SRT's IN THE HOUSE!!!! :D

13»

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited February 2010
    mantis wrote: »
    I'm still waiting of the SRT pic's out of the box and set up. I would love to score a full SRT system. This is very cool.

Pics are coming, I promise. It may seem crazy that they are still in the boxes but it really is a two person job to safely (that being the key word) get them out of the boxes without damaging the grills and get the sattellites mounted on the subs.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    If I knew freight wouldn't eat my lunch I would take a shot at your 3000s! You are on the wrong coast. Mine function, but they are not much to look at:cool: and my email program rejected your address:)

I suppose shipping would be expensive for them. Before I can even think of selling them, I have to take one of the sub plate amps down to the Polk repair center and have it fixed. It started making a bad sounding noise through the drivers (even with all cables disconnected) just a few weeks ago. :mad: At least when I sell them, I'll be able to say that both plate amps have been serviced by Polk within the last 2 years. The other amp has new caps and even if that doesn't end up being the problem with this amp, I'll probably just have Polk replace the caps while I'm there just to be safe.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • polkie4life
    polkie4life Posts: 231
    edited February 2010
    dpowell wrote: »
    Pics are coming, I promise. It may seem crazy that they are still in the boxes but it really is a two person job to safely (that being the key word) get them out of the boxes without damaging the grills and get the sattellites mounted on the subs.

If ever i have to take a satellite down, when i put them up i get the wife to guide the locator pins for me. I did try it once, (luckily before i painted them), and it left scratches.
    They are very awkward to handle on your own. :o
    In terms of audio, i truly feel sorry for the visually impaired. How can they know what they like if they cant read google?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=86838
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    I worked on running the extra cables tonight. I finished snaking the left SDA channel speaker cable and have the left tower in place. Dang these are heavy! Also pulled the CS1000 and swapped out the Monster cable for the MIT cable that came with the system. Still need to run wire for the right SDA channel and that is a bit more involved than the left channel (due to my cabinet). I'll finish that tomorrow and get the other tower placed. I'll get pics posted tomorrow. I'll still need to connect the controller and configure it before I can provide feedback on sound.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Here's the first of many pics to come. These speakers are huge. My wife is 5' 1" so that gives you an idea of how tall they are. You can also see how the RT3000's pale in comparison.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Finally got them hooked up. Oh man.....words cannot describe. They are awesome! Such clarity, detail and raw power. I'm literally scared to keep going on the volume because they just seem to be getting started after already having them up a good way. I've got a lot of work to get them dialed in good and have already started working on tuning the bass. I don't even have my SVS on right now and these bad boys act like I'm holding them back. No lack of bass here.

Current setup:

L/R pre-outs Y cable to controller L/R for subs and out to Adcom where another Y splits the signal into two 150wpc channels per satellite. Two channels on the Adcom directly drive the L/R stereo arrays and two more channels on the Adcom connect to the controller and head out to the L/R dimensional arrays. That leaves the last remaining channel on the Adcom for the center channel. The Pioneer AVR is now driving all 4 rear speakers.

The only bummer is that I now have a very noticeable static hum throughout the system. I've already started the process of elimination. The worst offender is the HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Pioneer but even after removal, the noise is still there although diminished somewhat. Any SRT owners out there run into this issue?

I'll eventually get a chance to drive these babies when the baby is not asleep and then I'll provide a more robust review.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited February 2010
    dpowell wrote: »
    Here's the first of many pics to come. These speakers are huge. My wife is 5' 1" so that gives you an idea of how tall they are. You can also see how the RT3000's pale in comparison.

I see an excessive amount of dust on the bases of the speakers:mad::mad:

You are hereby ordered to surrender them without delay to the shippers that will show up first thing Monday morning to bring them to me:D:p;)....

Congrats bro... they look great.:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2010
    Unplug the power cables from the subs. See if the hum goes away.
    If it does, you may either have a ground loop or bad caps in the plate amps.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2010
    Do you have a cable box connected?
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    I've isolated the subs and determined they are likely not the source of the problem. In fact, the subs are not emitting the hum. It's only the satellites, center and rears (which are powered by different amps).

I do have a DVR but I quit the cable company and use AT&T U-Verse which delivers video over IP. When I made that switch a few months back, the REALLY bad ground loop went away and I had no system noise. I do seem to be picking something up from the ATT router though. Just unplugged the coax cable from the router and the noise decreased significantly but not altogether. It may be time to spring for a good ground loop isolator.

