LsiM question....

Options
I purchased the lsim703’s in the flea market from Zach. I am replacing lsi9’s. I will still be using my LsiC and LsiFx’s in a 5.1 system with my svs cylinder. Does anyone know how the 703’s will mesh with the other speakers. Realizing that my setup with the 9’s was “timbre matched” I am trying to see if there will be a noticeable difference with the new setup to prepare myself. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this setup or similar?
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Congrats Shawn! Knowing you, I'm thinking you'll eventually be upgrading your center and surrounds when a deal pops up. I don't know how the timbre compares between the two series, but my guess is you'll hear a difference, but the non-audiophiles in your life won't! ;)
    Enjoy your new speaks?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I bet you will not notice any issues. They are very closely matched and similar sounding speakers. I’m sure you would gain SQ by upgrading the center eventually, but again, I’m guessing your experience won’t be ruined by going from the 9’s to the 703’s.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Shawn,

Since both the older LSi’s and the newer LSiM’s both use the ring radiator tweeters, they are timbre matches pretty well. I have the opposite of you in my HT. I have an LSiM-704C and LSi-7’s for my front three. I also have an LSi-C and have swapped it in. Both sound great, and match as far as my ears can tell. I decided to keep the LSiM center in because it is a little beefier (with an extra midrange) and I bought it new. Don’t think it would sound bad keeping what you’ll have, but If you’re OCD like me, you’ll know that they are different series.

BTW, when I bought the LSiM-704, I actually called Polk and they reassured me the two series would match each other.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cool, thanks man. I actually just got home from my weekend trip and met Zach on the way home. Swapped out the 9’s for the 703’s.

A couple observations:
    1. I forgot how heavy the 9’s were. They are monsters. And I must admit I was a little sad that they were leaving the rig.

2. The fit and finish of the 703’s are stunning. The magnetic grills and the beautiful cherry finish with the brushed steel back plate.....they’re just plain sexy.

3. I have agreed to purchase MrBuhl’s 706c so I can’t wait to get that added. Because I am somewhat ocd, I wanted the front stage to be timbre matched, although listening now I can’t say that I noticed anything out of the ordinary.

So all in all, I am very happy with the “upgrade”. Never really felt the need to upgrade my speakers but when these deals come up, I am curious to try. And in my agreement with the wife I have to move gear to get gear. I don’t anticipate regretting it, but the Lsi9’s sure are a high performing speaker.

Shawn
    Shawn
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2018
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Lol, Shawn! I guess it's a moot point now... Can I say I told you so?! You're gonna enjoy this. I was already thinking about some LSiMs. You're just making me think about them more! Be sure to post your impressions once they're all dialed in. Enjoy!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    I did have to recalibrate the speakers. It turned out that I had to increase the channel level 2.0 for the left and 2.5 to the right to get it dialed in. Listening to the football game sounds great, but it did with the 9’s too. These LsiM’s are stunning though......so much so that my wife said she actually liked these speakers (which are words that have never been spoken by her in over 25 years).
    Shawn
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I am glad you are enjoying them so far! I am sure happy to see them stay in the polk family and go to someone who will appreciate them.

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    Congrats! I think the 703's and 706 are fantastic. I, too, loved the 9's, but the 703 are simply better in every way. The 706 is much better than the LSiC IMO.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden