Polk S20's

2»

Comments

• UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,120
    I did not think about spikes...

I was contemplating some of the sorbothane hemisphere things though. Any experience with them, Skip?
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,906
    It's been a long time and my ears were not as good as they are now. My thought is if you can get them a few inches of clearance it should give them more room to breathe and balance out the bass some more.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,713
    Hey Max, so how'd this turn out for you?
    @msg , they are fine for the workshop.

I ended up borrowing a more powerful amp from a family member that had one sitting around and that helped. Still a bit bloated for my taste, but better control of the woofer.

Then I went against everything that I stand for and used tone controls to dial the low frequency back and i'm in a happy place.

Once I replace the amp in my 2ch system I'll be bringing the HCA-1500A down to this system and I want to hear how that goes.

I gave them a workout as I did some maintenance on my Fox forks on the bikes and I'm happy with how they are dialed in right now.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku 3 : Oppo BDP-103 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,713
    Nice, glad to hear you got settled with them, somewhat.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,858
    Upstatemax wrote: »

I ended up borrowing a more powerful amp from a family member that had one sitting around and that helped. Still a bit bloated for my taste, but better control of the woofer.

Then I went against everything that I stand for and used tone controls to dial the low frequency back and i'm in a happy place.

Once I replace the amp in my 2ch system I'll be bringing the HCA-1500A down to this system and I want to hear how that goes.

I gave them a workout as I did some maintenance on my Fox forks on the bikes and I'm happy with how they are dialed in right now.

Well, it is a workshop after all. I use a Bluetooth speaker in my garage/workshop, so I would love slightly bloated s20s!

Plus, the target audience for these is going to be using them with a AVR with calibration, which will also help if there is a midbass hump in one’s particular room. As this price point, I don’t think these are aimed at the 2 channel audiophile lol...
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,209
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Well, it is a workshop after all. I use a Bluetooth speaker in my garage/workshop, so I would love slightly bloated s20s!

Plus, the target audience for these is going to be using them with a AVR with calibration, which will also help if there is a midbass hump in one’s particular room. As this price point, I don’t think these are aimed at the 2 channel audiophile lol...

If no one is home I'll just crank up my main system :) other than that I have no shop tunes.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk TSX250C
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S30
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Absolutely. If these were for a dedicated 2ch system they would have been sent back.

As I said before, I DO NOT expect these to stack up to my 2ch system. But I was disappointed with balance of this speaker.

I don't think I will keep these long term.

I plan on some new speakers in the HT, in time. When I do replace the HT speakers, I will be moving a pair of the Focal 806V's in and I'm very certain that I will be able to eliminate the tone controls and enjoy my overkill workshop system...

My goal was to make a reasonably priced system for my basement. I'm happy with it at this point.

Living room:

2Ch:
  • Just returned my S20. Was going to use it in a 2.1 system in a small-ish media room and just found them too boomy and kind of mushy. No way I could have had them even 12" from the wall in my setup.

I was running them with a Yamaha WXA-50 in direct mode (I think that's what it was called with just flat audio, no EQ applied). Even tried setting the speakers as compact speakers instead of bookshelf speakers in the Yamaha's settings and that didn't help.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,762
    You should have returned that 4.28 lb. Yamaha. 4.82 lbs.!!!

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• Yup, ended up returning that as well after I got a great deal on a Marantz NR1508. Spec.-wise though, the Marantz would have pushed less to the S20 (55W from the Yamaha and 50W from the Marantz).
    It's not about watts, it's about current.

I've driven the S20's with an 8wpc vintage Pioneer integrated, but it's got balls.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• Where do manufacturers list the current in their specs.? I've only seen wattage listed.
    edited February 3
    That is not easy to find until you get into the higher end gear. However, a good sign that the piece has a respectable current (amperes) rating is if the wpc rating doubles from the 8ohm rating to the 4ohm rating.

Even if it doesn't double, but is rated to drive a 4ohm load that is a very good sign.

• So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

"The NR1508 is rated at 50W RMS for 8-ohm speakers. If the speakers have 4 ohms of impedence, the RMS wattage would be twice that (100W)."
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,858
    That marantz is a good piece, and will provided probably a little more than 50 wpc into 8 ohms, and will stay very close in surround mode. It has a nice full, slightly warm sound that should pair nicely with the polka!
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    Synomenon wrote: »
    So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

"The NR1508 is rated at 50W RMS for 8-ohm speakers. If the speakers have 4 ohms of impedence, the RMS wattage would be twice that (100W)."

They are wrong! That Marantz is not rated to drive 4 ohm loads and therefore is incapable of doubling its output.

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,429
    edited February 6
    Right. They are just speculating. Incorrectly.

Comon Crutchfield, try harder.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Synomenon wrote: »
    So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

They are wrong! That Marantz is not rated to drive 4 ohm loads and therefore is incapable of doubling its output.

Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
2»