Looking for a new amp.

My Adcom GFA-555 right channel has died and looking for a new amp. Will be powering a pair of LSi15’s with a Schiit Freya as a pre amp and Yggdrasil as Dac and a cheap turntable. I had a pair of Schiit Vidars on order but after a month did not ship so cancelled the order. I’ve got about $1500 to spend on the amp. Can’t be bigger than the Adcom as I have to take apart my table to get it out. I would like something on the warm side as Freya is a bit on the bright side but still looking at tube rolling just haven’t had the time .

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Shame about the production delays on the Vidars. I just checked their site and they're still quoting 10-15 days before shipping. I guess they continued taking orders during the delay and now they're probably back ordered. Too bad, as they would match aesthetically (and maybe audibly) with the other Schiit gear that you already have.

Since your budget is pretty high, you might consider getting the amp serviced and upgraded from Big Sky Audio: http://bigskyaudiomt.com/index.php?pr=Audio

Even after the full upgrade cost of $549 plus shipping both ways, you'd still be coming in well under budget, and giving new life to an amplifier that you're already familiar and (hopefully) happy with. Just something to consider.

A well cared for used B&K might give you that warmth that you're looking for. I'll have to defer to others for used amp suggestions that have a warm tonal quality, as this isn't an area that I know a ton about.

Regarding the Freya and tubes, keep us updated on what direction you end up going in! I just recently purchased the Saga and I'm starting a small collection of 6SN7 tubes myself.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Used NAD M series?? Might take a little hunting to find one in your price range. Or one of their big boy Power Envelope amps... They should be the warm sound you're looking for.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Order the Aleph in the flea market.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Buke9
    Buke9 Posts: 31
    Thanks for the replies. Nad is definitely on my list. Fixing the Adcom is a option hadn’t considered thanks for that and upgrading it in the process is also interesting.The Aleph looks like everyone loves it . Haven’t had much experience with power amps as mostly before just used receivers so this helps me get a idea of what is out there to look for. I’ve been more into headphones as of late so haven’t spent much time looking at 2ch stuff and all the decent shops have moved out and all we have is Best Buy Magnolia. If I find some smoother tubes for the Freya I’ll pass that on to you there is a pretty good discussion on Head-Fi on rolling the Freya.
    Thanks again.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Consider Big Sky audio in Montana. SteveB had his Adcom 585 "warmed over" there. Had raved to me many times "$ well spent!"
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• Buke9
    Someone has suggested Big Sky and that is for sure a option .
    Heard McCormack amps mentioned on another forum and yours looks to be in great condition as I’m not opposed to getting used as the Adcom was used.
    Have also been looking at some B&K amps as some are touting them to have a tube like sound and that is somewhat appealing to me . Have also found Stratos amp by Odyssey that also looks good but would take all the budget.
    Really appreciate the suggestions from all on this and anyone else feel free to add some more.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited January 2018
    I'd take a serious look at the Usher that's currently for sale in the flea market. Marvin is a good guy, and, got a feeling it won't hang around too long. You hardly ever see them come up for sale.
  • Buke9
    Thanks will have a look see.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I'm taking a HARD look at the Parasound 2250v2. My HCA-1500 is 15+yrs old now.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2018
    dhart86 wrote: »

Just IMO, for $770 you will be hard pressed to find a better amplifier than this one, and it's pretested by a long-time Polkie to not have any issues. I wouldn't call it warm, but it's not bright or clinical either, it's what Goldilocks referred to as "just right". Far under your budget, but better than any new amp you're going to get for $1500, again, in my humble opinion.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    dhart86 wrote: »

Just IMO, for $770 you will be hard pressed to find a better amplifier than this one, and it's pretested by a long-time Polkie to not have any issues. I wouldn't call it warm, but it's not bright or clinical either, it's what Goldilocks referred to as "just right". Far under your budget, but better than any new amp you're going to get for $1500, again, in my humble opinion.

I would have to agree and....thank you Mr. Buhl,
    however MY McCormack is no longer available
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    My pass Aleph would be a fine choice.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I’m getting ready to sell a Plinius 9100.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited February 2018
    I have a brand new Parasound 2250v2 275watt (8ohms) that I'm considering selling. Bought it a little quick, and then the Parasound Halo 21's went on sale. Would consider ~$900 + shipping +/-... haven't even cracked the box on this black unit. List is close to $1400, and AA was selling around $1k.

If interested at all... PM me and let's see what we can work out as far as price + shipping. Again the amp hasn't even been taken out of the box, powered up. Recent purchase.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom