Modded RTi8's vs RTiA9's

I have been considering getting the A9's to replace my modded 8's. The 8's have a rebuilt crossover using Sonicap caps and Mills resistors and have performed great for the last 6 or so years. They are powered by an Adcom 555. I have two Klipsch Ref 12" subs and my receiver is a Yamaha Aventage 1060.

The wife likes to really crank it when she works out and really pushes the 8's to their limits....

Would there be a big difference in db's?
Would the 555 power them ok? I was thinking about getting another 555 and running each in mono (or is that overkill).
I also have an Adcom 545ii and could get another one (2 channels per speaker) in lieu of the 555.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    One 555 should be enough. I'm not sure about a difference in db. They would both probably go loud enough to damage hearing. Might not sound too great doing it but I bet you'd reach your limit before they do. Unless "work out" means tread mill sprints and she's trying to listen to music over that. If that's the case, headphones are probably better.

The A9 may feel louder because there're more drivers and probably more bass.

I'm mostly just guessing though :)
  • I don't know about modded, but the A9's are definitely superior to the 8's in stock form. Crisper, brighter (if that's a good thing) more defined, definitely more bass and mid-bass, and the Adcom has enough power to do them justice.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Can you hang on to the RTi8s when you spring for the A9s?

Full range, the 555/A9s should lift the house off the ground. But you may find the 'A9s bright by comparison.

My 2c. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • I have the a9 and they were once powered by a 545. I wasnt happy with that setup till I got my b&k. It tamed the high and brought pleasure to listening.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I was thinking about getting another 555 and running each in mono (or is that overkill).
    Overkill? Naaa. I question if that's possible.
    I also have an Adcom 545ii and could get another one (2 channels per speaker) in lieu of the 555.

Thoughts?
    Could be almost as much fun as 2 555s... ...yikes! here comes the tomatoes...

I refer you to twin 555s and/or my earlier post
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Thanks for the feedback. I don’t know if I would want anything brighter than what I have. I may have to reconsider the amp if I go the A9 route.

I would keep the 8’s and use them in my other system: Nakamichi pre, Adcom 545 and Snell Basis 300 sub. I do enjoy them much more after the crossover mod.

Again, I appreciate the input.