New (to me) amp: McCormack DNA-125

Comments

• StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    edited January 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    StevieB wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the McCormack. My new to me DNA-1, kicked the Parasound A23's azz all the way from Florida to New Hampshire! B)

LOL, glad to hear this. I don't push them for no reason. On the used markets now, they are a few steps up from the Parasounds and B&k's we all love. All good amps in their own right too.

The McCormack sounds very good with the 3.1's. Honestly the best $800 I've spent in a long time.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the McCormack. My new to me DNA-1, kicked the Parasound A23's azz all the way from Florida to New Hampshire! B)

LOL, glad to hear this. I don't push them for no reason. On the used markets now, they are a few steps up from the Parasounds and B&k's we all love. All good amps in their own right too.

I have 2 of them although only using the deluxe.

Have an Adcom, B&K reference, and the other McCormack sitting on a rack.

Sitting on a rack ??
    Send the McCormack to me and I'll let it sit on my rack actually doing something. :):D

Send me a filled medium envelope.

B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited January 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's perfectly normal to hear a slight hiss with your ear an inch or two from a tweeter. When using tube gear it's a guarantee you will hear it.

No guarantee on tube gear. That is one aspect that blew me away (along with several clients) with the MastersounD gear. No hiss, no hum... even the background is black. I've now heard a half dozen different amps in my house and they all share this same quality.

I would expect most, if not all tube amps produced in China to have some form of hum or hiss. Companies that build quality transformers its not as black and white on.

It's not the trannies that make the hiss, it's the tubes, commonly called tube rush. I don't know how a tube amp would not have it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

I have 2 of them although only using the deluxe.

Have an Adcom, B&K reference, and the other McCormack sitting on a rack.

Sitting on a rack ??
    Send the McCormack to me and I'll let it sit on my rack actually doing something. :):D

Send me a filled medium envelope.

B)

Dagos and envelopes are like pb&j....I can send ya one. Can't guarantee what it will be filled with though. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    It had been since last week Wednesday that I requested the refund, and I still hadn't seen it as of today.

So I emailed them and asked how many business takes it typically takes to process a refund. Got a response stating "It was processed on our end but sometimes it can take a while to show up in your account"

1.5 hours later, I get an email from Paypal stating I've received a refund. Coincidence? They can take your money instantly, but you gotta nag them after 5 business days have passed to get it back.

Whatever, it's over. I'm out $55 for the return shipping, I'll never do business with TMR Audio again, and let us never speak of this thread again.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It had been since last week Wednesday that I requested the refund, and I still hadn't seen it as of today.

So I emailed them and asked how many business takes it typically takes to process a refund. Got a response stating "It was processed on our end but sometimes it can take a while to show up in your account"

1.5 hours later, I get an email from Paypal stating I've received a refund. Coincidence? They can take your money instantly, but you gotta nag them after 5 business days have passed to get it back.

Whatever, it's over. I'm out $55 for the return shipping, I'll never do business with TMR Audio again, and let us never speak of this thread again.

Maybe its just me but I'll state it again. I think you are being a bit "hyper sensitive".
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    This is the thread that never ends...
    Yes it goes on and on my friends!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Come on everybody...Join in....It's the Song

https://youtu.be/0U2zJOryHKQ
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    lightman1 wrote: »
    This is the thread that never ends...
    Yes it goes on and on my friends!!

Just Iike herpegonasyphilaids you just never get over that stuff...
  • Clipdat
    They relisted it with the exact same description as before: "Functional Notes: Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

That's strange that it says "no issues found". I sure found an "issue", and I reported it to them.

Let's just hope the next person who buys it doesn't mind a humming amplifier. Caveat Emptor.

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-dna-125-stereo-power-amplifier/
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    I just sent them an e mail asking if they would sell it to me for 899.00 without the hissssss.
  • Clipdat
    LOL, if you really did, they are gonna get mad.
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    I just sent them an e mail asking if they would sell it to me for 899.00 without the hissssss.

• tonyb
    They relisted it with the exact same description as before: "Functional Notes: Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

That's strange that it says "no issues found". I sure found an "issue", and I reported it to them.

Let's just hope the next person who buys it doesn't mind a humming amplifier. Caveat Emptor.

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-dna-125-stereo-power-amplifier/

Not totally correct there pal. You found an issue, but you did not determine if it was the amp or something else within your system.

