Monitor 5jr vs RTI a1 or 3's

Options
Any recommendations if I should upgrade or if it's an upgrade?

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    If you have the 5JR+ (has passive radiator), keep them and update the XO. I'm a little biased though.
  • lowstang
    Options
    A guy on audio karma said the RTI's are for home theatre and monitors are for music. Really liked the RTI's when I heard them. But again the M5jr sound great so why waste money
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    That guy is me. R stands for Reference, T stands for Theater, i stands for improved, A stands for the series.

Have you upgraded the crossovers in your Monitor 5jr's?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    I’ve owned both monitor 5s with peerless and monitor 5jrs with non-peerless (never checked the model #). The former destroy the RTis in every way, no contest. The latter I thought sounded pretty similar to rti6s that I also owned, albeit with the caveat that the 6s were brighter (that treble bump gets old real fast).

I would keep what you have and upgrade the tweeter and the crossovers fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • lowstang
    Options
    I haven't upgraded the crossovers. So far I'm looking at the tweeter and they are the all black and not the silver dome tweeters. Sorry I'm new to the Polk scene and a bit of a new comer. By upgrading the crossover, do you mean recap?
  • FestYboy
    Options
    New caps and resistors. The tweets are sl2500 IF there are passive radiators, peerless tweets if there is a port.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Ok! You can TL mod them with RDO-198s if you want to go full bore.