SRS 2s in a 15' x 25' room with a 38wpc tube amp?

I've been building out a room in my new home as mancave/music room. I got the basics of my system up and test out this morning. As was the prevailing prediction, unfortunately my CRSs really aren't up to the task. They sound as gorgeous as ever, but they just can't push the amount of air needed for a room this large and the bottom end just gets lost in the space.. Quite frankly, when I did the restoration on them, I never imagined that I'd have a room this big to put them in. So my maxed-out pimped-out 4.1TLs might be hitting the market soon.

Question is, what comes next? There's actually a pair of SRS 2s on CL here in Tampa, that would be too easy.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/vintage-polk-speakers-sda-srs/6446432400.html

I think the price is high compared to where I've seen them sell, especially since I'm looking at SL2000s in the photos. But I've never had experience with SRS 2s, not sure if they're up for the task in a room this large either?

Also, they are blade/blade. I'm quite fond of my Dreadnought and the benefit it provides. Do I recall that the blade/blade SDAs can't use the AI-1?

And... I'm really not looking to change amp either. No idea if my tube amp is capable of pushing them. I've got the KT88/EL34-based VPI 299D. It handles the CRSs with ease. Depending which mode you run the triodes in, it puts out as much as 38 wpc. Those are "tube watts" which as we know get you far more bang for the buck than a solid state amp. But could an amp like this push SRS 2s?

Please give me the low down on the SRS 2's, I'm really not all that familiar with them. What's the upgrade path? Can they be TLed?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That model for the room size will be an ok fit, but I can't see dropping that much on the ones listed... I would think 3.1s might fill the space a bit better. I have SDA 2s in a slightly smaller room and they don't take much to pressurize that space. As for the A1, I recall that it was pin/blade for that one.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    2.3’s or 1.2’s would be what you need in that space.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    My Cave is 18x21 and my SRS2's will kick you in your chest if you want them to.

Now 750... ???? That's high!

I think they would work in your space so offer him 500 max. Try 400 and see what they say. New tweeters and you'll have 600 into them at that point. That's not to bad unless you want to upgrade the cross-overs. Then you're well over a grand but people say it's worth it for the BIGGER boys. I don't know of anybody upgrading the cross-overs in the SRS2's. Maybe one or two guys did it.

I think that's really high. Spend another 250 and get the BIGGER boys. But then the possibility of having to buy 8 new tweeters instead of 4 plays in.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    There was a pair of 1.2s in Gainesville a few months back, but they're gone.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    There's a pair of 2.3tl's here in Texas I think I could get for 800 or maybe under if we could figure out a way to get them to you.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2018
    While eating brunch, I thought about your amp.

I don't own a tube amp nor have I ever had one. Well I did find an old HH Scott tubed amp and then through it back into the trash later on that year. It didn't work but it did light up. BIG mistake of mine!

I don't think it has the power to play the SRS2s -B/B. I believe they're 4-ohm versions.

Maybe other tube amp owners will give some input. Like John with his amps and big SDA experiences.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nspindel
    The amp has a choice of 4-ohm or 8-ohm speaker taps.
  • nspindel
    edited February 2018
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    There's a pair of 2.3tl's here in Texas I think I could get for 800 or maybe under if we could figure out a way to get them to you.

Not just yet, need to clear up some bigger budget items in the house before I can sell the bride on speakers! Or sell the CRSs, gotta think this through....
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    The SRS 2's are a tough load, my 2.3TL's were easier to drive than the SRS 2's. The 3.1TL's are an easy load (8 ohm) and will produce around 85% of the sound of the bigger SDA's.

Just my 2 cents.
  • nspindel
    Tony M wrote: »
    I don't own a tube amp nor have I ever had one. Well I did find an old HH Scott tubed amp and then through it back into the trash later on that year. It didn't work but it did light up. BIG mistake of mine!

Yes, that'd be a mistake! The original Scott tube amps are highly sought after.

• nspindel
    The SRS 2's are a tough load, my 2.3TL's were easier to drive than the SRS 2's. The 3.1TL's are an easy load (8 ohm) and will produce around 85% of the sound of the bigger SDA's.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds silly, but I've just never liked the look of the 3.1TLs. 2.3s are an interesting idea. I'd love to test a pair out with my amp. Think I'll pop another thread up and see if there's a pair anywhere close by that I can test my amp out with.
  • Mike Reeter
    nspindel wrote: »

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds silly, but I've just never liked the look of the 3.1TLs. 2.3s are an interesting idea. I'd love to test a pair out with my amp. Think I'll pop another thread up and see if there's a pair anywhere close by that I can test my amp out with.

I hear where you're coming from, things can't sound good "if" they don't look good. I'm a Visual guy myself.

EL34 Based Amps will drive your CRS+'s, 2B's and 1C's beautifully. The Large SDA's...sorry, not enough stuff.

• nspindel wrote: »

Just my 2 cents.

I hear where you're coming from, things can't sound good "if" they don't look good. I'm a Visual guy myself.

EL34 Based Amps will drive your CRS+'s, 2B's and 1C's beautifully. The Large SDA's...sorry, not enough stuff.

If you look at the crossovers and drivers you will see this is true.

SDA 1B's = blade/ blade SRS 2's
    SDA 1C's = pin/blade SRS 2's.

The only crossover difference with the pin/ blade SRS 2's is they can be bi-wired or amped. All of the crossover components are identical.

The main difference between 1B's or 1C's is the SRS 2's are bigger cabinet and they have a 15" passive instead of a 12" one.

If it can power 1B's or C's it can handle matching SRS 2's no problem.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Mike Reeter

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT, I just read where your amp can accept KT88's Neil, might be enough. Still, a large space to fill.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Why not 2.3tl's or 1.2tl's? Then you won't be coming down with speaker upgraditis anymore. :D
  • nspindel
    No, just amp upgraditis. And I have an integrated that I’m incredibly happy with. Replacing it means coming up with a plan for an amp, preamp, phono stage, headphone amp, and cables between all of those. I’d much rather find a pair of speakers that will play well with the amp.
  • Listening to Steely Dan through my 1Cs as I type, they sound a little larger and open compared to my 2bs. My system is in a fairly large room 16 x 20 open floor plan, you could go this route and possibly add a sub for the really low stuff just a thought. My 2bs are modded though and the sound is fantastic.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• nspindel
    Oh I know he’s overpriced by a lot, I wouldn’t pay his ask price. But what would be the impedance of this blade/blade version? More difficult to drive?

Also wondering how much I’d be giving up not using the Dreadnougjt? Can the pin blade XO be modded to pin blade spec and use the AI-1? Can these be TL’ed? Just because they’re here in my town doesn’t mean they’re the ones I want.
  • nspindel
    Listening to Steely Dan through my 1Cs as I type, they sound a little larger and open compared to my 2bs. My system is in a fairly large room 16 x 20 open floor plan, you could go this route and possibly add a sub for the really low stuff just a thought. My 2bs are modded though and the sound is fantastic.

My CRSs might sound pretty good if I throw a sub in. That may be a decent idea...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Listening to Steely Dan through my 1Cs as I type, they sound a little larger and open compared to my 2bs. My system is in a fairly large room 16 x 20 open floor plan, you could go this route and possibly add a sub for the really low stuff just a thought. My 2bs are modded though and the sound is fantastic.

My CRSs might sound pretty good if I throw a sub in. That may be a decent idea...

Throw in two for better room response.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mike Reeter
    edited February 2018

Throw in two for better room response.

I've been running a pair of Rythmik F8's with my CRS+'s and my 3.1's. I'll never be without a pair of Subs again.

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
  • nspindel
    I’ve always had a thing about not using subs with SDAs, I feel like I’m cheating on the passive radiator.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I’ve always had a thing about not using subs with SDAs, I feel like I’m cheating on the passive radiator.