You have to be willing to problem solve when dealing with new or used gear. Even new amps can cause the same things.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tony, he did a fairly decent job determining it was the amp. He did as well as anyone not so electronically inclined could do.... what more do you want?

Maybe I missed something then Skip. I don't recall him doing anything about the incoming power at the wall, ground loops, or trying a different pre amp, different cabling. All things most of us would try before kicking a piece to the curb....at least some of those things anyway.

Granted, noise in ones system is aggravating and we all have different levels of tolerance for it. Personally I have none myself, but I do my due diligence to remove it as best I can. Blaming the seller solely in this instance just doesn't seem right.

Plus the 55 buck shipping fee....c'mon man. If the amp was faulty I'm sure they would have covered the shipping. Regardless, in the end....it cost the man 55 bucks to try something out, didn't work out for him and he got a refund. I'd love to try a bunch of different gear for the measly cost of 55 bucks. I'm just not seeing the big beef he has with this company.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    and let us never speak of this thread again.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    I took it to my office building and thus tried it on a completely different source of power.
    Maybe I missed something then Skip. I don't recall him doing anything about the incoming power at the wall

We're not discussing this abortion of a thread, just following up about how they're relisting an arguably defective item and trying to make another quick sale on it. They're not fully disclosing it's condition accurately.

Nobody is forcing you to continue posting in here @tratliff , so move along if you don't have anything to contribute
    tratliff wrote: »
    and let us never speak of this thread again.
  • Clipdat
    Technically it cost me $110 because I spent $805 and got $695 back.
    Plus the 55 buck shipping fee
    55 bucks to try something out
    measly cost of 55 bucks.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited January 2018
    I'm not sure what else The Music Room is to do...they took it back in, hooked it up and they found no problem. Should they have to post on their ad that a customer previously bought the item and believed there was a problem with it, returned it and now it's being relisted though we found no problem with it? You're making it sound like they are an underhanded company trying to pull something over on the audio buying public and I don't see that. They have a pretty good history. I realize your butt is sore from the shipping costs you have lost, but, to tarnish a fairly reputable company because of that is a bit petty.

As far as "the thread that won't end" goes, people, if you don't want to read it please, PLEASE, don't go to the trouble of moving your cursor over the thread link and then clicking on it. Unless you just want a reason to complain. Seems like there's a lot of that going around, must be the cabin fever from the bad weather.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^^
    You will accept an amp that hums and lets hiss get to the tweeters.

Drew will not accept those issues, especially since said Co. doesn't state it in either ad they've posted on it.

Drew has opinions and you do and we all do.

Why degrade him. He tried his heart out to get rid of the HUM short of sending it in for a repair that might not have been a repair that could've fixed that hum. Maybe it's inherent for that amp to hum. I don't know, Drew doesn't know. Drew was respectful the whole time as were some others on this thread. I noticed another has that same amp but I didn't hear if that amp hummed or let hiss through to the tweeters. Any other McCormac owners want to weigh in on their amps hum and hiss topics?

Maybe that Co. DOES know it hums, therefore says nothing is out of the norm for it. Maybe.

110.00 is a lot of money for a lot of people and if that Co. was as good as you and others say it is, they should've AT LEAST covered one shipping charge. Maybe Drew would've then tried another one of their amps out.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    I'm sharing factual occurrences, events, and real email conversations - and then sharing my personal opinions on them. I'm not sure how that means that I'm "tarnishing" a reputable company.

Never did I say "I will never again do business with this company, and neither should YOU!". Everyone can freely decide on their own if they want to deal with this company.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what else The Music Room is to do...they took it back in, hooked it up and they found no problem. Should they have to post on their ad that a customer previously bought the item and believed there was a problem with it, returned it and now it's being relisted though we found no problem with it? You're making it sound like they are an underhanded company trying to pull something over on the audio buying public and I don't see that. They have a pretty good history. I realize your butt is sore from the shipping costs you have lost, but, to tarnish a fairly reputable company because of that is a bit petty.

• Tony M
    F1nut wrote: »
    Die thread die

Buy that amp and let's hear your thoughts on it. Come on... :p
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Then this from today:

Never did I say "I will never again do business with this company, and neither should YOU!". Everyone can freely decide on their own if they want to deal with this company.

