radio Shack makes speakers too. That all can afford.
    The LsiM's are going now for $400? That's because that's about all they are worth "soundwise", That's not what I am saying. That's what "The market" is saying.
    Brand loyalty? loyal to a corporation? Really? Think about that. I did it too.....But i have to admit that it's not the smartest thing I ever did.
    In the land of the blind? The one eye'd man is KING.
    System;