Bought my first worthy set of non-Polk Speakers! Eeek

stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,179
I almost feel like I've betrayed somebody. I currently have 14 polk speakers in the house and have had many many more over the past 10 or so years. That 14 will probably dwindle down to about 4 here over the next few weeks if I have my way. I've greatly enjoyed owning polks and I've been very happy with my 703's in my 2 channel setup, even going as far as telling a fellow Polkie a few days ago that my 2 channel setup would remain the same for a long long time. Of course as soon as I say that, I come across a deal I had a hard time passing up.

I have had my eye on the Focal Aria series for quite some time now but have been unable to hear them locally. Today I drove 2 and a half hours up to Pennsylvania to listen to a set of Aria 926's since World Wide Stereo just picked up Focal. I was hooked from the moment I set my ears on them, so extremely detailed yet effortless to listen to. They happened to be a grand off for a set in the walnut finish , so I could not say no! They did not have any in stock so they will ship them down to me when they come in, I am extremely excited! Now my 2 channel should be quite set for many years.

I will also say the people at World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, Pa are a joy to deal with. No commission, no pressure, just great help!

I know worthless without pics, they will come when I get the speaks in
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Well you picked a darn fine pair.
    Congrats
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Very nice, enjoy.....but ya know, these speakers will open that rabbit hole of upgrading everything else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    I hear you on that. My entering argument is that I upgraded everything else before the speakers and the speakers were the last piece in the puzzle.

In reality I know this is a constantly evolving and repeating process and someday this vicious cycle will repeat itself. I think though that I can be content in the makeup of my setup for a while though,

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice pick up! Focal has some fast sharp bass and again I don’t like using this term but fast mids. When I ran a set a while back, I found them very enjoyable but, sensitive on components. A bright component can make them almost unlistenable.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stangman67
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice pick up! Focal has some fast sharp bass and again I don’t like using this term but fast mids. When I ran a set a while back, I found them very enjoyable but, sensitive on components. A bright component can make them almost unlistenable.

That has certainly been the focal reputation, extensive research reveals that the aria line is a bit of a departure from typical Focal products with a focus on easier listening. My ears certainly tended to agree in the store where these were on a rotel solid state amp, which tends to be neutral IIRC and they did not seem bright at all. In fact they were very easy on my ears even at high volume. I am very sensitive to harsh highs and the 926s didn't set me off whatsoever.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    You Marantz is warmer sounding and your cables I had both, they are also a good match.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stangman67
    Thanks for the input, really hope it all vibes together, since I bought local returns are easy in case they just don't work out but I don't expect that to be the case

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I hear you on that. My entering argument is that I upgraded everything else before the speakers and the speakers were the last piece in the puzzle.

In reality I know this is a constantly evolving and repeating process and someday this vicious cycle will repeat itself. I think though that I can be content in the makeup of my setup for a while though,

Focal has five lines of speakers above the Aria line now, so there is more room for long term system growth! :)
  • stangman67
    It is crazy that a speaker brand has 5 tiers above a line that houses $5000 speakers. I highly doubt I will ever spend a ton more on speakers than I dropped on these

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Congratulations, nice deal. Will be interested to hear how they compare directly to the 703s.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    erniejade wrote: »

Have to agree here, you have to be very careful what you pair them with. The Aria line is not the typical focal sound. After hearing almost everything In the focal line, the Aria is where Focal really starts to get good. The speaker is dammed near perfect for the price point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My ears certainly tended to agree in the store where these were on a rotel solid state amp, which tends to be neutral IIRC and they did not seem bright at all.

This can be the dangerous part. How they sound in the store may, or may not, be how they sound in your room. It has been said many times that your room is the biggest component in your audio setup/system. I hope they work out for you! Please keep us posted :smile:

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • stangman67
    halo wrote: »
    My ears certainly tended to agree in the store where these were on a rotel solid state amp, which tends to be neutral IIRC and they did not seem bright at all.

This can be the dangerous part. How they sound in the store may, or may not, be how they sound in your room. It has been said many times that your room is the biggest component in your audio setup/system. I hope they work out for you! Please keep us posted :smile:

I am certainly aware, the return policy at the place I bought from is excellent so if it doesn't work out I will try something different

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited January 2018
    I've greatly enjoyed owning polks and I've been very happy with my 703's in my 2 channel setup, even going as far as telling a fellow Polkie a few days ago that my 2 channel setup would remain the same for a long long time. Of course as soon as I say that, I come across a deal I had a hard time passing up.

Yeah... I was wondering why you lied to me... Or I figured your concept of time was way out of whack! :p

Congrats on the Focals Zach. Looking forward to your impressions once you get them.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Nice!

Enjoy the new speakers!