Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
z016hvk6vwmi.jpeg
h4ryxhuwg7fx.jpeg
vq1312beicrd.jpeg

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Just cant leave well enough alone, can you :smile:. Gotta put that special "Larry Touch" on everything lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    New downspouts?
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Speaker stands???
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Uber soundbar?
  • Toolfan66
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Speaker stands???

Yep, speaker stands for my LSiM 703’s..

1/2 inch aluminum plate, and 2” x 4” x 1/4 wall aluminum tube. My plan is to have adjustable spikes, and a plug on the bottom to fill it with sand or lead shot..

The top plate is the exact profile of the 703 but it is a 1/4 inch bigger all around. They will be 23-24 inches tall with the spikes..

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    we have different ideas of what constitutes "fun". :)

nice job so far.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Nice start!

How about a shaft to hide and channel the wire thru?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TNTsTunes
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Speaker stands???

Yep, speaker stands for my LSiM 703’s..

1/2 inch aluminum plate, and 2” x 4” x 1/4 wall aluminum tube. My plan is to have adjustable spikes, and a plug on the bottom to fill it with sand or lead shot..

The top plate is the exact profile of the 703 but it is a 1/4 inch bigger all around. They will be 23-24 inches tall with the spikes..

Sweet.

Are you going to run some beautiful TIG welds on them to hold them together?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    @Toolfan66 you're a sick, sick man. ;)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Where's the hole for the Alexa device to fit in it?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Brian going to get some TIG duty on these?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Finally stands that have a large top plate to match the 703's size! Fantastic!

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Are you going to fill with sand or shot? Very nice design skills you have. Are you going to polish the aluminum? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Toolfan66
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No I will do the welding, Brian will do some machining when, and if we can squeeze in the time, we are the busiest we have ever been the last few months, we can’t keep up with demand..
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Are you going to fill with sand or shot? Very nice design skills you have. Are you going to polish the aluminum? Good luck. D

Not sure on sand or shot, will more than likely paint the stands..

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    tonyb wrote: »

nice job so far.

Italians have more fun making shoes out of wet concrete.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb

nice job so far.

Italians have more fun making shoes out of wet concrete.

Yeah well...they last a lifetime, as short as that life becomes. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Larry,

Seeing your choice of material begs me to question if you considered the resonance. Aluminum I would think, rings like a bell, especially being hollow. Thoughts ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Larry,

Seeing your choice of material begs me to question if you considered the resonance. Aluminum I would think, rings like a bell, especially being hollow. Thoughts ?

Once filled, especially if with shot, those resonance should no longer exist.
  • tonyb
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Larry,

Once filled, especially if with shot, those resonance should no longer exist.

True in theory, but you also have the metal to metal between the top plates, columns, and bottom plates on the outside. If it isn't as tight as a 40 year old virgin, you still may get some resonance.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I was thinking along the same lines as Tony. Maybe some rubber or felt between stands and speakers? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Toolfan66
    I'm not too worried about resonance as the material is 1/2 inch thick T6 6061 aluminum, they will be pretty stout even without sand or lead shot. I will more than likely still put the little rubber feet on the bottom of the 703's..
  • stainless0steel2
    stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
    edited January 2018
    We oughta do a minimal profile of the plates to clean up the laser cut. Maybe even a radius????
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No I will do the welding, Brian will do some machining when, and if we can squeeze in the time, we are the busiest we have ever been the last few months, we can’t keep up with demand..

iubfzpzbfpy3.jpg
    ;)

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • TNTsTunes
    I'm not too worried about resonance as the material is 1/2 inch thick T6 6061 aluminum, they will be pretty stout even without sand or lead shot. I will more than likely still put the little rubber feet on the bottom of the 703's..

If needed some dynamat extreme under the base and on of the top of the speaker stand. The rubber feet could be mounted to the top of the stand instead of on the speakers also. This should eliminate the chance of any resonance.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You could line with card board before loading?.?...just an idea
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640

Agree. The Magico cabinets are made from 3/8" extruded aluminum and they are pretty darned inert so I imagine the thicker material to be even more so.

As always, looking forward to the finished project, Larry.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip