Found some old TT parts

teamjhertz
teamjhertz Posts: 361
edited February 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
I found this in a box from my dad.

I would be interested in knowing if Anyone has any experience with these cartridges.

I really have no idea about TT parts and do not use a TT so any input is appreciated

ncjdhn9rrzbu.jpeg
d0tktcyzc4sc.jpeg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2018
    That's an old ADC "Brick" cartridge!
    Not something you see every day :)
    Should be good. High compliance; best in a low-mass arm (not such a common thing any more). Wonder if all of those styli ("needles") are good? :)

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92393

One caveat, even if the styli are all brand new, the elastomeric "suspension" for the stylus's cantilever (the little arm on which the diamond stylus is mounted) can harden with the passage of years (decades).

PS http://www.vinylengine.com is your one-stop shop for cartridge & tt info. :) Free registration required to download info from them (and well worth the effort).
    https://www.vinylengine.com/library/adc.shtml
    They don't have docs for the 25, but they do have the instruction sheet for the 26 (FWIW).
  • Thank you very much for the info.

Not sure that i would ever use them but will do some reading
  • If I remember correctly the ADC 25 was the first cartridge to break the $100.00 limit. Everybody was sure no one would ever pay that much for a phono cartridge.
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    It kind of looks like that Pickering may have come with the "hair brush duster" attachment that a lot of them use to have. It would have clipped on the two holes located on each side of the black plastic piece. I, and several of my friends, had Pickering cartridges, similar to the one pictured, during the 1970's. We used to call them "Marvin Martians", because the attachment resembled the Roman Legion style brush that Marvin wore on his head. I know, it was a bit of a stretch, but it was kind of funny at the time.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • mhardy6647
    If I remember correctly the ADC 25 was the first cartridge to break the $100.00 limit. Everybody was sure no one would ever pay that much for a phono cartridge.

Could be, that I don't know!
    Reminds me of Volvo breaking the $10,000 station wagon barrier in the 1970s :)
  • mhardy6647
    oh, I didn't see the Pickering when I looked at this post this morning! Yes the Pickering would've had the brush. The VTF needs to be adjusted sans brush, but I am not sure by how much :p Vinylengine should have all of the relevant info (in case no one here pops up with it).
  • Learning a lot thanks guys