Onkyo as 2nd amp

I have been Onkyo Sr607 running at 7.1 with all seven speakers hooked up for the surround-sound. On the 607’s sub woofer output I am running to a Onkyo sr606 with bi amping capability. I plan to run four 10 inch 8 ohm subwoofers, 2 to the front left and right and two to the bi-amp outputs left and right.
My question is would the 606 drive all 4 with equal power? Does it matter if I even use the bi-amp or can I simply use any other channel for that matter?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2018
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. You have one AVR connected to another via the sub out and want to know if you can drive 4 subs with the second AVR?

I'm trying to wrap me head around that, but my instinctive reaction would be no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Gotta use the right tool for the job, and an AVR's amplifier doesn't seem like the right tool to drive subwoofers.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I tend to agree that this wouldn't work.

Since you are looking to just power the subs you don't need a super expensive amplifier(s)...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Without thinking too hard about this:

1) why not use powered subwoofers?
    2) you (the OP) might want to do some Googling/reading about distributed bass applications.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Well.....me thinks not so much.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I don't think it will work, but saying that your home theater has 4 subs might sound cool to your friends. :p
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Even if you can, it doesn’t mean you should. How big is your room? What kind of subs are they, and what type of enclosure?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• I built 4 transmission line speaker boxes for the four Kicker CompVr's.... the room is almost a thousand square feet and plan to put one sub in each corner of the room. Each box is 48 in tall 18 in deep and 12in wide. I built the boxes at the perfect resonating frequency for the subs.
  • That distributed bass thread was very informative. However why was the polarity on one of the subs switched?