Best Entry level Receiver?

wcostin
wcostin Posts: 25
edited February 2002 in Technical/Setup
Any suggestions on best entry level Digital Receiver?
I am looking at the Denon 1602. I just purchased the Polk
rm6200's, so what would work good with these little guys?
Please let me know.

Thanks,

Wayne
Post edited by wcostin on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    hang on to your seat this thread is going to explode with advice..
    i am partial to any of the onkyo's. i have had 3 and they have been good to me.:)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    you are trying to stay around the $300 mark i am guessing?
    i would also look at these:

Onkyo TX-DS494

Marantz SR-4200 Receiver
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2002
    .....the best advice I can give you is this: go out and listen to as many as you can. Being an educated consumer, armed with the internet, I am sure you can figure out what makes are out there in your price range with the features you are looking for.

Having said that, and I'm not trying to piss anyone off, what sounds good to me may sound like crap to someone else. See what I am driving at here? I say this not to offend anyone but lately it seems there are a lot of "what should I buy **** or ****, or which is better **** or ****" threads. Nothing wrong with soliciting opinions or people offering them. I'm just saying, go out and demo the gear you are interested in and let YOUR ears be the judge.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Ed Zachry.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    hearing is beleiving in this business, it's the only way you are really going to know...
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    great advice troy
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • wcostin
    wcostin Posts: 25
    edited February 2002
    Thanks for the advice.
    I guess I am partial to Denon since that is what i own now (AVR-900). But I have noticed that Polk seems to pair up a lot with Onkyo...so was just soliciting some opinions.
    Basically, I am looking at Denon, Onkyo, and Harmon Kardon.
    Used to own a Nakamichi receiver back in the early 90's...loved that machine, but they don't seem to carry a lot anymore or are hard to find.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    I have some nice upper end stuff but I got a old silver onkyo txsr303 for the bedroom .
    if you want something w/big amps and lots of features this onkyo wont do it but this sounds good and always works with my powered sub and my kef, Polk combo up front
  • Necro threading
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    It's like those scenes early in Close Encounters of the Third Kind when the Navy aircraft lost in the Bermuda Triangle suddenly reappear...