Tube question.

Does anyone know if there is sound differences between Philips long plate tubes? K61,k62,k63? Seems only difference is their getters, the construction otherwise looks the same.

I have one 1957 Holland long plate with the D getter, foil strip, on a small post (k63).

I also have one 1956 Holland long plate with the D getter, foil strip, not on a post and is tilted at 45ish degrees. I can barely make out the tube code. K62 maybe?

Both tubes are NOS, and electrically are a good match. Would this be ok? I know the obvious answer to the question is to TRY! But My OCD is bugging me on this one.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Should mention both tubes are Herleen Holland.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Although I have not used the Phillips brand tubes you are referring to, I have used the Valvo long plate halo and D-getter 45 degree and straight getter tubes.

The sound is close enough you will probably not notice the difference. Will they be one for the left and one for the right channel? I doubt you will notice any difference. I prefer the 45 degree D-getter tube, but either is excellent.

The Valvo tubes are made in Hamburg Germany and not Holland, but your Phillips tubes are are very similar to some Amperex Holland D-getter long plate tubes (which I have heard). You should be fine using them in a pair, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2018
    Based on you first sentence, that's a YES, because Philips tubes include many different manufacturers.

To your specific ? about Heerlen tubes: Some people think there are. Personally, I think there are very subtle differences, but it's hard to attribute it to a build change.

I do notice a difference between the Valvo Hamburg tubes and their build code changes, but it's subtle. My preference being the very early D getter w/foil.

You should be fine as long as the years are about the same. The only way to know for sure is to understand the changes made to the tube when a new build designation is instituted. So far that info has been very elusive.

One area, for example, where the tubes do sound different are something like the Mullard mC long plates vs. the f9x long plates. The differences while still subtle are noticeable. The f9x LP's seem to resist microphonics better than the mC counterpart. Construction for both are very similar to the naked eye.

Heerlen LPs tubes seem to have a consistent sound across the build changes.

Just my .02c

H9

P.s, be careful using the generic term Philips tubes because Philips manufactured in many different factories and countires. So saying "Philips" could mean many tubes, vs. Heerlen Holland or Hamburg Germany or Mitcham England, etc.

P.s.s. My OCD gets me every time. I always run exact pairs. And have searched for a specific build/date tube to make sure.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    Thanks guys. These are both delta codes and are less than a year apart. One is labeled Rogers, the other amperex. Here’s some pics.

pqdrwi3x862b.jpeg

jyhtrfaqxfvc.jpeg

From left to right. 1959 Mitcham long plate, 1957 amperex Herleen Holland long plate, 1960 Amperex Holland short plate.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    I have one pair of 57 Herleen Holland long plates with matching date codes. These 2 will be completing a quad In my Cary preamp. So yes to being in a left and right channel. Going to test it out this weekend, but have to take the pre out of the system and remove the top, which is kind of annoying.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Sounds like one of those "Hold my beer and watch this" things that could be likened to doing 180Kph on the Trans Canada Highway thru Deadmans Flats...

:)

They take your car for 180Kph don't they? I did a lot of commuting from Port Huron to Ingersoll, lot's of cops (is that what you call em?) barely above 120Kph!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.