Parasound JC-2 BP - worth the bucks?

Mr_Hz
Mr_Hz Posts: 176
edited September 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Couldn't help but notice the recent sale Audio Advisor had on the black color edition of the Parasound JC-2 preamps. Normally a $4.5K price offered at $3K. Still quite a bit of coin, but obviously 33% less so. The question I have is that at that reduced price, is this piece of kit worth it? I did some 'internets' searching, and all seemed to come back with very positive views of the JC-2. Got the feeling that there is a strong following for both the JC-2 and its former edition, the JC-1.

As for myself... its been a slow transformation getting myself to step up from lower common names/models to the higher pro-sumer/near audiofile gear. Always hard to part with more of my hard earned money over a couple 10ths of improvement here and there... Yet things changed for me once I obtained a slightly used Bryston 4B-SST2 amp, and I've been slowly upgrading some of my other pieces around it ever since. Right now I have everything connected to a Marantz AV-7005 pre-pro, but I know I could benefit from more '2 channel purity.' That Marantz AV also feeds a MM7055 5 channel amp, so I could keep both the pre-pro and the Parasound JC-2. Just debating whether to take the plunge, to further upgrade the system.

Thoughts/comments welcomed.
2.3TL's - Living Room
CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
Post edited by Mr_Hz on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2017
    Just my .02, but for the coin, I'd be looking at tubed pre amps from the likes of Joule/Vac/and a host of others. I like Parasound, but I think tubes kick it up a few notches more and allow you to tailor the sound to your preferences rather than being stuck with what Solid state pieces have to offer. Just a thought....if your worried about spending big bucks on small incremental improvements, go for something that will give you bigger jumps in sound quality. I see the amp opens your eyes, as it does with most, but that's just the beginning. Everything matters in the chain, problem for most is we can't all upgrade everything at once so the changes appear to be smaller when you upgrade one piece at a time. What I like to do, when I get worried about small changes, is take the piece I upgraded back out of the system after a while. See how the sound changes once you return the system to it's prior state. Do that with a few pieces and you won't worry about small changes anymore.

Once you get a pre amp in place you like, upgrade the cables and source components. It's always hard to decipher a certain piece's worth unless everything else is up to snuff too. Good luck to you.

BTW....That Bryston is a sweet amp, nice score.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I have battled this one out in my mind a number of times. (and lost)

The best one could say is the Parasound is noiseless. It shouldn't depart
    any of it's own character. That is a lot of money for nothing. You should
    get a bit more detail out of the proceedings. I'd be shocked if you didn't.

You might get a bump with improving the power situation as well.

OTOH,

that Marantz is noisy. (based on the specs) Even noisy tube amps would
    seem to be a step up.

So it comes down to SS vs tubes. (and versatility of the piece for your needs)

The amp upgrade was a nice step as Tony points out. Well done there.
    I don't know how much you use the 5 channel so...
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    It is funny that you started this thread. I just picked up the JC2BP from the sale at Audio Advisor. It arrived yesterday and I am currently breaking it in. It will replace my P5 if I can observe an improvement.

As has been discussed I am sure it will be a small incremental improvement if any. I am in no way a critical listener or rather have the ear to detect certain changes that others observe right away.

I know it has been said a million times here to go to a tubed pre-amp but I do not want to go down that rabbit hole with so many tube options/variables.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • A John Curl engineered pre, what's not to like.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Here ya go! Nothing like real world experience.
    SGM has the power conditioning in place as well.
    Please post back your experiences.
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    It is funny that you started this thread. I just picked up the JC2BP from the sale at Audio Advisor. It arrived yesterday and I am currently breaking it in. It will replace my P5 if I can observe an improvement.

As has been discussed I am sure it will be a small incremental improvement if any. I am in no way a critical listener or rather have the ear to detect certain changes that others observe right away.

I know it has been said a million times here to go to a tubed pre-amp but I do not want to go down that rabbit hole with so many tube options/variables.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2017
    ^^I am very curious about the noise floor vs the P5. Should be a vast improvement.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited September 2017
    The above observations about noise floor are correct. The JC2 was designed to have a very quiet background. I also have Sonic Frontiers tube preamps but prefer to keep the JC2 in the two channel system. Not because of the sound quality necessarily, because a top quality tube preamp is more musical even if the noise floor is higher. The thing is I don't have much time to listen to two channel music, maybe once a month now, and my tube preamps sound good only if they are left warmed up. To me the JC2 is a better compromise. It is very powerful and neutral. Listening to vinyl through it takes away the musicality advantage a tube preamp has.

One caution. The JC2 is designed to complement Parasound Halo amps. The sound using it with a Bryston amp may be a bit sterile, dry. Also, if the JC2 is brand new it needs a couple hundred hours of use to open up and bloom.

If integrating into a home theater system I would suggest something at a lower cost like the P5.
  • motorhead43026
    edited September 2017
    I agree on the P5, and it's good qualitys the noise floor is easily dismissed.

• motorhead43026
    edited September 2017
    Check out the new Anthem STR integrated. It is what wet dreams are made of.

Oops, actually the wrong thread, but I will leave this here anyway.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• Mr_Hz
    Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. Appreciated. sgmsmg, interesting timing there, and yes, spurred by the sale. Not having ever dealt with tubed equipment, and just recently stepping up my game on some items... I don't think I'm ready either to go the tube route. So many choices, and other than McIntosh, I've never really followed 'you's who in the tube zoo.'
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Mr_Hz
    Just an FYI... I now have a Parasound Halo A21 amp on the way. (Thanks to recent Audio Advisor sale/special pricing) Will pair this up with the Parasound JC-2 BP Pre-Amp I previously purchased.

Will still look at other solutions to compliment my Bryston 4B-SST2 amp. Ultimately - looking for high performance systems for both my living room (main listening) and my family room/entertainment/exercise space... both benefiting from solid performing systems. Bryston sells both some preamp solutions, plus their SP3 Sound Processor, which is priced out of this world... Still a neophyte in the ways of tube based pre-amps with so many selections, and no real knowledge on my part. Maybe time for me to do some 'homework.'
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The above observations about noise floor are correct. The JC2 was designed to have a very quiet background. ......

One caution. The JC2 is designed to complement Parasound Halo amps. The sound using it with a Bryston amp may be a bit sterile, dry. Also, if the JC2 is brand new it needs a couple hundred hours of use to open up and bloom.

2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom