6ohm or 8ohm

Wesmo
Wesmo Posts: 74
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I just bought a new onkyo 696 receiver yesterday (quite awesome!), and am running 600i's for the front, a 245i for the center, and pioneer rears. I was wondering if it would be best to set the receiver to 6ohm or 8ohm. Would i risk damaging anything with the lower resistance?
Post edited by Wesmo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Your speakers are rated at 8ohm.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    4/8 or 6/8 ohm switches, as far as I know, are a UL requirement (for some equipment) that actually lower your potential power output when running lower-ohm speakers, in order to keep you from frying the receiver. However, this would seem to increase the possibility of clipping, due to less power output when the switch is set to 4 or 6. If you have a switch like this, I think that you are better off with 8-ohm speakers & the switch set at 8 ohms. You can run lower-ohm speakers, but the presence of such a switch is a sign that the receiver is a "borderline" case when it comes to running lower-ohm loads. If someone has more insight into this, please contribute. I originally thought that these switches were wonderful devices that allowed the use of a greater variety of speakers, but the bulk of what I've read about them lately indicates that they are in essence, a great argument for seperates!:confused:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    I have an older Nad receiver with a '4ohm normal - 8ohm high' switch.....can't tell a bit of difference running 8 ohm speakers.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I agree with Ron-P. Your speakers are rated for 8ohms (I think) and should be treated as such.

Russ - I too have mine set to 4-6 ohm and haven't found a difference in sound. I swap speakers often and would like to be prepared. But if I ever get a chance to audition some 16 ohm(ers), I'll make sure to flip the switch.

meestercleef - The presence of these switches does indeed verify the need of seperates. But you have to admit rcvr manufacturers are finally admitting to the need of driving these more difficult loads. Before it was a hit and miss. I also have a different understanding than you on watts/ohm. To the best of my knowledge 1/2 the ohms=2x wattage (in a nutshell). This isn't always true and the waves can be clipped accordingly (my case= 120@8 & 120@4) to somebody expecting the 1/2Ohm=2xWATTS rule.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    This is getting confusing. One explanation I read stated that UL certification requirements cause the recvr's max rated wattage to be reduced when 4 ohm switch used. But--if lower ohm spkrs cause increased current draw, then perhaps the 4 ohm switch is merely a "balancing" device that compensates for the increased draw caused by the 4-ohm spkrs, thereby causing everything to basically come out equal in the end? Does this make any sense?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • rkrooney
    rkrooney Posts: 5
    edited April 2002
    Actuallly it depends on your pioneer speakers. Your Onkyo manual will tell you to select "4 ohms" if even one of your speakers is between 4 and 6 ohms. If your pioneers are 6 to 8 ohms then select the "6 ohm" setting.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    its simple the lower impedance setting just increases the voltage to the out put transistors THUS making it a SAFER setting in case you run different impedance speakers .
    this came from a amplifier repair tech
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    20hz wrote: »
    its simple the lower impedance setting just increases the voltage to the out put transistors THUS making it a SAFER setting in case you run different impedance speakers .
    this came from a amplifier repair tech

It's been over 15 years since the last post was made... ;)
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."