Help Me Spend My $$$

I am always in this debate...crossovers on my 2Bs or REAL amplification?! I have always desired a Marantz Model 250 but do need these crossovers refreshed. I can only do one this year, I can do the other the next.

GAHHH
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Tough one, IMO, a Marantz 250 is likely to need some refreshing too at this point won't it? If that's the case, I would do the crossovers first.

If you're talking about getting something shiny and relatively new and going separates, I would do the amp.

There, I managed to provide no solution and give two answers, my work is done.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    crossovers...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl wrote: »
    Tough one, IMO, a Marantz 250 is likely to need some refreshing too at this point won't it? If that's the case, I would do the crossovers first.

If you're talking about getting something shiny and relatively new and going separates, I would do the amp.

There, I managed to provide no solution and give two answers, my work is done.

I saw one on Ebay for $599 that was just serviced. I didn't go into the details of what was refreshed but will look again.

@tonyb I know this is probably what I should do but I think of it like this. What if I have to put my 2Bs away or end up with a different pair of speakers until I have the REAL space for them. The money will not be wasted but won't be enjoyed, I know the crossovers will make the biggest difference in sound quality especially with my almost 20 year old caps.

Would it be worth it to go cheaper on the crossovers (not Sonic Caps) and get maybe a Parasound HCA1500? I have a nice Denon Preamp in my closet that needs some deoxit but should be good besides that.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I would go less expensive crossovers and a new amp. Both problems solved. I have used Jantzen and Dayton caps with excellent results.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Personally, I would find a good condition Parasound HCA-1500 and wait on the crossovers or just make minor updates to them. Have the tweeters on the 2Bs been updated already? If not, that's where I would start.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    If there is nothing spooky going on with your 2B's then definitely an amp. Tweeters are a must if you haven't done that already, so, that would be first, then the amp. My .02....
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    Personally, I would find a good condition Parasound HCA-1500 and wait on the crossovers or just make minor updates to them. Have the tweeters on the 2Bs been updated already? If not, that's where I would start.

I did get some RD0 194s but both batches were bad and cause a resonance on certain piano frequencies. I put the SL2000s back in for now, kinda put off of the Rd0s due to bad experience. I don't want to drop another $90 for buzzing tweets.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited February 2018
    If you hurry - there are still some Clarity caps out there for close out in the PX and ESA line, but the quantities are dwindling fast, my 2Btl's have Solen in the low-pass and ESA's up high and sound great IMO. Come to think of it, I might have some 12uf Clarity PX leftover at home I would give you. I'll check weekend after next and let you know if you're interested.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• I also plan on spiking the 2Bs as I lost a lot of bass reinforcement when going from a carpeted room to a wood floored room. I hope that will restore what I am missing.

• MrBuhl wrote: »
    If you hurry - there are still some Clarity caps out there for close out in the PX and ESA line, but the quantities are dwindling fast, my 2Btl's have Solen in the low-pass and ESA's up high and sound great IMO. Come to think of it, I might have some 12uf Clarity PX leftover at home I would give you. I'll check weekend after next and let you know if you're interested.

Bonus won't be in until later this month but I plan to go through Dave (DHS) to upgrade the crossovers as my soldering skills are how do I put it...non existent? Yeah that sounds about right.

• TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

I did get some RD0 194s but both batches were bad and cause a resonance on certain piano frequencies. I put the SL2000s back in for now, kinda put off of the Rd0s due to bad experience. I don't want to drop another $90 for buzzing tweets.

Skip the RDO194's and rebuild the crossovers so they use RDO198's.

SDA 2BTL's for the win.

I know TLing them is advised, I will discuss with Dave when the time comes but I am seriously considering it.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Crossovers with built-in amplification or amplifier with built-in crossovers.

Either way = problem solved.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    MrBuhl wrote: »

I agree to go with the crossovers first. I was able to snag all of my clarity esa caps at like half off a little while back due to close out sales. Definitely made buying nicer caps a little easier on the wallet.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Crossovers.

That way once you start changing components further up the chain, you will be able to hear what the end result will be.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    If those are your long-term speakers then do the XOs. Those old caps are worn out. You'll be surprised how much better they'll sound overall including improved bass response with new caps.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell wrote: »
    If those are your long-term speakers then do the XOs. Those old caps are worn out. You'll be surprised how much better they'll sound overall including improved bass response with new caps.

Oh I don't doubt it, I think the loss of bass response is placement (still 6 inches off the backwall but I have them 8 feet apart with a entertainment center between them) and my new room which is laminate wood flooring instead of carpet. I am hoping that spikes will help with this, if not ill just deal with it.

• Maybe spend some of your dough on a powered sub?

Spikes improve pretty much all speakers. Fact!
  • Slapaho wrote: »
    Maybe spend some of your dough on a powered sub?

Spikes improve pretty much all speakers. Fact!

I currently have a Velodyne CHT12 in the mix so that's covered.

• Update - Packed my crossovers up and getting them shipped out to @westmassguy today for some upgrades. Pretty excited to take this step and see what comes of it.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cool man, they're in good hands.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I plan on spiking these at the same time. Anything in particular I need to know about removing the riser and drilling the holes?

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2018
    You could remove the base, use it for a template, cut you an insert and install it to make it flush at the bottom. Just a thought
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    You could remove the base, use it for a template, cut you an insert and install it to make it flush at the bottom. Just a thought

I don't have experience with wood work or removing them ao I am more curious of it is held on my glue and I slowly and carefully pry it off with even distribution etc etc.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Flip them upside down and post a picture. So we can see what you're dealing with
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Waiting for the crossovers to be sent back, I started thinking about amplification more. I know B&K is highly regarded around here, I saw a B&K ST2140 for $200 recently, I read 140 watts into 8 ohms and I am sure it has plenty of current. Anyone have experience with this model or similar?

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    edited March 2018
    Waiting for the crossovers to be sent back, I started thinking about amplification more. I know B&K is highly regarded around here, I saw a B&K ST2140 for $200 recently, I read 140 watts into 8 ohms and I am sure it has plenty of current. Anyone have experience with this model or similar?
    I run a ST1430 (it's three channel so I have one spare) on my SDA SRS 2’s and I really love the sound. Very transparent. I always wish for a little more umph, but what good is a rabbit hole if it isn’t deep...? I think the 2140 has very similar guts but some newer features like remote trigger balanced inputs and I'm not sure if it has gain pots but if it does that would be nice, mine doesn’t. Well built, simple design. Supposed to be 185wpc into 4ohms. I paid $150, so if you can get it for $200 I’d jump on it.

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I plan on spiking these at the same time. Anything in particular I need to know about removing the riser and drilling the holes?
    I recently reworked some SDA 2's that had water damage to one of the bases. I removed the base pretty easily. They had been glued on and there was one ~2” finishing nail driven through the base, centered on each side. I used my Dremel to remove a little wood around the head of each nail then used vice grips to get onto the nail head and they pulled out with some effort. I was then able to pop the old glue with a sharp (but careful) blow or two from a rubber mallet.
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Update - Packed my crossovers up and getting them shipped out to @westmassguy today for some upgrades. Pretty excited to take this step and see what comes of it.

You are going to be SO HAPPY !!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Got the crossovers and everything hooked up tonight. Time for the burn in!