All the Polk SDA upgrades located in one place!

Comments

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    There is no way to use mono blocs on blade/blade stuff. NONE!
    Unless you do not use the cable at all. To use the cable with mono's one of two things happens. Very loud piercing sound or you let the magic smoke out of something.
    Yours are SRS they are not 1.2's

I understand that, I was just under the assumption that everyone were upgrading prior versions to TL's, which a person would have to rewire the crossovers and interconnects to TL specs.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Shelby66 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    IIRC, he states on his site that his boards are not compatible with the SDA SRS.

Where does it state that?

I thought it was on his site, but I haven't looked in a very long time. I now see that it isn't. I guess he figured since the SDA SRS model isn't listed that would be enough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I see also...in order to upgrade to TL in addition to the crossovers, one would have to change the dimensional array mids to 6511's along with the SL3000's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited September 2017
    I see also...in order to upgrade to TL in addition to the crossovers, one would have to change the dimensional array mids to 6511's along with the SL3000's.

Right one can take 1.2 to the tl but SRS would be VERY COST PROHIBITIVE ;)
    Plus if i remember correctly the actual cabinets are made from different materials.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I see also...in order to upgrade to TL in addition to the crossovers, one would have to change the dimensional array mids to 6511's along with the SL3000's.

Right one can take 1.2 to the tl but SRS would be VERY COST PROHIBITIVE ;)
    Plus if i remember correctly the actual cabinets are made from different materials.

I agree, think I'll be keeping mine stock and just upgrading the crossover and internal wiring. different material on cabinets...hmm

• pitdogg2
    New better film caps and better resistors make a world of difference. IIRC SRS is particle board and the 1.2's are MDF. They also made grooves into the MDF inside to break up standing waves.

New wire avoid the clear coated speaker wire. It will just turn green in a few years. Find some good copper chassis or hook up wire. Maybe reach out to VR3 I believe he likes the rondo supra wire or something like that. He has had great success with it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    the Rondo series is awesome for internal wiring. It is tin plated (cant oxidize), super flexible, good gauge (13 awg) and a high quality product.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    VR3 wrote: »
    the Rondo series is awesome for internal wiring. It is tin plated (cant oxidize), super flexible, good gauge (13 awg) and a high quality product.

Sounds like you're talking about "marine grade" wire. Tinned and annealed.
    All kinds of gauges available here;

https://www.delcity.net/store/Marine-Grade-Tinned-Wire/p_365
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    This I'm guessing would be just the ticket for speakers, 25' of 14ga duplex, $12.
    http://www.bestboatwire.com/14-2-awg-marine-grade-wire-tinned-boat-cable-flat-blk-red-25-ft
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • VR3
    no
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ZaPHoN
    ZaPHoN Posts: 90
    edited April 2019
    Is there a board suitable for the SDA SRS and SDA 1B from gimpod? I don't see either the SDS SRS or SDA 1B listed.

I'm also trying to figure out what parts I need to buy for both the SDA SRS and SDA 1B.
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT AMP McIntosh MC2125
    THEATER AMP EMOTIVA XPA 7
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    SURROUND LR KEF Cresta 30
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    SUB Tannoy TS 10 Subwoofer
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• pitdogg2
    edited April 2019
    ZaPHoN wrote: »
    Is there a board suitable for the SDA SRS and SDA 1B from gimpod? I don't see either the SDS SRS or SDA 1B listed.

I'm also trying to figure out what parts I need to buy for both the SDA SRS and SDA 1B.

No the boards are for 4th and 5th gen only. Earlier models had two crossover boards. 4th&5th only used 1 xo board.

Best is to get inside and view all values and go from there. Polk did a lot on the fly so at times things do not match up with schematic or the schematic changed and may not have been updated.
  • ZaPHoN
    Which one is the polyswitch?

IMG_20190404_135736.jpg
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• F1nut
    It's the small blue one right behind the yellow mylar at the top right of your pic.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZaPHoN
    edited April 2019
    Thanks a bunch F1nut.

The Vr3 mod do the part values and schematics deviate from the?
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• F1nut
    The ?

