SDA 1.2TL Interconnect cable help

Hi everyone,
I'm a proud owner of the SDA 1.2TL ... again.
Had a pair years ago, sold them, missed them so much, bought another pair 10+ years later. After all these years, I've still not found any speakers that are better value for money.
I've had lots of speakers which haven been better ... but they've been things like the Genesis 350SE which are mega money.

This new pair of 1.2TL doesn't have the interconnect.
Initially I thought it was a standard 2 pin min, but turns out it's not. It looks the same but much bigger.
I've read you can just use an RCA cable with only the pin. I'll do this if I have to, but wondering if I can get the proper plug.
I've also read the other alternative is to replace the pin blade socket with a Neutrik Speakon connector. While this looks good, probably too time consuming for me at this stage.

Does anyone know if the original 'pin blade' plug is a standard size? If so, can these be bought somewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2018
    Ends cannot be bought aftermarket any where. The cables come up on eBay once in a while for close to 80-100 dollars.
    You have been given the only 2 choices you really have, unless someone wants to get off one or you would like to wait it out for one to show up on eBay.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Go Speakon, it's the better option.
  • puunda
    puunda Posts: 116
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    I was wanting to make sure the sockets were not a standard plug you can buy somewhere, and it looks like it's not.
    For now I'll use the RCA cable method, but going forward I will use the Speakon method.
    Will the speakon socket fit on the current round plastic plate? Or do I need replace it with another plate?
  • pitdogg2
    It will fit in the same location once you take the old out.
  • puunda
    Just to confirm.
    The Neutrik/Speakon looks to have 4 connectors. Do I use all 4 and have 2 pairs connected together? or do I just use 2?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Are you making a regular SDA cable or are you getting a Dreadnought?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• puunda
    I was going to make a normal SDA cable. To replace the one which came with the speakers. Was going to get 2 x Neutrik NL4 sockets and a 5m NL4 cable.
    What is the Dreadnought?
  • FestYboy
    Dreadnaught allows use of non-common ground, and monoblock amps. There are other benefits as well, but that's it's main job.
  • puunda
    Right. I'm almost positive my amp is a common ground (Onkyo/Integra AVR), so will be using the normal cable. Have ordered 2 x Speakon sockets, a 5m Speakon cable (both 4 poles/wires), and 8 nicer looking binding posts. Will be an interesting project.
    Meanwhile will use a mutilated RCA cable for my SDA effects
  • F1nut
    Not so fast. Using a Dreadnought with a common ground amp results in better sound than a regular SDA cable.

You need to make sure the SpeakOn socket is airtight as not all are. The spec sheets on Neutrik's site have that info.

I strongly suggest not using an AVR to drive those speakers as you'll never hear what they are capable of.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• puunda
    So the Dreadnought can be used on both common ground and non commond ground amps? And that it makes it sound better? Why isn't everyone doing this?
  • FestYboy
    $$$ and getting the proper transformer
  • F1nut
    puunda wrote: »
    So the Dreadnought can be used on both common ground and non commond ground amps? And that it makes it sound better? Why isn't everyone doing this?

A whole lot of people already have.

Reasons others haven't:

They don't know about it.
    Money
    Ignorance
    Think it has to be the special order 1000VA, when the standard 800VA is fine.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I've got an OEM pin/blade cable FS . . . PM me if interested
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    BOOM there you go...
  • puunda
    Had a chat with GlennDog, and it looks like the shipping to Australia will be too prohibitive. So back to the original plan of using RCA until I can upgrade to Speakon (parts ordered), and eventually Dreadnought.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    The dreadnought took my SDA's to a whole new level. Watch the forum for future special group orders of the 1000VA transformer coordinated with toolfan machining the cases at the same time. Until that happens, do all the other recommended mods.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • pitdogg2
    I doubt we will ever get the required amount to special order again but gosh it would be nice to get one.
  • If a special order happens i would be game!!!!!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • puunda
    I've been searching for the dreadnought but not really found any solid instructions. From what I can tell you can the 800va transformer, but the 1000VA is the better one, but it's not available? I'm assuming this is a special transformer? Does someone have a link to the info or instructions to this?
    Meanwhile I'm using an RCA cable, which is working well.
    I've ordered 2 Speakon connectors and a Speakon cable, as well as some fancy insulated banana terminals. Will put those in when they arrive.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Sounds like you have 2 maybe 3 people. That's a nice start. Might be time to start a thread.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    In as well

I’m in!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2018
    I would have but I just bought the AL -906 so I'm going to put that together this weekend and call it good.

1. Install it in a shielded enclosure.
    2. Wire it up like this:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Right Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Black/Orange

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

Left Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Blue/Violet

4gw56cl1c8bk.jpg

Of course mine will be far more ghetto than this one...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    verb wrote: »
    In as well

I’m in!
    With the OP you have 4 and I think the minimum order is 10.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    audioluvr wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA That one is mine, now. :)
  • monepolk wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    In as well

I’m in!
    With the OP you have 4 and I think the minimum order is 10.

Plus someone needs to talk with Larry about possibly building enclosures too.

I might be in. I already have a 1kva one from the last group buy but I could use another one for my shop at some point.

Someone also needs to be designated to collect everyone's money, place the order and ship them out to everyone once they receive the order.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I would have but I just bought the AL -906 so I'm going to put that together this weekend and call it good.

2. Wire it up like this:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

4gw56cl1c8bk.jpg

I gotta start collecting royalty fees
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420

2. Wire it up like this:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

4gw56cl1c8bk.jpg

We have a volunteer for collections!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2

2. Wire it up like this:

Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

4gw56cl1c8bk.jpg

We have a volunteer for collections!

Trust when i say...
    You do not want Tonyb showing up at your door.