SDA 3.1TL pin-blade connector

Options
Hello -wondering if anyone knows a part # and description for the interconnect connector for the 3.1TL's -as the 2 pin din speaker connectors i ordered are not the correct ones.-the connector i have has the blade off center vs. in the middle of the connector.
-ive attached a pic of the connector for reference etc...

Comments

• codycatalist
    Options
    I don't know the part number..maybe polk CS will however if you use pin/blade and have a common ground amp you can just use an rca connection as the pin is what sends the signal between the speakers. You can also go with SpeakOn connections too.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Neither the male or female parts are available from anyone.

Your best option is to use Neutrik SpeakOn connectors. A search here will show many examples.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pxm
    pxm Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you for your response(s) -was trying to keep it as simple as possible by searchig out the original part but you've confirmed my suspicions etc..
    -my mono blocks are grounded bridge ( negative output is common to chasis ground) so i should be good to go with the RCA solution if i go that route.

thank you again for your feedback

-pxm
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's been proposed that since the blade is grounded, only the pin need be connected. An RCA cable will work to connect pin to pin. (E.g.: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143221/my-new-to-me-sda-srs-3-1tl/p1; http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/polk-question-model-srs-31tl.463198/#post-6004063)
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • F1nut
    Options
    The problem with using an RCA pin is it's not a snug fit.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited December 2016
    Options
    pxm wrote: »
    thank you for your response(s) -was trying to keep it as simple as possible by searchig out the original part but you've confirmed my suspicions etc..
    -my mono blocks are grounded bridge ( negative output is common to chasis ground) so i should be good to go with the RCA solution if i go that route.

thank you again for your feedback

-pxm

If you are bridging stereo amps to mono blocks, think twice as that raises the noise floor. Regardless, you will get better sound quality by using the Dreadnought verses the standard SDA cable connection. There is a group buy going on right now, get in on it before 1/3/17.

Link: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/175325/group-buy-16-dreadnought-avel-lindberg-1000va-isolation-transformers#latest

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2017
    Options
    "Grounded Bridge"? Isn't that a Crown patent for a PA/pro amp?

1. If the negative terminal is connected to chassis ground, and this is a monoblock amplifier pair, you still need to strap the two chassis together or it isn't common-ground. I am NOT an Electrical Engineer, but I have a bad feeling about that. My rule-of-thumb is that bridged amps cannot be made common-ground; but that may or may not apply in this case. Be Careful.

2. A typical "RCA cable" has a teeny-tiny conductor, while the OEM SDA cable conductor was either 16 or 18 gauge; and most here prefer still-heavier cable. Seems to me that someone claimed that some interconnect cables actually do use a heavy conductor, but I've forgotten the details. Be Careful.
  • pxm
    Options
    -they are grounded bridge monoblock Crown M600's -i have them rack mounted in the same metal rack so they share a common ground. -i havent had any issues with a ground loop or feedback / hum in the 25 years ive owned them so i havent had the need to isolate one of the ac plug ground prongs yet etc...
    -im going to modify a P type twin blade connector that fit my sda-srs's as they have the same basic pin placement as the 3.1's for starters ...
  • Schurkey
    Options
    pxm wrote: »
    -they are grounded bridge monoblock Crown M600's -i have them rack mounted in the same metal rack so they share a common ground. -i havent had any issues with a ground loop or feedback / hum in the 25 years ive owned them so i havent had the need to isolate one of the ac plug ground prongs yet etc...
    -im going to modify a P type twin blade connector that fit my sda-srs's as they have the same basic pin placement as the 3.1's for starters ...
    The problem is not ground loop/feedback/hum, and the fix isn't to destroy the safety grounding via the AC plug ground prong. That's an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT set of "grounding" problems.

The problem in this case is the effect on sound quality having excessive resistance between the negative terminals of the amplifers creates. 20 ohms between the left and right negative terminals on my stereo amplifier made my 1Bs unlistenable. Other amps, other speakers can cause physical damage to speakers, or amplifier(s), or both. Do yourself a favor, plug an ohmmeter across the negative terminals of your two amplifiers, and report back on the resistance you measure. I bet there's several ohms. Steel is a crappy conductor.

