2015/16 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro?

Looking at these, because I want more horsepower, and my '12 Passat has a 2.5L NA engine, with no tweaking available.
Just wondering if anyone here has one, or knows someone with this vehicle, and what their experiences are (good/ bad), and when (mileage) the reliability issues start (if at all?).
TIA for any feedback
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Father in law had a 2010 and 2013 I believe; heck of a lot of electrical problems with both and turbo went out on the last one. Was tired of dealing with the hassle and expense of the issues and got rid of it
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    It's not really going to be a good bit quicker IMHO. While the turbo engine might offer more feeling of pep, it's an Audi so it will be heavier. Also, AWD so more drivetrain to move. I've driven A3's and they're just your regular get around sedan. My 65 year old aunt has one.

What's your budget? If you want more power, I think there are better choices.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Neighbor has a Passat and he's always working on it, sometimes soliciting my help, and it's been surprising to me how many parts it shares with Audi. I almost bought an A4 15 years ago for my wife before settling on a Mercedes. I loved the way it handled, was a very nimble car. I had always held Audi in high regard until my neighbors issues with his VW and what I've learned about Audi upon further research. Having worked for one of the Big Three for 30 years I've learned a lot of industry info concerning warranty claims and TGW's (Things Gone Wrong) and VW is usually near the top of the list when it comes to TGW's. Hopefully Audi can avoid having its name tarnished while under the VW umbrella.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Neighbor has a Passat and he's always working on it, sometimes soliciting my help, and it's been surprising to me how many parts it shares with Audi. I almost bought an A4 15 years ago for my wife before settling on a Mercedes. I loved the way it handled, was a very nimble car. I had always held Audi in high regard until my neighbors issues with his VW and what I've learned about Audi upon further research. Having worked for one of the Big Three for 30 years I've learned a lot of industry info concerning warranty claims and TGW's (Things Gone Wrong) and VW is usually near the top of the list when it comes to TGW's. Hopefully Audi can avoid having its name tarnished while under the VW umbrella.

How old and what mileage is that Passat? My 2012 has been bullet proof-other than the original battery dying last summer, (after 5 years)? Also, mine is a part time vehicle, my co. provides a service van to work out of.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited January 2018
    Hmm interesting thread. And a lot of misinformation already. Hey Ken! The euro trash is neck and neck with Ford!

0p5gllpiz9gg.png
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kharp1
    Yeah, Consumer Reports is most definitely the most reliable reporting agency. I stopped taking that rag many moons ago.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited January 2018
    A buddy of mine has a 2016 S6....it flat out rips. If you want some more HP.... B) Brutal acceleration.
  • mikeyb128
    Yeah, Consumer Reports is most definitely the most reliable reporting agency. I stopped taking that rag many moons ago.

Sorry, next time I won’t pick the one at the top of the google page. Looks like there’s about 3 pages of similar results from other agencies. Sounds like you’ve been out of the automotive business for a while. Things have changed, No offense.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Look where Tesla is.....not good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Sorry, next time I won’t pick the one at the top of the google page. Looks like there’s about 3 pages of similar results from other agencies. Sounds like you’ve been out of the automotive business for a while. Things have changed, No offense.

No, still in the business, just on the other side of things in maintenance. Don't have to go to those "production meetings" where you view the report cards every week.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I can't speak about reliability, but two coworkers on my team own a q5, a3. They only complain about the price of repairs and maintenance. A good friend of mine owns an a3 and if it wasn't for the warranty he'd be very p.o.
    When we were looking at a new to us vehicle we considered looking at Audi but reading and talking to people we chose not to get one.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I'd look on the Audi forums and see what owners are experiencing with maintenance. I've heard extended warrantys are a must for the brand.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Just cruised some of the Audi forums and searched on reliability... after that they're not on my purchase list. While people love the looks and the drive, most would not own without a warranty. Seems they have serious oil consumption problems besides costly maintenance and repairs. Good luck with your search.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    That list is only relevant for current year models. Most people are going to own their vehicle beyond that model year, so how can they rate reliability over say an average of 5 years? Their data is flawed. Stretch that report out beyond the warranty period and you'll see BMW is going to be dead last, 33% higher than Mercedes even. https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-car-brands-with-the-highest-maintenance-costs-over-1781639773
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • nguyendot
    https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-car-brands-with-the-highest-maintenance-costs-over-1781639773

