It's Time: Ripping All DVDs and Blu-rays To NAS

2»

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    If i did one movie a night, with handbrake, i am only looking at 2+ years to complete...
    That extra space WOULD be nice, but now i'm just showing how lazy i am.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2018
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If i did one movie a night, with handbrake, i am only looking at 2+ years to complete...

So queue em up for while your at work too....

I’m in the same boat mate lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    mrbiron wrote: »

Unless you have a very slow PC, that is not very productive. DVDs only take about 5 minutes to handbrake on my PC. Bluray take about 20 minutes. Granted, I have a pretty fast hexcore/hyperthreading Intel, but even with my old setup (Core i5 Ivy Bridge), it was about 15 minutes per DVD and less than 1hr for a bluray.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Dual hex core/72GB of RAM makes it even faster. >:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Dual hex core/72GB of RAM makes it even faster. >:)

nh0wok87024c.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Handbrake is great if you want to save on space, and like someone else said, I really can't notice a difference. It does depend on the settings, but I have mine set to 20 on the video scale, and it's hard to tell a difference from the original. Occasionally I can see some banding as part of the extra compression/conversion, but that's rare.

Additionally, the nice thing with Handbrake is you can queue all your movies for conversion. I would rip movies using MakeMKV and then run Handbrake during the night and through the next day with 20 or so movies in the Queue. By the time I got home from work, they were all complete. It will depend on your PC and if you are running handbrake files local to the machine or if you are pushing the input/output across the network to a NAS.

If you want to convert movies faster, it's better to have the original and the converted

The one issue I see with Handbrake is that I don't believe you can retain Dolby True HD, DTS:X, or Dobly Atmos as part of the stream. Maybe I am missing something, but I looked again last night to see and I couldn't see how to preserve those audio codecs. If someone knows how, I would love to know.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The one issue I see with Handbrake is that I don't believe you can retain Dolby True HD, DTS:X, or Dobly Atmos as part of the stream. Maybe I am missing something, but I looked again last night to see and I couldn't see how to preserve those audio codecs. If someone knows how, I would love to know.

Precisely the reason why I have Handbrake but don't use it. My intent is to be able to serve up content to my dedicated theater with Atmos once it is complete and that makes Handbrake a deal-breaker for me.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Precisely the reason why I have Handbrake but don't use it. My intent is to be able to serve up content to my dedicated theater with Atmos once it is complete and that makes Handbrake a deal-breaker for me.

Yeah...I'll use that excuse instead of my laziness.
    Now let me continue to look for the cheapest 8TB Red because I'm running out of storage...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    The latest versions of Handbrake have pass-through for Dolby TrueHD/ATMOS/etc. It was added a year or more ago. No worries there.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    billbillw wrote: »
    The latest versions of Handbrake have pass-through for Dolby TrueHD/ATMOS/etc. It was added a year or more ago. No worries there.

tenor.gif
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jill3um
    Jill3um Posts: 1
    I don't know if you have ever heard about VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper. It works amazingly well for me though it has to be paid. But I think it pays off cuz it is really powerful and efficient in ripping any dvd/blu-ray for me for playback on my windows and mac and even iphone.

Actually I used to use Handbrake, but its complicated interface really drives me nut, so then I resorted to VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper.

It really kills me! I love its amazingly fast conversion speed (which is powered by many accelerations) and HD output quality.