Feels like Christmas at the Stangman household! Focals and Rhumba are here!

I drove 300 miles today and went and picked up the Focal Aria 926s in PA and met Andy in Delaware to pick up the Backert Labs Rhumba. My new to me B&K ST125.2 arrived today as well, it is fairly beat up but seems to work well enough. The B&K is a stopgap until I get something else. The speakers are an interesting story, only the Walnut version was on sale so I bought a set of those. Focal delayed the shipment to the dealer twice and the dealer told Focal that it was not acceptable and convinced them to sell a set of black piano gloss to me for the same sale price. I am not certainly complaining, tremendous customer service by Ken at World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, PA.

Got everything set in place and wired up in about an hour. I am going to reserve judgement on everything until the speakers/pre/tubes get adequate break in time. Going to play music pretty much constantly this weekend to facilitate break in. I will say that I am already floored by the results though. I ordered a set of RCA 12AU7 cleartops to replace the stock JJ's at the advice of Andy from Backert.

Anyway, a few pictures

XMkEuCF.jpg

AXqIs3q.jpg

GHkTnRM.jpg

Dpmou1g.jpg
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    very nice. congrats
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    That gloss black looks sweet, matches your equipment rack!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    They do make a black one, just not available at the sale price as there were the last 1.1 units available. I'm not super OCD about component color matching or anything to the silver doesn't bother me

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    The fact that it's silver vs all the other black components, and that it's centered on the rack, actually draws your eye to it and signifies it's importance as the statement piece of the system, imo. Looks awesome.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    They do make a black one, just not available at the sale price as there were the last 1.1 units available. I'm not super OCD about component color matching or anything to the silver doesn't bother me

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    nice rig... congrats
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I used to have the exact same VTI equipment rack in the same color combination as you.

Don't count out the B&K ST125.2, it's a very capable amp with a pretty sweet sound signature. I thoroughly enjoyed the one I had for quite a while.

Ya, that Backert guy is pretty cool! He did the mods on my McCormack DNA-125 amp!

It looks to me like you have a really well balanced setup. The tubes & the B&K will add a little warmth to compliment the revealing nature of the Focal speakers. Enjoy!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Nice very nice now sit back and enjoy.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Very nice system.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Looks awesome and bet it sounds great but where's the Rhumba... (j/k)

zg4n4flqb39a.jpg
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats and enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • stangman67
    Thanks everybody! I am super excited, cannot wait to really get everything broken in and setup properly. Really impressed with the combo so far

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Turn it up! Skinnert! Play sone Skinnert!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    nice!! Hell that's sexy!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Lookin' good bro. The Focals will mellow out some with a little time on them and the new tubes for the pre should give you a bit more tone and air. Nice job man, enjoy.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Big thumbs up. Enjoy the music today Zach! B)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Very nice. The gloss black finish on the speakers looks better in that setting than the walnut finish would.
  • stangman67
    Already have about 12 hours play time so far. I can certainly tell that the new setup is way more revealing. Poor recordings are very much exposed, which I was expecting. Initial impressions are that the components really do compliment each other well. These speakers certainly don’t represent the reported Focal brightness. The tubes most certainly thinly help with that aspect though

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What you playing? Got Shangri La CD?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice Setup Zach! Rock On!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • stangman67
    edited January 2018
    Nope. I’ve been listening to a lot of my go to bands, Pink Floyd, lots and lots of Genesis, mike and the mechanics, yes, and daft punk! Daft punk is pretty polarizing but I love it and these speakers really keep up with the bass. Big difference from the 703’s

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I'd like to hear "Genesis Tonight, Tonight, Tonight on your setup B) or I Can't Dance.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • stangman67
    The remastered genesis stuff sounds pretty damn good, a lot of the original stuff not so much, I really would like to get my hands on some original genesis vinyl. Although that would require me to buy a turntable

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Me likey!

Maybe one day I can join you with a Focal?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    Perhaps, they certainly make a nice speaker.

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2018
    But I would drive 300 miles
    And I would drive 300 more
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • stangman67
    I received the "conn" branded RCA clear top 12AU7's today and I could tell instantly that they were not a good match for my setup. They made my rig way too aggressive on top, almost to the point of being shrill at times. I was afraig that clear tops paired with the focals wouldn't be a great match so I am not surprised. I'm going to give them a few days to break in but I imagine they will not change enough, they are almost unlistenable as is IMO. The stock JJ's just work better with the focals. I am looking for a tube with good bottom end and is a little darker up top, anyone have any suggestions? I texted andy real quick and he recommended I try the PSVANE 12au7's next so I may go that route.