@Tony M
    How am I degrading him? I was a McCormack amp owner that spoke up that I had no such issues with my McCormack. To insinuate that TMR is doing something underhanded by not revealing that a person bought the amp and thought it was defective, yet they test it and find nothing wrong with it, seems like someone being overly sensitive. Several here have commented the same. Caveat emptor is what Clipdat posted, and I agree whole hearted, caveat emptor. Did he verify their policies for return? I think he's being overly sensitive and he's sore because he had to pay the shipping costs to return it, and, that soreness is manifesting him him saying "I'll never do business with TMR Audio again" and inferring that they are doing something wrong because their tests didn't reveal what his did.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, just not our own facts. The fact is TMR has a fairly good reputation. Drew is unhappy with his experience. He's posting on this forum in an attempt to sway others opinions about TMR. Unless we were there at Drews place when he fired the amp up we don't know what it sounded like. We don't know what the contributing factors in the power and it's interaction with that amp. We don't know what TMR does to test their equipment offered for sale unless we ask. Caveat emptor. They took the amp back, he had to pay shipping. If there wasn't something agreed to previously then I don't see where the issue is. It's sad when it works out that way at times, but, not the end of the world. That's part of the expense when doing business with smaller businesses.
  • Tony M
    @Tony M
    How am I degrading him? I was a McCormack amp owner that spoke up that I had no such issues with my McCormack. To insinuate that TMR is doing something underhanded by not revealing that a person bought the amp and thought it was defective, yet they test it and find nothing wrong with it, seems like someone being overly sensitive. Several here have commented the same. Caveat emptor is what Clipdat posted, and I agree whole hearted, caveat emptor. Did he verify their policies for return? I think he's being overly sensitive and he's sore because he had to pay the shipping costs to return it, and, that soreness is manifesting him him saying "I'll never do business with TMR Audio again" and inferring that they are doing something wrong because their tests didn't reveal what his did.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, just not our own facts. The fact is TMR has a fairly good reputation. Drew is unhappy with his experience. He's posting on this forum in an attempt to sway others opinions about TMR. Unless we were there at Drews place when he fired the amp up we don't know what it sounded like. We don't know what the contributing factors in the power and it's interaction with that amp. We don't know what TMR does to test their equipment offered for sale unless we ask. Caveat emptor. They took the amp back, he had to pay shipping. If there wasn't something agreed to previously then I don't see where the issue is. It's sad when it works out that way at times, but, not the end of the world. That's part of the expense when doing business with smaller businesses.[/quote]

All I can say now is I'm sorry my brain didn't file that you commented on your McCormack amp not having any problems. I must have read it and forgot it. I sincerely apologize.

And I wouldn't in a million years expect any Co. to state in an ad that their product had issues with a former buyer but then upon receiving it back, couldn't find said issues. NOBODY would want to buy it if that was printed. TMR seems like a BIG company. 8K.00 amps USED.. And all the other $$$$ components they have for sale.
    That's way out of my budget range for now.

And I DO hope to one day hear a McCormack amp to experience what a lot of reviewers have said about them being a 1st class amp.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    Not sure what the point was of you quoting my past message and then my message from today. The part I bolded below is the part I was emphasizing that I did not say.

Then this from today:

It wasn't about "tests revealing something". It's like a light bulb, either it shines light, or it doesn't. The amp hummed when powered on, it wasn't silent. That is cut and dry, there's no "tests to reveal anything" in this context.

Go back to Peter's email for a moment: "There is an extremely small amount of noise difference between completely unpowered and powered up when I'm pressing my ear against the top. This is 100% consistent with normal operation."

As you can see, he confirms what I reported, that the amplifier makes a noise, and that there is an audible difference from when it is turned off, versus turned on. But then he goes on to say that in his opinion, that behavior is consistent with "normal operation".
    inferring that they are doing something wrong because their tests didn't reveal what his did.

If your take home message is that I'm posting to attempt to "sway" people's opinions about TMR, than that is your personal interpretation. I post on the forum because I like to post on Club Polk.
    He's posting on this forum in an attempt to sway others opinions about TMR.

Two sources of power, several miles apart.

"We are all entitled to our own opinions, just not our own facts."
    We don't know what the contributing factors in the power and it's interaction with that amp.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    My opinion means nothing in this thread!
    $236!
    Drew cuts my grass!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Hey Russ... perhaps a power outage is in order. Can you set that up?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson