Focal Kanta 2 - a warmer Focal

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,518
edited January 2018 in Speakers
So we had another local audio get together last week, on the menu this week was the Focal Kanta 2.

The Focal Kanta 2 is a new speaker from the french manufacturer. More details can be found online, it was just debut'd last RMAF with great reception and rave reviews.

But basically, the Kanta learns from the Sopra and takes drivers from the Aria speaker line. It has a beryllium tweeter with boron surround and into a infinite horn loading rear module, a 6.5" flax midrange, and a dual 6.5" woofer. The Kanta 2 has dual ports, one in the front and one in the back.

The cabinet has no parallel walls. The baffle is made of a thick polymer, no longer MDF.

SOUND:
The typical sound of Focal is detail, bright, and zing... atleast to me. My friend has the Focal 1038Be and it's one of the hallmarks of the sound. Nothing wrong with that, but while it can be impressive on first listen, sometimes it might get tiring over time (as is what he told me now that he has owned it for a couple years).

But this Kanta 2 was very different. It still has that Focal trademark, but it was definitely leaning warmer. Perhaps it was the flax drivers making it sound more natural like paper.... or perhaps it was the way the tweeter is voiced in this new speaker line. The detail was all there, I did not detect anything was particularly amiss with this sound aspect. And it didn't require a bright treble to make those details known.

The midrange sounded natural but with detail, a piano sounded realistic, and the voices sounded smooth and believable. The bass was fantastic, could not believe this was coming from only 2x 6.5" woofers, it was really loading the 14x18 room without trouble, off an integrated amplifier.

I guess what most people would wonder remains the real question, was it bright?

That answer is it depends.

It depends on the source.

But no, it was not bright in a sense was it a klipsch.... it's not bright in general because the midrange and down was natural. The only trouble would be in the highest of frequencies. When we had the Kanta 2 connected to bluesound node 2 streamer with Tidal, the group didn't really sit down to listen, everyone was talking and drinking wine.

When we switched the source to an Esoteric K03x, people started to take notice and sit down and listen. The edge of frequency brightness was lessened, and things started to sound more balanced.

When we switched to another source and used the Esoteric K03x as transport into the Emm Labs DAC2x DAC, then it really came to life. Everyone enjoyed the sound, even the guys with the Wilsons.

Conclusion:
What really did it for me with the Kanta 2 was how close the sound was to what I had at home with MINIMAL effort. I like the vocalist to be dead center, standing infront of the rack and with some energy directed towards me, I want the singer's and the soundstage height to be just right at approx 4-6 feet (I believe part of this is the fact the tweeter is mid/upper baffle in location with a midrange woofer just above it which controls the vertical dispersion/lobing)... aren't you guys tired of having a sound stage or singer that is 7 or 8 feet tall to the point where you're looking up and you have this VOID of sound from the midhalf of the speaker's vertical plane on down? The speakers did not disappear as well as my system at home does, but this was a minimally tweaked system. I have spent tons of time to control the vertical dispersion from the ceiling to the listening position, to control the lateral first reflections, to control the bass with bass traps... but this speaker in this room with no ceiling traps (though has first reflections and front wall covered with 2" traps) did pretty much everything right for me.

It's particularly a good feeling when the singer's voice feels like it is coming from the ground on up, you feel like this energy in the form of a geiser....

No, it's not the speaker for everyone. Some may still prefer a less bright speaker in general. Some may prefer something even warmer.

But to me, I thought the Focal Kanta 2 was a winner. Take the time to pair it with the best upstreams, perhaps a tube preamp, and a great amp... and a great source, and cables.... and this can definitely be enough to your last speaker if the sound is to your liking.

For me, I think it is a special speaker. It had just enough warmth, the tweeter was less in your face than previous Focals, the bass was very good and clean and articulate.

The best part? It was resolute enough to discern between all 3 sources.

But THAT'S for another day...

SYSTEM:
Focal Kanta 2 speakers
Audioquest OAK speaker wire
Audioquest Wind RCA
Mark Levinson No 585 Integrated
Sources were Bluesound node 2 vs Esoteric K03x vs Emm Labs Dac2x
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• Joey_V
    Options
    98gi57dctceb.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks Joey V. The look and sound profile of Focals, especially Sopra 2's are interesting. Now, so is the Kanta.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The dealer was very impressed with the Kanta 2. A newer warmer sound than the Sopra 2. I did not get to hear the Sopra 2.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Was that over at Albert's place?

