CD/SA-CD Players

2»

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I would look on the used market for a top of the line (at its time) player that is now "obsolete". I am sure some will disagree but the technology to play a CD is decades old. An older top of the line CD player will get all of the "sound" out there is.

Search Redbook.

I have a used Sony 9000ES CD/SACD/DVD player. It was an excellent player at the time, cost $1500 when introduced, and weighs about 50 lbs. The problem is it is obsolete now because it will not play 1080p DVDs and does not have the flavor of the month DVD decoder or connects.

You should be able to find one on Ebay / Craigslist for about $200. I personally think it will hold its own with many of the new $1000 players (for CDs)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2017
    It should be noted that the Sony 9000ES is infamous for it's laser problems. Hence, the dirt cheap prices and not because it won't play certain formats.

I also disagree that all older top of the line CD players will get all of the "sound" out there is. Some will and some won't.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    delkal wrote: »
    I would look on the used market for a top of the line (at its time) player that is now "obsolete". I am sure some will disagree but the technology to play a CD is decades old. An older top of the line CD player will get all of the "sound" out there is.

Search Redbook.

I have a used Sony 9000ES CD/SACD/DVD player. It was an excellent player at the time, cost $1500 when introduced, and weighs about 50 lbs. The problem is it is obsolete now because it will not play 1080p DVDs and does not have the flavor of the month DVD decoder or connects.

You should be able to find one on Ebay / Craigslist for about $200. I personally think it will hold its own with many of the new $1000 players (for CDs)

I had the 9000ES and a 7100ES AVR. You can connect the two digitally via Sony’s proprietary Ilink cable, and let the AVR decode SACDs to play. This saved 5 analog cables between the SACD player and the AVR. Yes, it did sound very good, and I am sure a lot of people would be happy with it.

However, like everything else, there are newer and better players, transports, and DACs now available, but they also cost more.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • delkal
    edited December 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    It should be noted that the Sony 9000ES is infamous for it's laser problems. Hence, the dirt cheap prices and not because it won't play certain formats.

You pay your money and you take your chances with used equipment. But I am 2 years into my $220 investment and everything is OK so far (knock on wood). Everything after this is gravy.

Luckily the 9000 replacement CD laser mechanism is still readily obtainable and cheap so fixing one should be easy. But in the future this is always an issue with any player. There are some older mid 80's Redbook CD players that have a cult following and they quickly sell for $500-1000. Some people just love the sound of these original players. Unfortunately replacement lasers have been gone for years and when the laser finally dies you have an expensive doorstop.

• dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Welp, I'm a ways off from being able to afford a quality player, so I'm very happy that a noticed a 7 buck entry level SA-CD player at Goodwill for 7 bucks! Sony DVP-NC875V. Five disc carousel, can also be used as a dvd player. Reading the reviews, the audio side outperforms the video side, which is aok for me. I'm sure this would be considered junk to some, but it's better than nothin.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice find. I have a Sony SACD changer as well.

Let us know your listening impressions after you get some time on it.
    dr1978 wrote: »
    Welp, I'm a ways off from being able to afford a quality player, so I'm very happy that a noticed a 7 buck entry level SA-CD player at Goodwill for 7 bucks! Sony DVP-NC875V. Five disc carousel, can also be used as a dvd player. Reading the reviews, the audio side outperforms the video side, which is aok for me. I'm sure this would be considered junk to some, but it's better than nothin.

• dr1978
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice find. I have a Sony SACD changer as well.

Let us know your listening impressions after you get some time on it.

Early returns are positive, but that might be mostly due to getting to hear CD's that I haven't played in years on my new system! But cosmetically it's in great shape and the sound is good to my ears. I'm probably not going to go too crazy with buying new SACD's, but I'll look to get ahold of one so I can try that out.

Adding this new component caused me to dive a little deeper into the setup of my Marantz. I had been disappointed with the low volume coming from my record player, but I just noticed that I could bump up the level on individual inputs. I increased that one by 5db and it's made a huge difference. Overall the Marantz has been great. Clarity is much improved, and it's much easier to listen to than the Sony. I found myself cranking the volume up on my old receiver in order to try to get detail, but it ended up just fatiguing my ears. Definitely seeing a big difference in that area.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    And I guess what I was getting at originally is would I see much improvement in using a dedicated cd player rather than just a dvd or blueray player for listening to cd's

Some people will say no. Rest assured, they have never heard a really good CD/SACD player.

ive Been thinking of getting a nice player, all I’ve ever used have been dvd or bd players just because they’re cheaper and I haven’t had room for extra things. the only CD players I’ve used or heard an 82’ magnavox and my dads newer NAD.

Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2018

Luckily the 9000 replacement CD laser mechanism is still readily obtainable and cheap so fixing one should be easy.

This is not true at all ^^^^^ I have had 4 of these machines and have been really good friends with a number of top tier Sony tech's
    Unfortunately replacement lasers have been gone for years and when the laser finally dies you have an expensive doorstop.

They only lasers available are from used Sony 360/560 DVD players which are mostly unobtainable with low hours. I bought a bunch and most all lasers failed within weeks or months.

by the way do you have the service manual? These machines will diagnose themselves you do not find that in anything modern that I know of.

You also can calibrate the laser to all formats but once the laser starts flaking NOTHNG you can do

You are very lucky in your investment I bought new and had problems within the first year. It's pretty bad when your 1500.00 player uses the same laser they used in the 150.00 player

JUNK but when the play they play good no doubt about that. I never used mine for video. It was strictly SACD/CD ONLY.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Oh, and beer. But I do the budget so that gets slotted in with food and water!

My man!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • delkal
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Luckily the 9000 replacement CD laser mechanism is still readily obtainable and cheap so fixing one should be easy.

This is not true at all ^^^^^ I have had 4 of these machines and have been really good friends with a number of top tier Sony tech's
    Unfortunately replacement lasers have been gone for years and when the laser finally dies you have an expensive doorstop.

They only lasers available are from used Sony 360/560 DVD players which are mostly unobtainable with low hours. I bought a bunch and most all lasers failed within weeks or months.

by the way do you have the service manual? These machines will diagnose themselves you do not find that in anything modern that I know of.

You also can calibrate the laser to all formats but once the laser starts flaking NOTHNG you can do

You are very lucky in your investment I bought new and had problems within the first year. It's pretty bad when your 1500.00 player uses the same laser they used in the 150.00 player

JUNK but when the play they play good no doubt about that. I never used mine for video. It was strictly SACD/CD ONLY.

I would be pissed if my $1500 "top of the Sony line" CD player died after a year! No wonder they got a bad rap.

I did download the service manual. First thing i did was find the hidden screen that shows how many hours the CD played. I do not remember the number but it was not excessive. I do know a common fault for these players is the inability to read SACD's (for starters) and you are correct the machine can self diagnose and repair some tracking errors. Luckily I have not had to do that yet. So far the only thing I don't like is it refuses to play CD-R's. I know it can but I think Sony blocks it since they sell CD's

I thought the 9000ES takes the KHM 220AAA transport. Did a quick search and there are new ones available for $40-50. But they are probably Chinese. Unfortunately this problem will eventually happen with ALL CD players. All lasers eventually die and by the time they do the part is always out of stock.

• pitdogg2
    It does not have the ability to play CD-r because that function was not built in to it like their earlier machines. See you will never know the C13 code because those machines the easiest disc to read is the CD. The sacd/dvd function is the first to go.
    Yes those transports are junk after market Chinese knock offs.
    The Sony first through third gen lasers are the most reliable EVER. I have two machines an X33es and the earlier 508 (i believe) both are about 30yrs old and NEVER had to or will need to replace the laser or transport they are bullet proof.
    Both machines have thousands of hours of play time on them. The 508 i gave to my son 10 yrs ago still a daily driver for him..
    The X33 i completely recapped good for another 30 yrs. Might need a belt but that has not happened for either yet.
  • delkal
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It does not have the ability to play CD-r because that function was not built in to it like their earlier machines. See you will never know the C13 code because those machines the easiest disc to read is the CD. The sacd/dvd function is the first to go.
    Yes those transports are junk after market Chinese knock offs.
    The Sony first through third gen lasers are the most reliable EVER. I have two machines an X33es and the earlier 508 (i believe) both are about 30yrs old and NEVER had to or will need to replace the laser or transport they are bullet proof.
    Both machines have thousands of hours of play time on them. The 508 i gave to my son 10 yrs ago still a daily driver for him..
    The X33 i completely recapped good for another 30 yrs. Might need a belt but that has not happened for either yet.

Good to know. I might have to start looking for one of the models you mentioned as a back up unit.

Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    If you end up buying a Sony x33es player. Be aware the the Elna dourex II electrolytic caps are one of the most corrosive caps ever made. The leak down the electrodes get into the copper traces and eat it GONE. They're about 50 caps to change out. I switched mine to all Elna Silmic II and Nichicon FG where Elna didn't have values. This is a very tedious job and there may be areas you need to jump to good trace. Best to take bottom off and look for black discoloration. These are not a joke. They need to be removed.

FYI
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sounds like a lot of work to go through for a disc spinner.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • delkal
    tonyb wrote: »

That is a problem with just about all modern receivers and players. They try and jam so much in them its a nightmare to recap. I was thinking about recapping a late 80's Denon integrated amp. Opened it up and there were at least 50 caps all over the place and on every board (and the boards were stacked all over the place).

Just put it back together..............

• pitdogg2
    tonyb wrote: »

Labor of love TB
  • dr1978
    Picked up my first SACD; Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft. Got it for a penny! Plus 3.99 shipping. I've heard of the band but never listened to them. Not sure if they'll be a mainstay in my rotation, but they sure took advantage of the technology and was a good intro.

I have Can's Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi on the way. I've been getting into them recently and can't wait to hear them in this format!

I'm sure it's a whole other world with a quality player, but I'm thrilled with my $7 purchase right now!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Where did you find that great deal?
    Got it for a penny! Plus 3.99 shipping.

• dr1978
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Where did you find that great deal?
    Got it for a penny! Plus 3.99 shipping.

Amazon. I was half assuming it was labeled wrong and I'd be getting a regular old cd, but nope, brand new in shrink wrap too.
  • dr1978
    My blueray player just crapped out, so I'm considering going the universal route. I have my eye on the Oppo UDP-203. I am hoping to wait it out and catch one on sale - looks like the current lowest price is $559. Has anyone seen these pop up at a discount?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Only on the used market.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dr1978
    Only on the used market.

Makes sense, looks like it hasn't been released for very long.

If I consider used I might have to do some research on the BDP-105. Music would be my first priority, and it looks like this model delivers more.

• nooshinjohn
    If music is your top priority, I have a Krell Evolution 525a looking for a home. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dr1978
    Oh you don't say...well let me see how much my first born would go for on the market and maybe we can talk later!

I see that you have the UDP-205. That seems like it would be the best of both worlds (well, relatively speaking). How do you like it? Probably out of my price range for now, but maybe it's worth saving up for.
  • nooshinjohn
    It will be a part of my rig until it dies. Picture quality is amazing, and sound is superb.