SDA2-B Rebuild Complete and First Report

Options
TheChemist
TheChemist Posts: 13
edited January 2018 in Vintage Speakers
I had Westmassguy rebuild my SDA2-B crossovers and make me a new interconnect. Here is what it cost:
Option #4 with TL mod
New Boards
New inductors
Cardas posts
Interconnect
I get
Add BH5 and for some Dynamat Extreme.
I placed a 4" x 10" piece of BH5 under each driver and Dynamatted each driver and radiator basket. I did not do the ring thing as the guy wouldn't respond to my PM's so reused the gaskets which were good. New tweets off eBay. Followed Davids instructions on placement and fixing of the polyester batting in the cabinet. I would like to post some pics, but Hunt101.com won't let me upload to my file. :(

I have the following:
CAL Delta CD transport using the AT&T to feed a
Krell Stealth D/A using Audioquest Diamond balanced interconnects to a
Krell KSL pre-amp sending the music through AQ Diamond balanced interconnects to a
Forte Model 4 amp again using Audioquest Sterling cables to the Polks.

Now...I turned everything on and waited 20 minutes for warm-up, during which I used a tape measure to make sure speakers were in the same plane, same distance from wall and me from them. Phew!
I place Three Dog Nights' "Easy to Be Hard" in and sat back...I went on to play another hours worth of various songs off various albums. Roberta Flacks "The First Time Ever.." is just plain breathtaking.

I telephoned David to tell him that I had no words that would adequately describe how I felt about how beautiful my stereo sounded. I DO know that I had problems in the crossover in the right speaker, which is why I had him build me a set, so I cannot state everyone will be blown away by new electronics from DHS Speaker Service, but I think you may.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TheChemist wrote: »
    I had Westmassguy rebuild my SDA2-B crossovers and make me a new interconnect. Here is what it cost:
    Option #4 with TL mod
    New Boards
    New inductors
    Cardas posts
    Interconnect
    I get
    Add BH5 and another some Dynamat Extreme.
    I placed a 4" x 10" piece of BH5 under each driver and Dynamatted each driver and radiator basket. I did not do the ring thing as the guy wouldn't respond to my PM's so reused the gaskets which were good. New tweets off eBay. Followed Davids instructions on placement and fixing of the polyester batting in the cabinet. I would like to post some pics, but Hunt101.com won't let me upload to my file. :(

I have the following:
    Krell KSL pre-amp sending the music through AQ Diamond balanced interconnects to a

Now...I turned everything on and waited 20 minutes for warm-up, during which I used a tape measure to make sure speakers were in the same plane, same distance from wall and me from them. Phew!
    I place Three Dog Nights' "Easy to Be Hard" in and sat back...I went on to play another hours worth of various songs off various albums. Roberta Flacks "The First Time Ever.." is just plain breathtaking.

I telephoned David to tell him that I had no words that would adequately describe how I felt about how beautiful my stereo sounded. I DO know that I had problems in the crossover in the right speaker, which is why I had him build me a set, so I cannot state everyone will be blown away by new electronics from DHS Speaker Service, but I think you may.

Nice job!!! Post some pics!!! David is doing my 1C currently. In the meantime I’m getting the cabinet mods in place. Can’t wait!!!
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    David's a hack, but he's our hack and we love him ;)

Congrats on your system, nothing better than some really good tunes
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TheChemist
    Options
    You know what really made tears come to my eyes? In Easy to Be Hard, someone is snapping their fingers to counterpoint Floyd Sneeds' beat. I had NEVER heard that before. When Jimi plays The Wind Cries Mary off the Voodoo Child album you can hear the pick touch the strings of his guitar a couple of times when it got a little too close.
    I have a single-mike'ed recording of Chopin that at the very end, as the mechanism that quiets the strings does so, I could hear the felts on the strings; truly hair raising. And hell, this isn't even a class A system. Yet.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    I approve of your 2BTL and Krell KSL combo. :)

Enjoy the music.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    David's a hack, but he's our hack and we love him ;)

Congrats on your system, nothing better than some really good tunes
    I resemble that remark ya rat bastage
    TheChemist wrote: »
    Option #4 with TL mod
    New Boards
    New inductors
    Cardas posts
    Interconnect
    I get
    Add BH5 and for some Dynamat Extreme.

I have the following:

Was my pleasure Roger. Just remember 200-300 hours burn-n, before they really settle in.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/