In larger rooms the passive can only pressurize it so much. A couple smaller powerful musical subs helps immensely even if not cranked up to 11
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited February 2018
    Can the pin blade XO be modded to pin blade spec and use the AI-1? Can these be TL’ed? Just because they’re here in my town doesn’t mean they’re the ones I want.

Ok are you trying to ask if B/b can be modded to P/b?

If so short answer NO!
    B/b use all mw6509

P/b use 2x6510 and 2x6511
    Yes can be pin/blade can be TL'd
    Inspiredsports i believe had a good thread on it. It has been a number of years ago.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Oh I know he’s overpriced by a lot, I wouldn’t pay his ask price. But what would be the impedance of this blade/blade version? More difficult to drive?

Also wondering how much I’d be giving up not using the Dreadnougjt? Can the pin blade XO be modded to pin blade spec and use the AI-1? Can these be TL’ed? Just because they’re here in my town doesn’t mean they’re the ones I want.

The b/b is 3rd generation. It's 4 ohms out of the gate. With a lower DCR Sub-Bass Drive Inductor, even lower still.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    IF (big IF) you will only use common-ground amps, the SDA 1B/SRS 2 Blade/blade is a fantastic speaker once updated and shown some love.

In my previous home, my 1Bs were in an 11 x 23 room. I had zero problem getting bass even though the speakers were not positioned optimally. I did have an "endless" supply of watts, though. Even in the "new" home--where there is no dedicated music room (yet) so they were thrown against a wall "out of the way" they still sound pretty good. And they're not even connected to the "big-boy" amplifier any more.

I paid $600 for decent-condition SRS 2 Pin/Blade speakers several years ago. $700 for blade/blade SRS 2s is nuts.
  • Schurkey wrote: »
    IF (big IF) you will only use common-ground amps, the SDA 1B/SRS 2 Blade/blade is a fantastic speaker once updated and shown some love.

In my previous home, my 1Bs were in an 11 x 23 room. I had zero problem getting bass even though the speakers were not positioned optimally. I did have an "endless" supply of watts, though. Even in the "new" home--where there is no dedicated music room (yet) so they were thrown against a wall "out of the way" they still sound pretty good. And they're not even connected to the "big-boy" amplifier any more.

I paid $600 for decent-condition SRS 2 Pin/Blade speakers several years ago. $700 for blade/blade SRS 2s is nuts.

I just picked up some real nice blade/blade SRS 2's recently for $250.00. Without any mods they are quite impressive. I can't wait to see what they sound like once they are fully modded.

I'm in the process of modding 2.3. They are getting the full TL treatment, drivers, tweeters gimpod boards, sonicaps, larry's rings and more.

I will say stock SRS 2's and 2.3's are real close sonically when stock. I'm not sure which ones I'd pick. The SRS 2's really hold their own. I will say adding a 1kv dreadnought to the 2.3's helped the soundstage. The blade/blade SRS 2's don't lack anything SDA wise.

Once my 2.3's are TL'ed and fully modded hopefully they will really stand out.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Schurkey wrote: »

I paid $700 for my B/B SRS 2's but they had all the mods done when I picked them up. (194's, xovers, dynamat, speakon's) I bought spikes and was done. Maybe a little more than I thought they were worth but they were also a 10 minute drive away.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • nspindel
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Can the pin blade XO be modded to pin blade spec and use the AI-1? Can these be TL’ed? Just because they’re here in my town doesn’t mean they’re the ones I want.

Ok are you trying to ask if B/b can be modded to P/b?

If so short answer NO!
    B/b use all mw6509

P/b use 2x6510 and 2x6511
    Yes can be pin/blade can be TL'd
    Inspiredsports i believe had a good thread on it. It has been a number of years ago.

Between my CRS+s and the spare parts I have, I have a pretty good start towards changing out the drivers to 6510 & 6511. If I had the drivers to do it, are the cabinets basically the same?