No, Albert has the big ones.

This was over at Clay's place.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Bottomline:

Not as warm as Sonus Faber Olympica 3.
    More slam and more accurate bass than Sonus Faber Olympica 3.
    Treble still called to itself at times. With lesser sources, it was bright.
    Easier to place in a room than 802D3.
    Vertical dispersion is controlled, no need to treat ceilings.
    Midrange was quite natural.
    Revealing of upstreams.
    Can sound thin, but I wonder if this is a baseline sound or a function of upstreams.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Thanks for the review, Joey!

Do you find that your Olympica 3's suffer from vocals/soundstage being too high?

That No 585 Integrated is one heck of a piece of equipment.

How do you think the Kanta would respond to something like the RA1592?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    That big bad Mark Levinson integrated is once nice piece! I haven’t listened to it on Focals but did hear it with some Neat speakers, it was a nice combo.

I went and had a listened to the Kanta, and honestly I thought it sounded so close to the Aria I didn’t feel it was worth the upgrade. Especially the huge price gap between the two.

I’m going to repeat myself AGAIN... Focals need to be on tubes! It takes away any of their short comings (thin sounding, and hot tweeter).

Sounds like a fun night Joey. The No2 are sweeeet! And the 3 is a lot better, but are quite a bit larger. The sopra 3 had so much energy and bass slam that it almost startled me with their dynamic capabilities. Right In your face!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I think as good as the Levinson was, it would get smoked by the Cary 05 and Boulder 2060 combo. Plus the WELs.

Frank - no, the O3 does not image high.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I will post about the esoteric and emm labs comparison shortly. THAT'S even more interesting.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    That big bad Mark Levinson integrated is once nice piece! I haven’t listened to it on Focals but did hear it with some Neat speakers, it was a nice combo.

I went and had a listened to the Kanta, and honestly I thought it sounded so close to the Aria I didn’t feel it was worth the upgrade. Especially the huge price gap between the two.

I’m going to repeat myself AGAIN... Focals need to be on tubes! It takes away any of their short comings (thin sounding, and hot tweeter).

Sounds like a fun night Joey. The No2 are sweeeet! And the 3 is a lot better, but are quite a bit larger. The sopra 3 had so much energy and bass slam that it almost startled me with their dynamic capabilities. Right In your face!

I have heard the Aria but not with the same level gear as that night.

You might be right that the overall tone is similar, but I believe this thing scales quite well.

Emm on the kanta 2 was just plain great. I have heard several great speakers but none at 10,000$ that left an impression on me like that night.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Thanks for the review, Joey!

Do you find that your Olympica 3's suffer from vocals/soundstage being too high?

That No 585 Integrated is one heck of a piece of equipment.

How do you think the Kanta would respond to something like the RA1592?

I think based on my direct comparison of 1592 integrated and my boulder set up, it would be likely nearly decent to subpar. Probably would not be the greatest match.

As good as the 1592 is, the kanta deserves something along the warmer side of neutral.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    Man, reviews like this make me really want to get my ears on some of these Focal floorstanding models. How would you guys compare something like this to a pair of 1.2tls?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I have heard the Aria but not with the same level gear as that night.

You might be right that the overall tone is similar, but I believe this thing scales quite well.

Emm on the kanta 2 was just plain great. I have heard several great speakers but none at 10,000$ that left an impression on me like that night.

Ya know Joey it could have been the associated gear that day, and the fact I didn’t spend enough time with them, but I didn’t walk away thinking I heard a bad **** 10g speaker. Not to mention if I’m paying 10g for a speaker, at least give me a real wood veneer, instead of that cheap vinyl wood thing. The build is nice... but for 10 grand it was... meh. I’ll go back and have another listen, it could have been my mood that day as well.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Is the side vinyl? That’s sad

Definitely could be the gear. I think it was meh until I placed my dac into it.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I just checked with the dealer

The sides are not vinyl, they are either gloss black paint or walnut veneer.

There is glass on top.

The baffle is a polymer unit that is used to avoid driver movement or vibration.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Yea it looks like it is indeed Veneer which shouldn't really ever been in question on such an expensive speaker. I listened to a pair of Kanta 2's yesterday briefly at a dealer and they sounded fantastic. Not worth the 3x price difference over the arias though IMO
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What were upstreams?

I heard the kantas sound meh and heard them sound fantastic. The speaker is revealing of the stuff behind it.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Yea it looks like it is indeed Veneer which shouldn't really ever been in question on such an expensive speaker. I listened to a pair of Kanta 2's yesterday briefly at a dealer and they sounded fantastic. Not worth the 3x price difference over the arias though IMO

The arias must be very good. I would bet they are 70% the kantas.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I just checked with the dealer

The sides are not vinyl, they are either gloss black paint or walnut veneer.

There is glass on top.

The baffle is a polymer unit that is used to avoid driver movement or vibration.

It’s vinyl. The dealer is wrong. I’ve touched them with my own hands, and my dealer also said yes they are vinyl fake wood finishes, obviously for the ones that aren’t painted finishes.

I listened to them with a Hegel H360 integrated.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have always loved Focal speed of bass and mids but long listening, the top would be too much for me. This line sounds like they have a winner on their hands.

I know speed is a strange term to use but thats the best way i can describe them. The bass and mids on several lines i have heard were soooo. Fast, quick, sharp.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Focal's spec sheet for the Kanta 2 says the cabinet finishes are either high gloss black or wood veneer, not vinyl:

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/kanta-no-2_specification-sheet.pdf

Of course, the finish and curved form shaping of the wood veneer may feel like it's a vinyl wrap. Personally, I don't find the walnut finish appealing with the high density baffle being a solid form and color.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I’m disappointed to hear the shortcomings of the tweeter continue on up the line of Focals. I’ve found the metal tweeter to be a little brighter than I like. I hadn’t heard anything higher up than the old Electra line though. I’d like to have some focal bookshelves for a two channel only system but it doesn’t sound like they’re blowing anyone’s mind.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Focal's spec sheet for the Kanta 2 says the cabinet finishes are either high gloss black or wood veneer, not vinyl:

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/kanta-no-2_specification-sheet.pdf

Of course, the finish and curved form shaping of the wood veneer may feel like it's a vinyl wrap. Personally, I don't find the walnut finish appealing with the high density baffle being a solid form and color.

Yeah Just read that. Weird. I have the vinyl finish on my Aria center and it was almost identical in appearance to the Kantas finish. My dealer also said it was vinyl. But I agree the walnut is ugly. Personally I think the Kanta is hideous haha
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• stangman67
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "shortcomings of the tweeter".

And Joey I honestly cannot remember the amplifier brand, it was a high dollar tube amp/preamp setup though. The source was a 5000 Aurender streamer. I really did'nt listen enough to quantify the differences, which is why I didn't go into detail. Just saying off the bat the differences didn't seem to justify the price difference against some of the lower lines

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Airplay355
    Options
    I would consider bright and zing shortcomings but that’s subjective.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The Focal reputation for brightness came from their Tioxid, or titanium oxide coated titanium, inverted dome tweeter. They moved away from that a few years ago. The Tioxid tweeter requires some workarounds in gear selection in my opinion, at least for the JM Lab Electra speakers I have. I have kept mine for more than ten years because they are crystal clear when the right mix of gear is found.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I would consider bright and zing shortcomings but that’s subjective.

You should probably go give some of the newer focals a listen. They are anything but "bright"

• Airplay355
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I didn't know any of that. I thought the tweeters were still basically the same. The most recent Focal I listened to were just some Chorus 706S, but that tweeter is probably different too. I'll have to find a new pair to listen to :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic speakers. Focal is one of my favorites, I have owned them and loved them.
    These new Kanta 2s seem really nice but I wouldn't expect anything less from them. Everything they make is amazing even down to their theater in a box packages.
    Man I would have loved to sit on that demo
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! I didn't know any of that. I thought the tweeters were still basically the same. The most recent Focal I listened to were just some Chorus 706S, but that tweeter is probably different too. I'll have to find a new pair to listen to :)

Way different.

The Kanta 2 is a solid speaker. It is very revealing to the point that unless you play with it, you can come away with the wrong impression IMO.