Polk S20's

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You should have returned that 4.28 lb. Yamaha. 4.82 lbs.!!!

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Yup, ended up returning that as well after I got a great deal on a Marantz NR1508. Spec.-wise though, the Marantz would have pushed less to the S20 (55W from the Yamaha and 50W from the Marantz).
  • F1nut
    It's not about watts, it's about current.

I've driven the S20's with an 8wpc vintage Pioneer integrated, but it's got balls.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Where do manufacturers list the current in their specs.? I've only seen wattage listed.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    That is not easy to find until you get into the higher end gear. However, a good sign that the piece has a respectable current (amperes) rating is if the wpc rating doubles from the 8ohm rating to the 4ohm rating.

Even if it doesn't double, but is rated to drive a 4ohm load that is a very good sign.

President of Club Polk

• So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

"The NR1508 is rated at 50W RMS for 8-ohm speakers. If the speakers have 4 ohms of impedence, the RMS wattage would be twice that (100W)."
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That marantz is a good piece, and will provided probably a little more than 50 wpc into 8 ohms, and will stay very close in surround mode. It has a nice full, slightly warm sound that should pair nicely with the polka!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    Synomenon wrote: »
    So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

"The NR1508 is rated at 50W RMS for 8-ohm speakers. If the speakers have 4 ohms of impedence, the RMS wattage would be twice that (100W)."

They are wrong! That Marantz is not rated to drive 4 ohm loads and therefore is incapable of doubling its output.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2018
    Right. They are just speculating. Incorrectly.

Comon Crutchfield, try harder.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Synomenon wrote: »
    So this is what Crutchfield told me about my Marantz NR1508:

They are wrong! That Marantz is not rated to drive 4 ohm loads and therefore is incapable of doubling its output.