Polk I Sonic 3

Options
pstrev
pstrev Posts: 60
edited February 2012 in Electronics
I cannot find any retailer selling the I Sonic 2. So after a bit of searching, I found photos of an I Sonic 3 on Polk's website; but no info or details. It would make a great Christmas gift "for my wife"... I'm trying to find a speaker dock compatable with her new Ipod Touch 4.
http://www.polkaudio.com/partners/highres.php

Anybody have any info or thoughts of a new release?

Pat
Yamaha RX-A700
Polk Audio RTi A5
Polk Audio CSi A6
Polk Audio RTi A3
Polk Audio DSW Pro 500wi
Post edited by pstrev on

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I don't have any info on this and wasn't aware that a third generation model was coming out, but as an I iSonic 2 owner it looks like content has been taken out of the product again. No stereo RCA outputs, no composite or VHS video outputs, no button for tagging, and it looks like HD Radio might have been removed based on no HD Radio symbol. Overall it looks cleaner and better finished than the I Sonic 2, and I never used the features that were removed anyway except for HD Radio once in a while. Looks like Polk may have taken the opportunity to update their table radio to be compatible with newer smart phones and made some minor adaptations at the same time to be more in line with how most people will actually use the product. I think the new finish makes it look better.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Anyone heard anything else about this? I'd like to pick something along these lines up again, if this is coming out soon I can wait otherwise I'll have to go another route.
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Good question, I still love my original iSonic and forget how great it performs for such a little unit. Would love to get an updated version.
  • pstrev
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I finally found something about the ES 3 while searching the web. However, no release date mentioned.

Polk Readies I-Sonic 3, Noise-Canceling Headphones
    By Joseph Palenchar and Lisa Johnston -- TWICE, 1/10/2012
    LAS VEGAS ? Polk Audio is launching its first two noise-canceling headphones and the latest iteration of its I-Sonic one-piece tabletop audio system as part of a renewed effort to offer personal audio products.

The UltraFocus 6000 and 8000 noise-canceling headphones join the company?s first six headphones launched in midyear. The new models are the brand?s first noisecanceling headphones.

The in-ear UltraFocus 6000 ($149) operate off a single AA battery and have close to 40 hours of usage, Polk told TWICE. They also feature a Push-to-Hear function on the in-line remote that amplifies ambient noise, so users don?t have to remove their headphones during a conversation. Three different tips are included ? single flange, triple flange and memory foam ? and they come with a flat, tangle-free cable and a right-angle connector. Availability is scheduled for first quarter.

The 6000 will not operate as non-noise-canceling headphones when the battery dies, Polk said.

The over-ear 8000 headphones ($349) will be available in the spring and will also have an inline remote. These add a built-in mic, three-position iPod/iPhone controller and Skype adapter.

The I-Sonic Entertainment System 3 (IES3) desktop/tabletop system, shipping in the spring at a suggested $299.95, features AM/FM tuner, clock with a snooze/sleep alarm and timer, integrated Apple-certified iPod/iPhone dock, and an analog aux in for connecting other sources. Like its predecessors, which have been out of production for some time, it features four-speaker array to deliver stereo imaging to any listening position around the device.

The new models adds higher power amplification, audiophile-grade speakers, and new DSP processing that enables the system to play louder and clearer, with deeper bass and better imaging than its predecessors, the company said. It delivers 25 percent more amplifier power than its immediate predecessor, the IES2.

Patented PowerPort bass venting technology yields deep bass despite the system?s small chassis, which measures just more than 14 inches wide, 9 inches deep and less than 5 inches high, the company said.

A USB port is available for firmware upgrades.

The previous tabletop system, the IES2, was priced at a suggested $499 and featured HD Radio with iTunes tagging, video output and optional Sirius satellite-radio capability.

It must be coming soon (I hope)

Pat
    Yamaha RX-A700
    Polk Audio RTi A5
    Polk Audio CSi A6
    Polk Audio RTi A3
    Polk Audio DSW Pro 500wi
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I've had the original ISonic and the current version, both of which are really great and terribly underrated. It's one of the better clock radio, Apple docks on the market. Although I like the full featured older ISonic with the DVD player, it was behind the power curve and really should have included Blu-Ray and HDMI. If it had, I firnly believe it would have been a better seller.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I gave mine to my sister for her bedroom, it still sounds and works great. I even borrow it for small out door gatherings, that thing can really put out some volume for being so small.
  • pstrev
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Yamaha RX-A700
    Polk Audio RTi A5
    Polk Audio CSi A6
    Polk Audio RTi A3
    Polk Audio DSW Pro 500wi
  • BarnacleBill
    Options
    Some years ago I bought an iSonic as a gift for my wife. The CD player quickly died and I sent it back under warranty.
    After a very long wait they sent us a new one. My wife was so disgusted she never opened the box. I put it away and forgot about it.
    Recently I came across the radio and set it up in my office. I was amazed at how much heat came from the unit. It did not take long for this one to fail completely.
    -BarnacleBill
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I finally tossed my iSonic 2 in the trash last week. It had been used with a Squeezebox Touch running into the RCA inputs for a few years. The volume and other buttons and controls stopped working so it was stuck at one volume level. Sounded good up until the end.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I have the original Isonic connected to my cable box in my bedroom and getting awesome sound still. It wakes me up every workday morning.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,692
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    It wakes me up every workday morning.

:'( My condolences.