Rediscovering my musical roots...

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    They are also the reason The Monkeys existed.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    And Cream is almost as good as The Monkeys were. Glad we got that sorted out. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My favorite band hands down. thank you cousin Tony Dunlap R.I.P.
    We spent many hours in the sweet spot thanks to you o:)
    Queenryche Rules

On my playlist tonight:
    pdacby69vbsh.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I jammed Warning to Promised Land tonight.
    @verb
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I jammed Warning to Promised Land tonight.
    @verb

One of my absolute faves! Promised Land!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    Some Jim Croce and Gordon Lightfoot today.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Good stuff.
    (both of 'em)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Did you know that there's some people that have never gotten goosebumps as a reaction to a great piece of music? It boggles the mind.
    Tony M wrote: »
    So, Were you feeling it like this?
    o9qe9j2pkfbn.jpg

Brings to mind a visit to Treys house. Tom @treitz3 and I were there. We got his Tyler towers (the model escapes me) set up. Fired off the Olympic opening theme song and all hell broke loose....Both Tom and myself had to step outside and catch our breath. THAT!......gave us the goosebumps.

It just felt like I was the conductor of the orchestra.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

"The wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" ALWAYS fills my wall with sound. The speakers disappear and the wall becomes the speaker panel. Fantastic song and recording!!
    https://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb

"The wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" ALWAYS fills my wall with sound. The speakers disappear and the wall becomes the speaker panel. Fantastic song and recording!!
    https://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A

We Michiganders remember the crew every year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the link. Very thorough indeed. The best video and the best link to the history of the ship, crew, and Captain.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2018
    iqx3lowezh57.jpg

xsm3hoabf4vl.png

• Tony M
    "Diggin up Bones" was one of the instrumental songs that made me go ahead and marry my wife. I used to drive through his little hometown quite often. My Mom LOVED his style. She'd leave my dad for him if he asked her she used to joke. :D
    https://youtu.be/F6M2YuAVxuQ
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    An instrumental with lyrics? Fascinating. :o

1rf5lspbsyah.jpg
  • Tony M
    Instrumental meaning from the Dictionary;

Instrumental is defined as necessary or helpful, or relating to musical instruments.

;):D
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    I think the first song I ever liked was this one. I still love echo effects to this day! Like southern Swamp style music has. Steel Guitar slides too.
    https://youtu.be/XR5c-D-ercs
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Was going through my library today, setting up a drive for the Oppo, and loaded it with all kinds of music of different eras, genres, etc.
    What hit me the most (nostalgia-wise) was all the "hippie era" music like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Doors, Donovan, etc.
    I picked up this music second hand from my older sister who was at the right age to ride the tail end of the hippie years, and remained a music lover until she passed away almost two years ago.
    Memories of her strumming her guitar along to "Mellow Yellow" brought a smile to my face.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I am a huge Elvis fan (6'2", 255 pounds). I bet I can still name all 31 of his movies where he played a different character (other than himself). :p I love to drag out my Elvis CD's and play random, obscure songs of his. I am always surprised at how well I know almost every lyric, even 30-plus years later.

I just heard "More Than a Feeling" by Boston. That's one song that really brings me back to a special place. Oddly enough, that is also the subject matter of the song itself. I would name more songs, but I would probably never stop typing.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    I liked "More Than a Feeling" a lot myself. Great lyrics! and music!

" Foreplay" & "Long Time" combo..on CD was played a lot here and across the street at a buds house and garage to test new speakers.

Boston doesn't have any "long time ago" memories associated with them for me, but sure does from 15 or fewer years ago! A true Volume Test Track for us, many times!
  • verb
    Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, among others did it for me in my musical formative years in high school. For those that grew up in Chicago during the mid late 70's, in the height of the disco vs. rock-n-roll debate. A local radio station decided to exhibit the demolition of disco records prior to a White Sox game at Comiskey Park. It totally destroyed a big chunk of the field, and the crowd
    (I amongst them) then rushed the field. The game had to be cancelled! Wow! Memory Lane! Today you could never do this!
    z2vfq5dvfk3y.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    That was like a downsized Woodstock gathering. Largest White Socks crowd in history.LOL. I saw in that clip that that DJ got blamed for ending Disco music.LOL.

What a memory you must have from that day! :pB)

I still LOVE Donna Summers Voice on her Disco, R&B and Funk songs! I used to use her greatest hits CD to test speakers too. I rocked and/or Discoed my Polk RT3000P's to her stuff years ago. 15 years or so. Then came Boston.. B)
  • mhardy6647
    Somehow, disco doesn't seem as bad to me looking back as it did at the time.
    :|
  • nooshinjohn
    I prefer the Funk side of disco. Going to see Morris Day and the Time in March. I haven't seen them since I was getting in for free at !st Avenue in Minneapolis.

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I prefer the Funk side of disco. Going to see Morris Day and the Time in March. I haven't seen them since I was getting in for free at !st Avenue in Minneapolis.

I was just cranking the 1.2tl’s to him a minute ago.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Somehow, disco doesn't seem as bad to me looking back as it did at the time.
    :|

I'm glad I wasn't rich during that time.

I probably would've needed rehabbing, if you know what I mean ;) .
  • verb
    That was like a downsized Woodstock gathering. Largest White Socks crowd in history.LOL. I saw in that clip that that DJ got blamed for ending Disco music.LOL.

What a memory you must have from that day! :pB)

I still LOVE Donna Summers Voice on her Disco, R&B and Funk songs! I used to use her greatest hits CD to test speakers too. I rocked and/or Discoed my Polk RT3000P's to her stuff years ago. 15 years or so. Then came Boston.. B)

Yeah good memories, but funny that I haven't reflected on that day for quite some time. Foolishness of youth, but still I gotta smile!

Confession - I did/do enjoy Donna Summer, and yes, the BeeGee's !
  • mhardy6647
    I'm a-sittin' here on a dreary New England February Saturday (Melville & his damp, drizzly November of the soul hadn't seen nothin'!) listenin' to Three Dog Night.
  • verb
    Back from Saturday errands. Takin my Honey shopping, obligatory lunch, etc. Down the hatch into the basement to Powergrab my 1C's. Hmmm, need motivational music. Maybe Styx Grand Illusion...