This sounds like a really annoying fly buzzing around. I may have to go through every RCA cable and see if I have a bad one.....
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    I see an excessive amount of dust on the bases of the speakers:mad::mad:

You are hereby ordered to surrender them without delay to the shippers that will show up first thing Monday morning to bring them to me:D:p;)....

Congrats bro... they look great.:)

Yes, and what will show up in those boxes when they're delivered to you is a pair of Bose cubes. :p

I'll dust them shortly. :)
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Well, a bit more testing reveals that unplugging the coax cable from my router eliminates the noise. Can't understand why this wasn't an issue until I changed the speakers. That's the bummer of it. The good news for me is that I don't have to unhook every single wire (and there's a lot of them with SRT's) to find which one might be the problem.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    I finally have things the way I want them so here are some pics of the final setup.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2010
    How's does the left speaker in the corner sound compared to the right speaker being in the open?
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited February 2010
    Hey -- was thinking the same thing -- maybe he could move his left and right uprights of his wall unit out and put the speakers next to the screen -- just my to pence worth
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2010
    The first pics were interesting, maybe now you could turn up the system and snap a shot of your neighbors expression. :D
    Congrats!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dacoupedeville
    dacoupedeville Posts: 83
    edited February 2010
    You need to redesign the cabinets to accomodate your SRT`s. No compromise!
    HT: SRT's.....Pioneer SC95, Oppo 105D; ps4; Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP; DirecTV

2 ch: SRS 1.2tl's.....Odyssey Stratos monos, Dynaco PAS pre w/Mods, Arcam DV-135, Music Hall MMF 5, AQ wires

Bedroom: SRS 3.1tl's, RTA 8T (phantom center), Pioneer sc-lx701, Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP, DirecTV, ps3

Car: SR 6500's.....Planet Audio HVT752 tube hybrid amps (2), Alpine dvd-a double din HU, two 12" Kicker's
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    How's does the left speaker in the corner sound compared to the right speaker being in the open?

I knew going into this purchase that I'd have to contend with the corner space allocated for the left channel. Unfortunately, the entertainment center is a fixed design and houses the electric screen. Moving the left and right cabinets out to allow for the SRT's to move inward isn't an option. Even if it were, the subs would still be boxed in between the cabinets.

One of the beautiful things about this system is that the SRT control unit gives very precise control over the subs and they can be fine tuned nicely. I haven't cranked them yet since I'm still waiting on an opportunity where kids aren't asleep or in the same room but from what I can tell, their sheer power and presence overcomes the configuration limitations. Right now, all I can compare it to is hearing a corvette idling. You don't see it doing much but you can tell there is a vast amount of raw power just waiting to be tapped into. :cool::D

I intend to experiment with the SVS in different configurations to find the right blend of bass. Since I have the SRT subs connected to the L/R pre-outs and not much LFE signal will go to them, I don't expect too many problems with boominess during movies. The SVS will handle that load and it is not in a corner of the room.

With SDA mode on, the soundstage is awesome. It sounds like the center channel is on but it's not. Compared to the SDA 1C's, the highs in the SRT's are a bit laid back and not quite as bright but still VERY detailed (worlds beyond the RT3000's). Instruments and vocals don't have quite the same 'soul' and realism as the 1C's connected to a tube amp but still sound very good.

I'm now wondering if I can somehow insert tubes into my HT mix where at least I can playback music with some tubeness to bring the vocals alive......

More $$$$$ to be spent.....:eek:
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    madmax wrote: »
    The first pics were interesting, maybe now you could turn up the system and snap a shot of your neighbors expression. :D
    Congrats!
    madmax

It's now my turn to get back at all of my neighbors (and there are quite a few of them) that play their music loud enough to shake stuff in my house 11pm and later. Had to call the cops a few times just to get some sleep. It's nice knowing now that between all of the subs and satellites that I can create piles of rubbel out of just about every house on the block. :D
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Keep this up and you might actually reach the 100 post minimum...

Reported
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited January 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Keep this up and you might actually reach the 100 post minimum...

Reported

No they will ban him how many times have we politely told him and yet he keeps dragging up another SRT thread and posting again and again.