Petition for support of Larry, David and Hermitism....

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    shawn474 wrote: »
    But @teekay0007 hit the nail on the head...

Yeah...well, chicks do dig me! B)

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    dromunds wrote: »
    An old guy told me a long time ago: "Think before you speak." A different old guy told me at one of my first jobs, "Wait a while before you send a response and think about it again before it goes out to make sure its really what you want to say and not just a quick emotional reaction to something that got under your skin." This advice applies to forums. It's also kinda akin to what TNTsTunes said, "self moderation." Discretion is the best part of valor.

Agreed.

Respect of the rules and other members opinions goes a long way. Debates can be civil and respectful. That is all on it's participants.

Social media like twitter, facebook and other sites have had a negative effect on people and how they act online. Social norms have changed and it isn't for the better.

Being the better man or woman goes a long way and it says something about you too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Social media like twitter, facebook and other sites have had a negative effect on people and how they act online. Social norms have changed and it isn't for the better.

Being the better man or woman goes a long way and it says something about you too.

THIS AGREED ^^^^^^ 100%

We all have received flack on here from time to time.

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    tonyb wrote: »
    TIM,

I get that mods can't be on at all times. Ya know though, with todays technology we can figure out the traffic times to online forums and adjust moderation to fit those times. Whats the point of having moderation at 3 a.m. when traffic is low, right ? Only F1NUT is around at that time anyway. :) You get my point though, I think we can have better mod. coverage if we adjust to traffic on the forum. Does that make sense to anyone ?

Not all sites are alike.

At the site I moderate a mods job isn't all about clean up, it's about letting members know when they cross the line and notifying them about it with a warning or a PM. Members usually get more then two strikes, some warning points that are issued expire. Some members require more correction and some are beyond help. It is a site that is paid for by advertising which is a totally different world. We have had to make adjustments due to the changes that other social media sites have effected people to continue growth. That requires intensive administration by the site owner.

This site is different, it has a definite line in the sand you don't want to cross and judging by the rules that were posted in a link earlier we are basically expected to moderate ourselves by thinking before we post.

The problem comes in when new members "don't get it" and older members forget.

I would be willing to help out anyway I could, I for one would like to see this site grow and prosper.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    TIM,

I get that mods can't be on at all times. Ya know though, with todays technology we can figure out the traffic times to online forums and adjust moderation to fit those times. Whats the point of having moderation at 3 a.m. when traffic is low, right ? Only F1NUT is around at that time anyway. :) You get my point though, I think we can have better mod. coverage if we adjust to traffic on the forum. Does that make sense to anyone ?

Not all sites are alike.

At the site I moderate a mods job isn't all about clean up, it's about letting members know when they cross the line and notifying them about it with a warning or a PM. Members usually get more then two strikes, some warning points that are issued expire. Some members require more correction and some are beyond help. It is a site that is paid for by advertising which is a totally different world. We have had to make adjustments due to the changes that other social media sites have effected people to continue growth. That requires intensive administration by the site owner.

This site is different, it has a definite line in the sand you don't want to cross and judging by the rules that were posted in a link earlier we are basically expected to moderate ourselves by thinking before we post.

The problem comes in when new members "don't get it" and older members forget.

I would be willing to help out anyway I could, I for one would like to see this site grow and prosper.

Agree with most of that Tim. I'm still a little fuzzy on where exactly that line in the sand is though. There is no replacement for exercising good judgement when posting, but from where I sit, it seems everything is offensive these days to one person/group or another. How much leeway, exactly, is there in such things ? We don't know that because it's at the discretion of the site owners, Polk, and that can change too at any time given who moderates and who has certain tolerances. Intensive administration, as you pointed out, is more my line of thinking.

That's life though, comes with the privilege given on participation in their forum. My concern is, how can we do a better job at avoiding these issues. Maybe that's a question best left to Polk to figure out.

There are general audio forums, and specific brand audio forums, like Polk. Needs are different....specific brand forums are there to promote the brand, offer support, troubleshoot and create buzz about new products. Above all....you protect the brand name.

A moderator on a specific brand forum is there to do those things. It is in their best interest, and the brands, to keep the negative chatter low, unwarranted behavior absent, from reaching any ears or eyes of the executives. You know, those guys who make decisions on whether a forum is worth the dedicated resources/jobs.

The best way to do that....is debatable, I gave my opinion on it already. Only Polk as the site owner can decide the path forward. However, leaving the inmates to govern themselves doesn't seem like a logical answer to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Looks like the yay’s aren’t working. :'(
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    Nope, the powers that be are not going to be swayed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Larry, being a man of his word, likely won’t be back.

Sad times.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    Not climbing out of anything today, messed up my back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »

:#:# suux get well soon
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Don’t forget la2vegas. Not sure what he did, but based on how this site has gone since dumbing down with Vanilla it probably was nothing.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Thanks Jesse. Hope all 3 return.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

:( Sorry to hear that, ol' son.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2018
    Moderation should not ever interfere with the membership at large.

Unless there is dissension within the ranks.

IMO, I see what is clear here. Mr. S (a fair and unbiased moderator) is caught between a rock and a hard place. This is somewhere where he should NEVER be placed. Polk should recognize this and plan accordingly.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305

Sucks to get old...

Agreed, but it’s better than the alternative :wink:
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Larry asked me to inform you knuckleheads that he will be back and thanks you for your support.

I wish I could get ahold of the other guys, but I don't know how. If anyone does, please contact them.

9bba3w2slbue.gif
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    It's good to hear that these are temp bans and that Larry (and hopefully the others) will return. I have had direct interaction with all 3 of these members on a humorous level and although I know that isn't what this website is mainly about, that goes a long way in my book.

Plus, my 2.3TL's have recently been treated to a new set of Larry's rings. His creations are an invaluable asset to this website.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    30 days in the hole!? Psssshhh. Come back swingin!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited January 2018
    deronb1 wrote: »
    30 days in the hole!?
    Black Nepalese will make you weak in the knees....and so will Larry's spiked heels. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Perhaps members should hold an anti lawsuit. Getting hurt over getting hurt over getting hurt. Eventually, everyone is hurt and the entire thing folds in upon itself over nothing.

OR, everyone can get along. The ranks get a grip and take a real hold of the situation. Life goes on.

Proper moderation is key. Those that are in the know? Take a look. If one does not know where to take a look? Awe dang.

Ken S................(hint)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Over there Tom it's over there.
    Nope wait over here Tom it's over here
    Nope wait......
This discussion has been closed.