Had a very unsavory discussion with a member of the audiophile community today

Options
2»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^He's a great guy ...sometimes a few $$ more but for the chat and service...priceless

Speaking about Brent
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yea like you wear underwear Kerry i call bs right there.

Color me embarrassed that my secret is out...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

Kerry couldn't find a sail maker worth his salt to stitch such a pair of briefs.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    While scouring the internets, I typically will stop by the PrimaLuna website to look at their equivalent of the System Showcases.
    You get a lot of German/European audiophiles who operate on the far right of the log scale of "Price per Performance". They have the means to operate in the nether regions, where the laws of physic may, or may not, apply anymore. :o I say, more power to them.

If a dealer hears from a customer that they want to take their system to the nth+1 degree, okay, here's what your cost will be to take it there. No problem.
    But if a dealer tries up "up sell" by ridiculing one's more-than-respectable gear, then that's a bit of a problem.

A while back (6...8 years ?), Prima Luna had a contest for "Vote For Your Favorite System", with the prize being ..... a full set of KT120 tubes ? I can't remember exactly what the prize was, but it was pretty big, and it was won by one of our tubey Polkies.
    I don't recall the Polkie's name, nor do I ever recall reading of his views on the tubes.
    Anybody recall what I'm referring to ?
    If you do, just remember .... drugs are bad, m'kay ? ;)

Interesting to hear of some of the opinions on PrimaLuna. Is the opinion that of "Very good gear, but over priced" or .... ?
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    ^^^He's a great guy ...sometimes a few $$ more but for the chat and service...priceless

Speaking about Brent

Indeed....and he always stands behind his tubes. Even if you don't like the sound of something you bought, he has a window to return them for a refund or try something else. The peace of mind is worth the few extra dollars.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    btw.....Kerry doesn't wear underwear for a reason. What do you think he covers his windows with ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,460
    Options
    uhh, Kerry, I don't think that's your secret that's out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    btw.....Kerry doesn't wear underwear for a reason. What do you think he covers his windows with ?

No, its because he's too cheap to buy tinfoil for his hats....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    No, its because he's too cheap to buy tinfoil for his hats....

Interesting. Especially considering I wrapped my dreadnought in my filthy underwear. :p
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    In the past I purchased quite a number of tubes from Kevin, tubes that were hard to find, but he had them. I never experienced anything close to what is being described. He was always pleasant and I enjoyed discussing a bit of audio with him.

Same here. He is of course opinionated, a guy with a sales background, and not a bit shy about sharing his opinions. He does at least to go the trouble and takes the time to try and understand what his customers are after, hence the questions about what a product will be used with. Kevin has done the same thing consistently over the years.
    Sharing opinions about audio gear happens all the time and is part of the hobby, including talking negatively about things if someone thinks strongly enough about a product in comparison to something else. Happens all the time on this forum too.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't recall ever seeing anyone post something that said "You've made a huge mistake, you need to return that product if you still can." after someone posted about a new piece of fully functional gear they purchased.
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Sharing opinions about audio gear happens all the time and is part of the hobby, including talking negatively about things if someone thinks strongly enough about a product in comparison to something else. Happens all the time on this forum too.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't recall ever seeing anyone post something that said "You've made a huge mistake, you need to return that product if you still can." after someone posted about a new piece of fully functional gear they purchased.
    Emlyn wrote: »

I have done so and will continue to do so. It would be a disservice not to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    Sorry I guess I should have clarified, I meant on a nice piece like a $2k preamp from a boutique company.

Not a situation like a throw away Onkyo $150 AVR or something for driving a pair of LSiM705s.
    I have done so and will continue to do so. It would be a disservice not to.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    The difference is he is trying to sell me something he is the importer and distributor for instead. There is no semblance of objectivity in the situation, if someone on here says that, it is very different.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I called that joint once with a question about a tube amp. The guy couldn't get off the phone with me quick enough and came off as condescending, as I wasnt looking to spend a ton of money. Just one persons experience though....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Condescension from a hifi dealer? I am shocked. Shocked.

;)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited February 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Condescension from a hifi dealer? I am shocked. Shocked.

;)

That's why they used to be called "Brick and Mortar" stores. Higher margins than selling used cars.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited February 2018
    Options
    .... and some of 'em were, and still are, good.
    Deja Vu (e.g.) in NoVa sells great stuff, and they're not jerks.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Well I called up Brent Jessee and the experience was night and day. He recommended a few sets of tubes to me and I bought a couple pairs to try out, some mid Amperex Bugle Boys and Mullard "shield logo". Spent some good money on them but out of these two sets I am sure I will find something I like
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Dayum! Nice pickups. I'm sure you will be happy with those sets.
  • tonyb
    Options
    "Had a very unsavory discussion with a member of the audiophile community today"

If you ever had a chance to sit down with Russ, EVERY conversation is an unsavory one. Just sayin'.....ya need thick skin in this audio hobby for sure. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    "Had a very unsavory discussion with a member of the audiophile community today"

If you ever had a chance to sit down with Russ, EVERY conversation is an unsavory one. Just sayin'.....ya need thick skin in this audio hobby for sure. :)

What's your address?......
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    While scouring the internets, I typically will stop by the PrimaLuna website to look at their equivalent of the System Showcases.
    You get a lot of German/European audiophiles who operate on the far right of the log scale of "Price per Performance". They have the means to operate in the nether regions, where the laws of physic may, or may not, apply anymore. :o I say, more power to them.

If a dealer hears from a customer that they want to take their system to the nth+1 degree, okay, here's what your cost will be to take it there. No problem.
    But if a dealer tries up "up sell" by ridiculing one's more-than-respectable gear, then that's a bit of a problem.

A while back (6...8 years ?), Prima Luna had a contest for "Vote For Your Favorite System", with the prize being ..... a full set of KT120 tubes ? I can't remember exactly what the prize was, but it was pretty big, and it was won by one of our tubey Polkies.
    I don't recall the Polkie's name, nor do I ever recall reading of his views on the tubes.
    Anybody recall what I'm referring to ?
    If you do, just remember .... drugs are bad, m'kay ? ;)

Interesting to hear of some of the opinions on PrimaLuna. Is the opinion that of "Very good gear, but over priced" or .... ?

That was Thsmith here on the board. I think it was actually a set of EAD KT-88s. He liked the tubes (said they bettered the Treasure KT-88 quad he was using) but said he wouldn't pay retail for them (over $1000 a quad iirc).

As far as Primaluna, I have a PL Prologue 4 which I like very much. I bought it second hand and definitely glad I did so after reading the above posts. I would not by from UA after reading this post. Again as far as PL goes I'm very impressed with the amp. It sounds great, is very reliable, and is easy to maintain as far as full tube amps go. I love the versatility as far as all of the different power tubes that you can run in it. The bass on their amps sound more solid state than tube while retaining the beautiful tube mid-range and highs. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PL products to anyone, just don't buy from UA. Lol!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yep, don't blame the product, blame the a-hats selling it. That's the bottom line. PL has darn fine products, too bad they hooked up with a kooky salesman.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    In the past I purchased quite a number of tubes from Kevin, tubes that were hard to find, but he had them. I never experienced anything close to what is being described. He was always pleasant and I enjoyed discussing a bit of audio with him.

I had the same experience with Kevin. Purchased several tubes for the BAT VK-3i I used to own from Upscale, and had zero issues with him.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago, however. Things can certainly change.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    I bought a Manley Chinook SE from UA in Dec 2016. 4 mons later a PCB board had to be replaced by Manley, then when I got it back the logo light would not light up. Kevin D had Manley send me a new Chinook SE plus he threw in another set of Philips PCC83 tubes for my troubles. He did OK by me.
    [