Try stretching the data beyond just the current year model. I mean a BMW is great under warranty, but wait until it's up and it become an expensive nightmare.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• nguyendot
    That list is only relevant for current year models. Most people are going to own their vehicle beyond that model year, so how can they rate reliability over say an average of 5 years? Their data is flawed. Stretch that report out beyond the warranty period and you'll see BMW is going to be dead last, 33% higher than Mercedes even. https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-car-brands-with-the-highest-maintenance-costs-over-1781639773
    Main Surround -

• nguyendot
    https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-car-brands-with-the-highest-maintenance-costs-over-1781639773

Try stretching the data beyond just the current year model. I mean a BMW is great under warranty, but wait until it's up and it become an expensive nightmare.
    Main Surround -

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The A4 is a better choice than an A3 but costs a bit more. I think 2015 was a redesign year for the A3 so the 2016 may be a better choice. Audi runs a four year bumper to bumper warranty. Buy a certified pre-owned and you can stretch the warranty further but you pay extra in the sale price for the warranty. Out of warranty repairs can be expensive, but not out of line with any other European brand. Check around in your area to see if there is a good shop that handles European brand vehicles. You could avoid dealer costs that way. Get an extended warranty if concerned about long term ownership and get to know the dealership service folks. Take the Audi to the dealer for regular maintenance. It has been my experience their service is top notch but it is not cheap without a service plan.

No way around it, owning a luxury brand long term will be more expensive than driving an econobox. This is true for Lexus as well, they just tend not to have the same number of parts go bad over the lomg term. You still pay more to own the vehicle compared to a Toyota.

Saying an Audi is the same as a Volkswagen is the same as saying a Lexus is the same as a Toyota or an Acura is tne same as a Honda. The luxury lines all share some parts with the main brand but the vehicles are not the same. Dealership experiences will be better with the luxury brand because customers pay for it.
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2018
    I will also add that regardless of the brand, the lower level luxury models tend to be the “aspirational” models that are intended to give buyers a taste of the brand to get them in the door without really providing what the mid and upper models have. To a degree it is paying extra for the badge. Engines and transmissions would be available in models from the parent company’s models and interiors tend to be fairly cheap with hard plastics and lacking features that would be standard on a Hyundai.

Personally, I do not think they are worth the extra money.

If looking at a used Audi for performance above a Passat, I would recommend looking at a model with their supercharged V6. That engine is solid and can easily be tuned for much higher performance.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • mikeyb128
    edited January 2018
    ^^^ finally someone who knows what they’re talking about!

I’ve worked for vw, Audi, and Porsche as a technician for 15 years. I now work at a private shop. We work mainly on German vehicles, but we also work on a lot of other brands. I would actaully steer you towards vw before Audi. I have 3 vws (2 new and 1 vintage) vw does 4 years bumper to bumper, and 5 years power train, with CPO adds another 2 years! That’s 7 years warranty! Did anyone know that vw is also the third largest auto manufacturer in the world? Audi, Vw, seat, skoda, Bentley, Porsche...

I always laugh when people buy an 80,000 dollar S4 and complain about maintenance costs. Yes these cars cost more to maintain, and yes they cost more to repair. The thing I see most is people actually don’t maintain these cars, they let them go to ****, go 20,000km between services, then it’s the cars fault?

We’re also the only unitronic dealer in Alberta, so we see a lot of tuning, and these engine hold up with minimal modifications. You can almost double the horsepower in these cars reliably.

The direction manufacturers are going with most cars, loaded with all this tech, will in the end cost more to maintain. In my opinion, all cars are junk, too much tech for them to have long term reliability outside of warranty. With exception of Japanese cars, they seem to do it right, keeping it simple.

Cars are basically like Audio. It’s all subjective. Bring you’re vw or Audi to a tech that actually understands these cars, and save yourself some time and money, get it diagnosed correctly the first time. I will be the first to admit they are a little tricky to diagnose, this seems to hang up a lot of techs, and in the end an unhappy customer complains on the internet, and the tech bashes the brand.

