Recommendation for turntable

Sumerian
Sumerian Posts: 490
edited January 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello Guys,
Its been quite a while since i posted in this forum.
I have been away from audio nirvana for a while.
Planning to add a turntable to my setup.
I have Cary SLP05, Polk 707 connected with shot gun S3s powered by JC1s. My budget is around 600$.
Greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
Based on internet search Audio technica and U turn seems to be the good ones in that budget range. What you guys think?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Check out my thread. Lot's of cool stuff:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180385/show-me-your-tts/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    $600 puts you in the market for a number of good options. If you're determined to buy new, U-Turn is certainly worth considering, though IMO there are a few other more established/more-experienced companies that are worth considering, such as: Rega, Pro-Ject, Music-Hall, etc. If you're willing to venture into the used market you may be able to snag a deal on some pretty serious tables.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited February 2018
    ^^ totally agreed, you could get a pretty nice table used and some vinyl cleaning and maintenance stuff for that, and you'll want that with a nicer table IMO ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Do you have a phono pre amp? IIRC the SLP 05 didn't have one...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Sumerian
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the replies. Can you please let me know what i should look at in used market.?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I would look at something in the Pro-Ject Debut series.

For $400 you can get a solid belt drive TT with a nice arm and an Ortofon Red preinstalled. Or for $600 you can get one with a speed box built in.

I think they basically show up plug and play...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Do you have a phono pre amp? IIRC the SLP 05 didn't have one...

This is an important question.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2018
    well -- in the interest of option creation, the mass-market (gasp!) direct drive Japanese turntables from the mid 1970s into the early 1980s were -- good. Not great, but good. Medium mass arms that are good match for today's medium to low-ish compliance cartridges (MM, MI or even most MCs). The arms quality were generally good, the bearings decent (see note below). The drive systems were good and the general level of construction (especially earlier in that era, or at higher price points) was good and sometimes excellent.

They were also unfussy in setup (they were massmarket items, after all!) but care in setup will yield commensurate improvement. They're also relatively tweakable and upgradable.

They're not quite bargains any more, but $300 to 500 still ought to buy one a lot of performance in the used market.

Panasonic (Technics) sold zillions of DD tables for a reason. Their tts were tremendous values on the market of the time.

I was a snooty European tt audiophile in those days (belt drive, suspended subassemblies, and light, straight arms), and I looked down my nose at the massmarket Japanese hardware. The benefit of four decades of hindsight helps me realize how narrow-minded I was. Those Euro-tts were (and are) great, but the Japanese DDs are fine equipment for enjoying records (which was really what most folks want -- and probably still should be, for most folks, the primary goal).

The one caveat, take care to avoid an old tt that was, as they say, rode hard and put away wet. Check the bearings for play in both planes, make sure the drive system is running smooth and quiet (and on speed). CLA, as the camera guys call it (cleaning,lubrication and adjustment) may well be needed -- but all in all there's really not much to go wrong with those old workhorses.

Of course, you (the OP) will need a phono preamp unless your amp or preamp has one on-board. Decent phono preamps are available starting at around 50 smackers (I am specifically thinking of the Art DJPre II :)http://artproaudio.com/turntable_preamps/product/djpre_ii/

Whoa, that got voluminous, didn't it? sorry... :p

24216429785_2ef0ace7e3_b.jpgDSC_2464 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Amen to mhardy6647! I was also a snooty European tt audiophile. I bought a Thorens in 1973 and still use it regularly. At age 22, I couldn’t afford a Linn Sondek. You might find some of these used for a good price, but beware of condition issues and the suspended designs can be a little tweaky about setup and placement.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I agree with good deals being had on the used market, but part of it depends on how "handy" or "involved" the OP wants to be.

A used table can be a gamble, and need service, or a new cartridge/stylus etc...

New tables in his price range usually come pretty much dummy proof, and ready to plug and play.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I agree with good deals being had on the used market, but part of it depends on how "handy" or "involved" the OP wants to be.

A used table can be a gamble, and need service, or a new cartridge/stylus etc...
    I agree 100.00%, for the record.
    New tables in his price range usually come pretty much dummy proof, and ready to
    plug and play.

hmmm -- I dunno. I concur that, e.g., the U-turn is set up to run right out of the box (which is commendable). From my perspective, the cheap modern tts* just strike me as a little delicate. I am not sure that delicate = dummy proof.

Again, I am (seriously) not anti-new-tt, just providing some counterpoint, as is my wont ;)

I appreciate your thoughts and experience. And for the record...I am definitely not anti-used TT. Used is how I purchased all 3 of mine. :)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    ^^ And don't forget about the cartridge. Good arm and good cartridge.
  • mhardy6647
    The Rega arm is a classic; I cannot argue with that!

:)
  • Sumerian
    Looks like it's not that easy to zero down on a TT.

• mhardy6647
    Sumerian wrote: »
    Looks like it's not that easy to zero down on a TT.

It's like everything else -- if there were only one great tt at any given price point, there'd only be one tt available at any given price point.

Sort of like cars. I mean, somebody buys Fiat-Chrysler products! ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2018
    We would recommend a Rega turntable with a Grado FTE+, an NAD 3020 integrated amp and a pair of Spica TC50 on Chicago speaker stands and the combination would absolutely amaze owners. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't people still listening to that system.
    Put a Grado or Shure M97 on a well cared for second hand (if you're going that route) Rega turntable and if there's any money left get a basic Nitty Gritty record cleaner. Nothing could be finer!
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Heh. I still have a Grado FTE+ Heck of a cartridge, it was, for thirteen dollars.

13434720275_9b6e7e785a_b.jpgGrado stylus pull3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I'd like to think that the modern Grado Black is still in the same league. A l'il pricier, though.

Ken's recommendation is a solid one (no surprise) -- I tend to think of the Regas as enthusiast's turntables, but mostly because they're very basic (not because they aren't good). In terms of the Rega arms, the RB200, RB300 and some of their kin have appeared on many, many very good turntables (some at pretty rarefied price points). They're good arms.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2018
    I loved the cardboard tube the Grado came in, with the plastic tool to take out the stylus if the owner ever needed to. Grado put a small amount of a black sticky material where the stylus joined the main body.
    That cartridge and the Sennheiser HD414 headphones were the best values in audio ever.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited February 2018
    I loved the cardboard tube the Grado came in, with the plastic tool to take out the stylus if the owner ever needed to. Grado put a small amount of a black sticky material where the stylus joined the main body.
    That cartridge and the Sennheiser HD414 headphones were the best values in audio ever.
    I still have the one of those cardboard Grado tubes. It is black and green, if my memory serves me well. :p

81nla7bh9k4p.jpg

• mhardy6647

Folks used to sometimes scrape the black damping goo out of their cartridges -- oops. :)

I have the tube which "my" FTE+ came in. I will dig it out & take a photo anon.

I bought it for my parents and installed it in a Philips tt I'd passed along to them. It served them well for years, and I ultimately inherited it back. It's still installed on a tt here... now, just don't ask me which tt it is currently on. All I remember is that it's on a Japanese "SME-style" headshell :)
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Folks used to sometimes scrape the black damping goo out of their cartridges -- oops. :)
    Guilty.

• mhardy6647
    This is a guilt free zone; it's OK :)
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I still have the one of those cardboard Grado tubes. It is black and green, if my memory serves me well. :p

81nla7bh9k4p.jpg

whoa, talk about inflation.

When I bought the one pictured above, the price was $13. The FC+ (or FCR+ or whatever it was called), with conical stylus, was $9. :)
  • Viking64
    edited February 2018
    I just looked for mine to see what the price was, but I have yet to find it. I know it contains all of my cartridge screws and what-not, but I haven't seen it in a while. :p
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You wanna talk about inflation? I paid $3.00 to see Fleetwood Mac the first time, with Bob Welch

3u66ujgvqnxx.jpeg
  • mhardy6647
    I'm not exactly sure where mine is at the moment, either.
    It is either upstairs or downstairs. Possibly both. Darn that darned Schrödinger!
  • Viking64
    dromunds wrote: »
    You wanna talk about inflation? I paid $3.00 to see Fleetwood Mac the first time, with Bob Welch
    I used to talk to Bob about guitars on his website back around 2003 or so. He wasn't always fast to respond, but he was always funny and informative.
  • Sumerian
    Any feed back on the current onkyo TT?
    May be i should pick a brand first and pick mid level TT?