No resistance = good times.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oh boy!

President of Club Polk

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    IMO you'd be better off in the long run to build a Dreadnought using Neutrik connectors as F1Nut has suggested. There's a good chance it'll be yearsss before another 1000VA group buy happens if at all.

However, if it's helpful, I have a pin/blade SDA cable I'm willing to part with for $40 shipped Priority Mail CONUS, Paypal gift. Not sure but I'm guessing it's 20' long.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • pxm
    Options
    -they share a common ground as the resistance was ~ 0 ohms...
    -i have both the sda-srs's and the 3.1tl's interconnected now -quite an improvement...
  • Schurkey
    Options
    Pleased to hear Grounded Bridge amps are usable with SDAs. I wouldn't have guessed that. I'm also surprised that you don't have ~5 ohms resistance between the two amps.

As said, "no resistance = good times."
  • maxd
    maxd Posts: 3
    Options
    New to posting on the forums but reading for a long time. Bought a Polk 3.1 tl today but no interconnect cable. I saw this cable which appears to have the speakon connector already on -https://www.amazon.com/18-Foot-Speaker-Terminated-Connectors/dp/B01DBS1DLC/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517021336&sr=1-23&keywords=Canare+4S11+speakon . Will this be good for an interconnect. I am using a common ground parasound a23 to amplify.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    maxd wrote: »
    New to posting on the forums but reading for a long time. Bought a Polk 3.1 tl today but no interconnect cable. I saw this cable which appears to have the speakon connector already on -https://www.amazon.com/18-Foot-Speaker-Terminated-Connectors/dp/B01DBS1DLC/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517021336&sr=1-23&keywords=Canare+4S11+speakon . Will this be good for an interconnect. I am using a common ground parasound a23 to amplify.

Unless you already have aftermarket Speak-On connectors on your terminal plates, this won't work, obviously.

If you do already have that upgrade, you would need to make sure that the connectors on that cable are compatible with how the connectors are wired on your terminal plates.

If you are planning to upgrade to Speak-On connectors soon, make sure to do plenty of research via related threads on this forum as there are specific requirements necessary as to type of Speak-Ons (number of conductors, airtight characteristics, etc.).

I'm sure others who are more-knowledgeable than I am will chime in.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Pretty much nailed it
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Pretty much nailed it

About others being more-knowledgeable? Yeah, I have come to accept that. :p
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • maxd
    Options
    Thank you very much for that. I was wondering but the explanation was very concise. Found a pin connector on ebay for polk interconnect so will try that as my understanding on the 3.1 tl is that the blade is for support (not function). Then onto any other extensive upgrades. Much appreciated.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    The blade functions when the AI-1 is used. I wouldn't say it's for "support (not function)."

The blade is the ground connection for the AI-1 (or Dreadnought) if the original connectors are used.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The blade is only for support on ALL pin/blade models UNTIL you use non-common ground amps or monobloc amps. Only then does it becomes more than support.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The blade is only for support on ALL pin/blade models UNTIL you use non-common ground amps or monobloc amps. Only then does it becomes more than support.

The blade links the grounds together between both speakers for the SDA effect. That is it's function.

When using a common ground amp the SDA effect still functions without it because they are common ground. The SDA ground has to follow the path threw the speaker cables and amplifier if you are using a cable without the blades connected.

The AI-1 (or Dreadnought) is required to provide the SDA ground path to avoid damage when using a non-common ground or monoblock amplifiers.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• pitdogg2
    Options
  • maxd
    Options
    Ahh got it. I will be using the Parasound A23 which is common ground. But if there is a another Dreadnought buy, may get into it. I am still in the early phases of my audio journey and every 2 years the bug comes to dive deeper..I am hoping to upgrade the srs over time and then determine if I need to get something different..I appreciate all the valuable insights .