What a chore this was to write from a phone.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    2018 VW's have a 6 year 72K bumper to bumper. That should alleviate the perceived issues with reliability. I say perceived, because it is. Regular maintenance and having it serviced by someone who knows how to work and diagnose them.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Mikeyb, thinking of going Unitronic in my 2017 GTi, both engine and DSG. What's your opinion? Right now I just picked up a Dinan piggyback tuning box for cheap (brand new $150). Waiting until she's broken in more for the Unitronic tune as it will void my warranty..........not ready for that yet as I only have 4400 miles on her.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Also with all due respect to Emlyn, VW is more Audi than Honda is Acura or Toyota is Lexus.
  • Emlyn
    Agreed on the issue with electronics. Take loudspeakers for example, where physical drivers may have a five year warranty but anything electronic like the amp in a subwoofer or the controls on a soundbar may only have a one year warranty. That's because electronic things break. It's the electronics that tend to be the weak point in vehicles too and cars are getting loaded up with them, whether it is infotainment systems, automated braking, lane keeping assist, or 9 speed transmissions with whacky shift patterns that can go into limp mode with just one faulty resistor in a circuit. Those new features seem to be where most owner complaints are coming from these days. Toyota has tended not to adopt them so quickly as others which means fewer owner complaints.
  • mikeyb128
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Mikeyb, thinking of going Unitronic in my 2017 GTi, both engine and DSG. What's your opinion? Right now I just picked up a Dinan piggyback tuning box for cheap (brand new $150). Waiting until she's broken in more for the Unitronic tune as it will void my warranty..........not ready for that yet as I only have 4400 miles on her.

uni has fantastic customer support, and an excellent track record of reliability. I’ve flashed my golf R through every stage with zero problems. My car has been stage 2 with HPFP and launch control (it’s a manual transmission) since 28,000kms. I’m at 101,000 now and have had zero issues as well. If you go with the higher stages I highly recommend their exhaust, intakes and intercoolers. They use high quality stainless with v band clamps at all connections. Their parts literally fit like factory. Go stage 1 to see how you like it. It’s a huge jump in HP (87!) it wakes that thing right up! No modifications necessary for stage 1.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    I have a Clubsport S muffler enroute and I'd probably do an intercooler at a later date. I am just very weary of warranty denial so it'll be awhile before I go Uni. From all the research I gathered they aren't as aggressive as APR or the others, which is fine by me. They are a bit more linear and not run on the ragged edge.

Not going to crazy, just want the car to have the power it should have had from the factory. I am not a boy racer, but the extra hp and tq will be nice when I need it...lol

Sorry for the derail guys.
  • mikeyb128
    From all the research I gathered they aren't as aggressive as APR or the others, which is fine by me. They are a bit more linear and not run on the ragged edge.

Exactly. That’s How they keep their tunes reliable. Check out some of their YouTube videos, they are usually conservatively rated. I will double check, but I believe they measure their horsepower at the wheels and not the crank.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    I've been around VW's my whole life. I've only owned 2 other non-VW cars. I have done tons of research and have been in the 'scene' so to speak. I was going to go APR with my MK5, but never got around to it. At the time they needed to take the ECU out to flash and I wasn't too keen on that. Now it's all done through the OBD port.

I still have my MK5 GTi, my girlfriend drives it and I drive my new MK7. MK5 has 89,000 on it.

Anyway, I'll hit you up with any questions when it gets closer.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Emlyn wrote: »
    No way around it, owning a luxury brand long term will be more expensive than driving an econobox. This is true for Lexus as well, they just tend not to have the same number of parts go bad over the lomg term. You still pay more to own the vehicle compared to a Toyota.

Don't really agree with this based on personal experience. BMW, Audi, Mercedes more expensive, totally agree. But not Lexus.. in the family we have 6 Lexus vehicles from 33k to 230k miles. All but 2 were bought with over 100k miles on them. Outside of normal maintenance of batteries, brakes, tires, oil changes, these have been awesome vehicles. I can get the basic maintenance parts from Toyota at cheaper prices. The big parts, just don't fail on these cars... not saying they're perfect, but for long term, they just run and are not that expensive to maintain.

Again, just my personal experience.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

uni has fantastic customer support, and an excellent track record of reliability. I’ve flashed my golf R through every stage with zero problems. My car has been stage 2 with HPFP and launch control (it’s a manual transmission) since 28,000kms. I’m at 101,000 now and have had zero issues as well. If you go with the higher stages I highly recommend their exhaust, intakes and intercoolers. They use high quality stainless with v band clamps at all connections. Their parts literally fit like factory. Go stage 1 to see how you like it. It’s a huge jump in HP (87!) it wakes that thing right up! No modifications necessary for stage 1.

Couple of questions:
    1. I've heard that APR doesn't void the warranty, is that true?
    2. What difference is there between APR and Unitronic? It seems the HP gains are about the same for the roughly the same price?