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    ZaPHoN wrote: »

This one^^^^
  • ZaPHoN
    edited April 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    The ?

Sorry. Was half asleep. I meant do the values of the parts and schematic of the Vr3 and gimpod mods deviate from the factory and if so what are they?

I'm trying to figure out what parts I need from Clarity Cap ESA, Clarity Cap PX, Mundorf Mox Resistors, Jantzen Inductors.

So far I don't see anything that is the same in Clarity Cap ESA.

Example:: I need a 92uf 75v 10% (factory) but don't see anything in the PX or ESA line of Clarity.

The closest is a 100uf or 82uf px from madisound. If I stick with factory which in this case I'm assuming I don't need any inductors.
    Post edited by ZaPHoN on
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• pitdogg2
    You best bet is to get in there and look. Write down all values "YOURS" have to be 100% certian. Some high values you will need to parallel caps to get the value needed or real close to the value.
    Try to stay as close to half values as you can when you parrallel caps or the lesser value cap just becomes sort of a bypass cap.
  • ZaPHoN
    edited April 2019
    These are the parts in the crossover minus the inductors. Can anyone tell me the upgraded alternatives including (if required) new inductors, I should use and does anyone have a PCB layout I can use for the lager components?

TSI-8548 USA PXML130PY75 130uF +-20% Dimensional array 130 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8548 USA PXML130PY75 130uF +-20% Dimensional array 130 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8539 USA PXH20MS50TF 20uF+-10% Dimensional array 20 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8539 USA PXH20MS50TF 20uF+-10% Dimensional array 20 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8539 USA PXH20MS50TF 20uF+-10% Stereo array 20 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8539 USA PXH20MS50TF 20uF+-10% Stereo Array 20 uF - Recomended alternative?
    T1 E-0012-1 12J100V mexico (yellow) Tweeter 12 uF - Recomended alternative?
    T1 E-0012-1 12J100V mexico (yellow) Tweeter 12 uF - Recomended alternative?
    T1 4.4J100V mexico (yellow) Tweeter 4.4 uF - Recomended alternative?
    T1 4.4J100V mexico (yellow) Tweeter 4.4 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8533 USA PXM92PY75T 92uF+-10% Tweeter 92 uF - Recomended alternative?
    TSI-8533 USA PXM92PY75T 92uF+-10% Tweeter 92 uF - Recomended alternative?

As a starting point I've been reading this thread.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1779021#Comment_1779021

Was the PCB board schematic the same as factory in that thread?
    SRSXoverJantzHFInd-s.jpg
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• Could someone show me a pic of what the interconnect wire is for left speaker model num-23351 and right model num-23232
  • pitdogg2
    lonewolf75 wrote: »
    Could someone show me a pic of what the interconnect wire is for left speaker model num-23351 and right model num-23232

How about you show us a picture of what you have?
  • ozzy44
    ozzy44 Posts: 4
    can Butyl Seal Tape be used in place of "DynaMat" on the Stereo and Dimensional Array (SRS) to attenuate "speaker basket" ringing? Thanks for any help!
  • pitdogg2
    ozzy44 wrote: »
    can Butyl Seal Tape be used in place of "DynaMat" on the Stereo and Dimensional Array (SRS) to attenuate "speaker basket" ringing? Thanks for any help!

Pictures of it would help. There are many different types of sound deadening products out there that work. I didn't use "Dynamat extream" mine was called Second Skin.
  • What happen to the VR3 website?
  • pitdogg2
    My guess, Trey is a new father and with the new addition has taken a step back. The site may or may not resume once things settle down. It likely is better to take it down than not be able to respond to inquiries.
  • Well, the domain is in redemption. Once that ends one of those squotters will likely grab it.

• Nice work. I hope to start some upgrades to my 2.3tl's soon.

well, it took me 6 years to get it done, but I am nearly finished with all the upgrades. Thanks V3R for all you did, and thanks to the forum for the info, details, and suggestions. These upgrades work! They sound much better than they did when new, and they sounded great new. They sound amazing now.
  • The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VR3
    That is an old old capture but definitely works! Great find!