DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

13»

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 3,714
    A big thanks to @ER308L for pulling these kits together for us, and to @voltz for the hand holding (ha) during finishing parts and materials acquisition, cleaning solution mix, unit setup and configuration, and cleaning procedure tips. Was able to skip a lot of trial & error, which saved me a lot of time. Thanks for this opportunity, Brian - no way I would have been able to pull a DIY USRCM together on my own!
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,735
    Nice Layout of pictures Scott! Now lets get some more cleaning done :p

I'd send you box full of mine if the shipping cost wouldn't be so high.

I'm just glad I don't have as many Vinyl as Red does.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    I didn't know what to expect when I first ran the ultrasonic. I was trying to explain the project to a friend, and he said, "Sooo, you're cleaning something you listen to with something you can't hear."
    I told him to shuddup.
    Turns out it sounds a lot like this. Minus the guys buzzing about aimlessly in circles.
    clssn2pg1cky.jpg
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,874
    edited April 2017
    ^^^^^I loved that game

Right up there with Rock'em Sock'em Robots
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    That needs an lol, as well as a like - how the heck could anyone love that game?!? We'd try it for about 5 minutes and then lose interest and start experimenting. No animals were hurt. But little brothers might have been rented out.
    msg wrote: »
    That needs an lol, as well as a like - how the heck could anyone love that game?!? We'd try it for about 5 minutes and then lose interest and start experimenting. No animals were hurt. But little brothers might have been rented out.

5-letters my friend... BB-Gun ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,718
    OK, so we can clean records with US units...how about drying clothes too!?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4428576/Ultrasonic-dryer-shakes-clothes-halves-drying-times.html
    Yep, my name really is Bob
    That was actually a neat read. Interesting!
    I'm waiting for Brian to figure how to dry them too ;) I have faith in you!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

voltz wrote: »

7ifa9k0nkh6h.jpg
    Speaking of Friday night...
    Welcome to the weekend!
    Clean 'em up, and crrrank it up!
    edited April 2017
    I currently have no Phono amp cause mine is boxed up heading to Kev's house for a 3 week trial :) so I'm all digital for a few weeks. but I can still clean some Vinyl ;)

You are dead to me.
  • voltz wrote: »

Funny you should mention that. I found these in one of the laser scrap buckets. So many possibilities. It's definitely going to be in the shape of a box, that's for sure. But I desperately need to build a new media center; I'm completely out of room. So this will have to be put on the back burner.
    1lvmnvc5abei.jpg
    "The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors."
    My GT Sonic has arrived but timing is bad. We just gutted our kitchen for a total make over and stuff is spread out everywhere...no room or time to clean. I'm just itching to do this but with crap all over the place I can't listen to anything even if it was cleaned.
    I will say the US unit is heavier than expected...a good thing I hope! I'll probably do a foil test just for giggles.
    Baaah.
    Good info on the foil test though! I didn't know you could do that. Cool.

I'm going to get the pipe thread nipple for mine today, and drain, filter, and store my cleaning fluid, since I'm waiting for some brushes. I'd like to run this test as well, since I noticed a variation in action in different areas with two records in the tank.
  • Would love to buy one. Your setup looks like it would hold up better than the others I've seen offered on eBay and amazon. Are you making any more to sell?
  • Yes I will be making more around August. I sent you a PM. Thanks, I agree mine are much better built then others you see out there. Even with the webbing that the 3d printed ones have they're still wouldn't survive a fall to the floor. Where as mine would put a dent in your floor. lol This next go around I've figured out a way with our lathe to accept a larger billet so it can comfortably fit an inner and outer o-ring.
    "The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors."
    It's been awhile since I put my hands on my cleaner(life gets in the way around here a lot!).

Anyhow, due to some miscalculations on my part I am finding that I need to raise the motor and rotating eye piece about 5/8". Although Brian did offer some help he seems to have vanished. I can see how to raise the motor but have no idea how to raise the other end with the pivoting "eye". If I can't figure this out I'll probably offer up my "spinner" for sale and look for other alternatives.
  • Hey, I know this is an OLD thread, and Brian, from the looks of it, is a deleted user..anyone know where I can pick up a kit like this? I want to put together a DIY ultrasonic LP cleaner of my own, without breaking the bank. Thanks for any info you guys can give me.
    Ohhhh Briiiiiii-annnnnnn, yooo-hoooo!
    @stainless0steel2
  • ^Gracias^
    Ok @flyweed my plate is a little full right now. I've got my SDA 2b's I'm finishing up. And I've got this old sewing machine (don't judge) my mom wants refurbished.
    Things seem to be at a manageble point at work where I could pull off another run. I'd like to do it mid to late February. You know the time people start to get their tax returns...
    So anyone who reads this, message me so I can add you to the ever growing list. :)
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • Brian, SO glad you are still on here. Shoot me a message on price, etc. And add me to the list. I'd LOVE to get one. Thanks much. OH and Mid to late February is perfect timing for me. :)
    Just finished cleaning my final(for now) record. Took a while but I got through the 245 albums we currently have. Now I don;t have to limit myself to the "already cleaned" batch when deciding on what to play. Thanks again to Brian for helping me in my time of need :)
  • muncybob wrote: »
    Just finished cleaning my final(for now) record. Took a while but I got through the 245 albums we currently have. Now I don;t have to limit myself to the "already cleaned" batch when deciding on what to play. Thanks again to Brian for helping me in my time of need :)

Sorry I just stumbled across your comment. Thats awesome! I'm glad the green machine is hard at work.
    And anytime man always happy to help :)
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
13»