What is it with people ? Rant

I've had about enough dealing with people nowadays. Tonight marks the second time in as many weeks I have been "stood up" by buyers for items.

The first one was a 55" tv I was selling on craigslist for super cheap. A gentleman called me as soon as it was posted and asked if I could hold it for him until the next day. I obliged and fended off tons of interested buyers, a few of whom offered me 50 more than I was asking if I would sell it to them. Being a man of my word, I held the tv and never heard from that gentleman again. Tried to text and call and was completely ignored. The situation irked me a little bit.

Something similar happened tonight. Someone off AVSforum that is local to me pmed me and told me he wanted my SVS. Wanted to come last night to grab it but ended up cancelling on the account of the ATM wouldn't allow him to take off enough money. No worries, he said he would come by after he was off work (just past 5). Great, made sure I was home. Sent him a text at 4 to make sure we were still on, didn't respond. 7 o'clock came and went. Sent another text to see what was up, no response. He has been active on the AVSforum the past few hours. Told 2 people that had contacted me over the past two days that it was sold. To commit to something and change your mind is understandable, it happens. But to not give the other party a heads up and ignore communication is just plain rude.

Maybe I give people too much credit, I think I should probably just expect that people don't contain high moral standards anymore. Really quite disappointing

I feel better now, /rant
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    1st come first serve policy is in order when you are generous to offer under FMV.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    It just seems to be a general lack of give a s**t for other people. I'm a young guy and I notice it more and more with people of my age group, its just really disappointing to see on a day in and day out basis.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    It's the Alexa generation.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I've been stood up by sellers... I feel your pain.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    stangman67 wrote: »
    It just seems to be a general lack of give a s**t for other people. I'm a young guy and I notice it more and more with people of my age group, its just really disappointing to see on a day in and day out basis.

I hear ya. Had CL folks contact me with interest and never show up.
    And had a guy sell an item just before I arrived, even though we just got off the phone and told him I was on my way !!! Wiskey Tango Foxtrot !!!

And idiots not respecting the items they are shipping. Had some Polk RT35i's arrive in a box with absolutely no packaging !!! Obviously they were mangled upon arrival. Ebay has a good return policy now for damaged items, but Wiskey Tango Foxtrot !!!

I feel better now ... Thanks @stangman67 !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    It just common decency to let folks know one way or another.
    Most have neither common sense or decency these days.
    Live and learn and next time explain that NO it will not happen first one knocking on the door with cash in hand is the winner.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    DSkip wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I blame parents and the education system.

I swear I'm singlehandedly not responsible for this one.

I won't tip-toe around it...I blame Skip outright!

Seriously, I got to where I won't do much business on CL. Hate to say it, but, I profile. Depends on where they live that I use to formulate my decision about how much faith I put in to whether to trust them.

I've had people jerk me around too many times I pretty much stop selling things on CL.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2018
    Depends on what I’m selling and if shipping is gonna kill the deal.

That said I’ve not sold lots on CL lately and not much of any high fi except for my RTA 11TLs and a TT. Got asking price on both and sellers made it easy, but I was patient in finding the right sellers too.

I also know most of the local movers and shakers and try to leverage that to my advantage. And the ones to avoid google “Monster Reciever Guy”, “Indiana” and “chuck” if you want a laugh.

I’ve had a forum transaction or two go sideways but you take the law of averages and investigate your buyers rep beforehand by reading their posts and try to get a feel for their “douchebag” factor.

Tends to work, though I have to admit some folks have gotten through the screening process, for both good and bad... (names withheld to protect them :smile: ).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    Omfg, “Monster Receiver Guy” wore me out. I wish I could have located him!!!
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2018
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Omfg, “Monster Receiver Guy” wore me out. I wish I could have located him!!!

He told me my information was sent to the prosecutor and I could look forward to a visit from the police and a lawsuit. Along with various other nonsensical threats (because I work in the legal field I rebutted him with correct information a couple times which he didn’t like).

He then posted my name in some of his CL ads and inferred I was someone else lol.... Always fun with him.

He’s been trolling a buddy of mine for years with no recourse that wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg legally.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I sincerely appreciate you withholding my name, Dan! ;)
  • EndersShadow
    @kharp1

Were you by any chance the guy posting on the Louisville CL about avoiding chuck? A few of us got a giggle or two out of those postings if it was you....

PS I'm pretty sure I could get his address, but it isnt worth it honestly.
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2018
    scubalab wrote: »
    I sincerely appreciate you withholding my name, Dan! ;)

:no_mouth::wink:
  • kharp1
    edited January 2018
    @kharp1

Were you by any chance the guy posting on the Louisville CL about avoiding chuck? A few of us got a giggle or two out of those postings if it was you....

PS I'm pretty sure I could get his address, but it isnt worth it honestly.

I wasn't the only one, but, I did post that he was a nutjob. There's one other guy here that post about him every time he posts another phony ad. Ive got a lot of aggression I'd love to take out on him.
  • stangman67
    I must have been hibernating during all of this! Link me so I can have some entertainment at work this morning

• EndersShadow
    edited January 2018
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2018
    If you really want it, I have a email chain of about 15 emails back and forth from when I inquired about a Turntable he was selling I could send you for some serious enjoyment :smile:...

Just PM me your email address.
  • stangman67
    This is great entertainment before I have to go teach. Coffee and drama, my favorite

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Agree. Nothing pisses me off more than lateness or no shows. What I do is give people a 15 minute window, if they don't show, I don't answer the door. I let them know this ahead of time. I had a "buttcrack" on the phone asking him when he was coming (already late) and he says "on my way now" and NEVER showed. Why would say that knowing full well you have no intention of coming? That's when I started the 15 minute rule.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I call those folks back up between 2 &4 am. Then block their #.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I’ve had good and bad experiences on CL. Sold my 1C’s, 10’s, and 11T’s without too much problem. Dealt with low ball offers but that was the worst of it. Did try to sell a Samsung DLP that drew a nut job. Multiple emails and texts about the TV and set a day to come get it but after texting to let me know he was on the way to get it he never showed.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    I once answered an ad on craigslist for a camper. Corresponded over the course of 24 hours with the seller. Arranged a time to meet the next day to pick it up, up and exchange the title. Got a cashiers check from my bank, headed out the next morning at 6am for the 3 hour drive to the eastern shore. At 830am as I was pulling off the highway and into his town, he texted me to say that he sold the camper a half hour ago and that it was no longer available. I literally had to pull over, collect myself and try to keep from showing up at his house to have words. Not sure I have ever been more mad than that.......a waste of 5 hours and completely unnecessarily.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • FestYboy
    I'd have showed up... There would have been more than words. >:)
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Yeah people suck. Selling an old cheap car on craigslist is a special kind of hell. I hope to never do it again.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    This is exactly why I take a first person to put $$$ in my hand gets it approach.

It can seem jerkish at first, but I’ve turned away real buyers before while people wasted my time.

There are very few people that I will “hold” things for.
  • FestYboy
    I know you'll hold my thing... ;)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    FestYboy wrote: »

If you buy me dinner first...
  • FestYboy
    You better be a cheap date! McDonald's and PBR are about all I can swing for.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited January 2018
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »

If you buy me dinner first...

Jees your easy, I usually hold out for dancing to
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable