6sn7 single/individual tubes

2»

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,429
    I just took some photos of the actual tube for you since it looks a little different than the picture shown on the website. If you look closely at the last pic, you can see that it looks like the inside of the glass is scratched/etched presumably from the assembly of sliding the metal edge of the tower into the tube.

coog6zdk7unj.jpg
    bxiunfxs5qee.jpg
    fq7fosaslajb.jpg

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That Soviet-era 6H8C is an intriguing tube with which I am not terribly familiar.

:)

Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,780
    See that saucer getter at the bottom? Every Russian tube will have that style from my experience. So down the road when someone tries to sell you a tube from say Mullard and say it's from blackburn plant and it has a saucer you will know to walk away.
    What part are you looking at specifically to see the "saucer getter" at the bottom?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    See that saucer getter at the bottom? Every Russian tube will have that style from my experience. So down the road when someone tries to sell you a tube from say Mullard and say it's from blackburn plant and it has a saucer you will know to walk away.

• I’m guessing this one.wv92ijy4aatk.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Fully modded with dreadnought.2.3tl's and 3.1tl's
    McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Rogue Magnum 66
    Marantz HD-DAC 1
    Marantz UD 7007
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers
    Home theater
    Marantz SR 5009 Sunfire Signature 425x5-B&W Cdm1nt Cdm Center Channel-Rel Strata iii sub
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,480
    I'm confused. Do those things have snow in them when you shake them?
    edited December 2017
    Got it! Thanks so much for pointing that out, appreciate it.
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    I’m guessing this one.

I'm about to shake YOU around and see if snow comes out.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I'm confused. Do those things have snow in them when you shake them?

Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm about to shake YOU around and see if snow comes out.
    Temper, temper. And why do you quote people backwards? :p
    edited December 2017
    I'm not doing it backwards, you are. ;)
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Temper, temper. And why do you quote people backwards? :p

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,780
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    I’m guessing this one.wv92ijy4aatk.jpeg

Yes correct. It's known as UFO or Saucer getter.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 16,077
    edited December 2017
    Yup. The getter "gets" residual gases and volatile materials left over from manufacturing of the tube, to insure the "hardest" possible vacuum (both for the brand-new tube and over the life of the tube). The little electrons very much appreciate not havin' to bump into other things as they're going about their work, traveling from cathode to plate whilst gettin', shall we say, influenced by the grid.

The thing is, anything that is floatin' around within the tube can interact with the electron stream(s) in the tube and slow the electrons down and/or knock 'em off course. The getter's job is to get rid of as much of that flotsam (or is it jetsam?) as possible. At the very high vacuum levels inside of a tube, things that we don't normally think of as volatile are volatile! Thus the persistent need for the getter throughout the life of the tube.

We are used to seeing so-called "flashed getters" in many tubes. This is that silvery coating, somewhere on the glass, of barium metal that's deposited (evaporated) onto the glass during the manufacturing process. The flashed getters are useful 'vacuum indicators' -- if air gets into a tube, the silvery looking barium is converted to powdery white barium oxide (and the tube's kaput). :(

I don't know if the saucer in the Rooskie tube is the getter, or if it held the getter material during manufacture. My guess is the former, as the tube(s) in the pictures above don't seem to have a flashed getter(?).

stuff about getters.
    http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/Getter_Material.pdf

wv92ijy4aatk.jpeg

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

ol' Marky the Inexcusably Slothlike finally made the trek all the way down the cellar stairs to check the plinker graveyard.

Here's one I would offer up* if the OP'd like it. A used Sylvania 6SN7GTB. A tall drink o' water, as my father would've said. Checks good for emissions, grid leakage and shorts (i.e., no grid leakage nor shorts!) on my hand-me-down Mighty-Mite III :) (no more, and no less, than a simple but dependable emissions-type tester)

I will use test it anon & send a PM to the OP -- but I wanted to share a coupla photos for... posterity. :|

24506449367_eaaa1ca0c1_b.jpgDSC_0217 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24506449997_61c8c26ac9_b.jpgDSC_0214 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    38493318555_6db8f6b48c_b.jpgDSC_0213 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I will use test it anon & send a PM to the OP -- but I wanted to share a coupla photos for... posterity. :|

Wow! She's a beauty. :p

Oh hell yes. Excitement level rising!

PMing you :)
    edited January 23
    Few pics of the tubes that have been generously given to me for free by fellow Polkies.

First up is a pair of Silvertone tubes from @voltz . Love the writing on the base: "We guarantee this tube to give perfect satisfaction for one year. Sears Roebuck and Co."
    bx3r3h4zjakt.jpg
    1mv67t04c3cp.jpg
    tdwurifq8muq.jpg

Next up is a Sylvania tube from @mhardy6647 - look at how much taller it is than the Silvertones! Also, you can see that the tube part leaves the base at an angle. It's slightly crooked, which gives it immense character and uniqueness. :wink:
    jur4t44kg6a5.jpg
    c3ng776k0qhb.jpg

Thanks to both of you, I really owe you guys one!
    You are welcome (of course) :)
    Have fun!

2»